Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:33:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 389942 times)
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

I think I finally realised why Portal 2 left me feeling unsatisfied. The puzzles never really visualised the insanity of Caroline's story. The puzzles and mood I'm picking up from this trailer would have helped convey the horror, loneliness and despair. Haha, that's probably not what you're going for though Smiley

Interesting... I'm actually not quite sure exactly what mood I was going for. Loneliness, yes, but I don't know about despair and horror.

I just rewatched the cut with your comment in mind, and I think there is a bit of that darkness. The game is supposed to be an exploration of reality and perception, and it may be turning out darker than I had intended.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and for taking the time to watch the video! Really appreciate it.  Coffee

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »

Just watched the trailer and I have to say - I bloody love it. It really does add a darker/lonely feel to the game, it feels like you're all alone in this strange world. It's sortof the feeling I got with Portal at the start. Even if that wasn't the intended theme, it still rocks and I think you should stick with it.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »

Just watched the trailer and I have to say - I bloody love it. It really does add a darker/lonely feel to the game, it feels like you're all alone in this strange world. It's sortof the feeling I got with Portal at the start. Even if that wasn't the intended theme, it still rocks and I think you should stick with it.

Thank you!  Beer! You're right about the Portal-esque feel at the beginning. I will definitely stick with it. I think at the beginning of the game development, when I didn't have a clear sense of where the game was going, I kept trying to get as far away from Portal as I could, just because it was so easy to fall into the trap of copying everything it did.

However, now that development is much farther along, and I know that the majority of the game has aspects that are totally different from Portal, I'm much more comfortable having certain elements that are similar. Feeling alone in a strange world is definitely the sense I want the player to have.

One thing I plan to do with the next version of the trailer is show more of the gravity shifting mechanic and gameplay with the cubes. Those tend to be faster, more action-y sequences, so I couldn't really find a way to fit it in with this track (which seems more appropriate for slow, panning, shots). However, I'm starting to work with a friend on sound and music, so we can create a track that has both slow parts and fast parts to capture all the shots.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »

Thank you!  Beer! You're right about the Portal-esque feel at the beginning. I will definitely stick with it. I think at the beginning of the game development, when I didn't have a clear sense of where the game was going, I kept trying to get as far away from Portal as I could, just because it was so easy to fall into the trap of copying everything it did.

However, now that development is much farther along, and I know that the majority of the game has aspects that are totally different from Portal, I'm much more comfortable having certain elements that are similar. Feeling alone in a strange world is definitely the sense I want the player to have.

One thing I plan to do with the next version of the trailer is show more of the gravity shifting mechanic and gameplay with the cubes. Those tend to be faster, more action-y sequences, so I couldn't really find a way to fit it in with this track (which seems more appropriate for slow, panning, shots). However, I'm starting to work with a friend on sound and music, so we can create a track that has both slow parts and fast parts to capture all the shots.

I think you should give this a watch:

For a trailer I think you should convey the lonely aspect of it, and then gradually get into an action sequence and have more fast placed music playing and then perhaps end it on a subtle note that makes you either feel lonely still, or makes you want to know more about the story (for example when glados wakes up in the above trailer). When that trailer gets into the fast paced music, it makes you really feel like you want that game. Well edited montages seem to be the way to go.

I do hate referencing portal, as I'm sure you do. Granted it's similar in some ways, but like you said, it does have a lot of different aspects. Really can't wait for a playable build of this!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »

I think you should give this a watch:

Oh man, I haven't watched that in so long. Having gone through the process once myself, it makes me really appreciate what Valve's done  in this trailer a whole lot more. I'm going to start doing more animations of environmental components at the beginning of next year, so will have more of those fast-paced sequences.

Really can't wait for a playable build of this!
Working on it! Aiming to get a beta version out in mid-February. You're on the list to get a copy!

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »

Your promo video looks beautiful. I love the water and effects! The music works so well with it too, good choice!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »

Your promo video looks beautiful. I love the water and effects! The music works so well with it too, good choice!

Thank you! Really appreciate it.  Coffee

Moving forward, I'm planning on having more water scenes and moving effects. I'd like to have watetfalls that you can manipulate using different gravities fields, but I need to figure out a way to do fluid mechanics in 3D efficiently.

