Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:54:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 394304 times)
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: September 30, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »

Holy moly! This looks so damn good! No, no need to worry about it looking to generic. It sorta reminds me of it being a beautiful painting actually. And the name, which someone here already pointed out, is great. Feels very mysterious and intriguing.

Will be following this very closely!

Thank you! I wanted every screenshot to look like it could be a print. Seems like it's working!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #861 on: September 30, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »

Devlog Update #251 - 09/30/2015

TwitchCon Thoughts

I went to TwitchCon last week. It was a very interesting and eye-opening experience.

Here are some my thoughts based on what I learned and observed. It isn't supposed to be a guide to development streaming or anything. Most of it is specific to my situation, but I thought it'd be of interest to others.

Context

I started streaming on Twitch in June of this year (here's my channel btw: http://www.twitch.tv/williamchyr)

Initially, I did a few random streams to test out the water, and then decided to go full throttle and stream every weekday. I did this straight through from the start of July to TwitchCon.

My schedule was Monday to Friday, 8:30pm to 10:00pm central. I did mostly development streams, and on Friday, I'd do a "game design critique" where I played a work-in-progress game and spoke with the designer. These were really awesome and I enjoyed it a lot.

My main motivation in starting to stream was just to understand streaming culture and what it was all about. Aside from owning an N64 as a kid, I didn't play video games prior to starting development of Manifold Garden. I also rarely play multiplayer games.
My online multiplayer gaming experience consists of: 2 rounds of Rocket League, and 1 unfinished game of Civ 5 with a friend. Oh, and Journey (does that count?)

All this is to say, I'm still relatively new to video games, and even more so to streaming. However, I was really curious about it so I decided to give it a go.

TwitchCon

TwitchCon was very much unlike any event I’ve ever been to.

There were a lot of people with purple hair and purple clothing (Do people wear blue at facebook events?) It also took some getting used to with everyone introducing themselves with their twitch handles.

It was really interesting to learn more about the community aspects of Twitch. I heard it a lot, but I really had to see it in person.

For example, I met several streamers in the Crypt of the Necrodancer Speedruning community, and it was really amazing to hear of the events they’d organize. Definitely a large part of this was that the developers really engaged with streamers early on with events like the NecroThon, but the community also took on a life of its own. The streamers told me about different play modes they had invented, how they would exchange tips/strategies, and help each other out in different levels. They also told me about "leprechaun