Also, starting to work with a sound/music designer, so we'll have music that's even more appropriate.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »

Here's a shot of a level I'm currently working on. It's about a quarter of the way done. I realized a week ago that I could color-code different sections while modeling, and that's made things much easier for me.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

Also, just submitted Relativity to the Indie MEGABOOTH at PAX East! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »

put me on a list for a copy of the alpha. if i can do a review of this once the febuary build comes out i would be so freaking happy.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 07:34:06 PM »

also, mind if i reference this in a vlog? ill post the link to the thread and the trailer, if its alright with you.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »

also, mind if i reference this in a vlog? ill post the link to the thread and the trailer, if its alright with you.

Hey Conner, no problem. Go ahead and reference it in a vlog. Would love to see the video too when it's up.

Cheers!   Coffee

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 10:49:34 PM »

Screenshot of a building I'm currently making, the Library. It's about 50% finished. Going to try to finish it tonight while listening to the Portal 2 soundtrack.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »

Ok, I think this is as far as I'm going to get with this building for tonight. It's about 90% done, just needs some lights and some dividing walls and it should be good.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

Point lights and lightmaps can make a big difference!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 07:48:54 AM »

DevLog Update #7 - 12/17/2013

I met with Kiku, the sound designer and composer, on Sunday to discuss the music of Relativity. I'm learning that working in a team is very different from working solo.

For one thing, I've come to appreciate the power of design documents. Up until now, I hadn't created a design document for Relativity, nor did I feel the need to. However, I think when you're working in a team, it becomes a really powerful way to make sure everyone is on the same page.

I am continuing to expand the world within the game. Not doing so much programming these days. Mostly modeling and high-level design work on paper. Really looking forward to taking several days off next week to relax.

The level codenamed "The City" is the one I'm still working on. It's about 70% complete now.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »

DevLog Update #8 - 12/19/2013

Finished working on the design doc. Now back to the fun stuff - programming and modeling.

Working on a new building I'm calling "City Hall" for now.

Here are few shots of it from different angles:

And here's a shot of the entire level it is in:

Trilaterus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

Wow, this mechanic is really awesome! It's always nice to see games that are inspired by none game things (mc escher NOT portal :P) and that leads to some really interesting games!

I might have read these posts a bit quickly to catch up but what is the goal in each level? Sorry if I've completely missed it but I too engrossed in the amazing screenshots :D

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »

Wow, this mechanic is really awesome! It's always nice to see games that are inspired by none game things (mc escher NOT portal Tongue) and that leads to some really interesting games!

Thanks so much! Really happy to hear that.

I might have read these posts a bit quickly to catch up but what is the goal in each level? Sorry if I've completely missed it but I too engrossed in the amazing screenshots :D

I didn't actually discuss the goals of the levels in these posts, so no worries. There are a number of different types of puzzles - some are physics-based spatial puzzles, and some are environmental/observation puzzles.

For the physics-based puzzles, usually it's about getting different cubes in the right place to trigger a door to open. Since the cubes will often belong to different gravity fields, you need to understand how they affect one another in the space. Most of these are pretty self-contained and similar to the structure of puzzles in the Portal series.

Then there are the environmental / observation puzzles, which is more about paying attention to the environment, and uncovering the mystery of the world. There could be puzzles that span multiple levels. You might have to figure out how to turn on machines, or decipher out passwords. These are much more like the puzzles in Myst.

So there isn't really a specific goal of collecting all the magic cubes, or getting a certain score, or killing a boss. The game is more about exploring the world, understanding its physical laws, and uncovering its mysteries.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 04:06:29 AM »

DevLog Update #9 - 12/20/2013

I've been trying to optimize the latest scene in Unity3D, but have been having very little success. I've been trying to merge meshes, but this kept causing Unity to crash. The first time it happened, I think I lost about 3 hours of work, which was pretty frustrating.

Using the Profiler, I know that the problem is due to rendering taking way to long. I'm averaging about 24 FPS, which is unacceptable.

Here's what the Profiler is showing me:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic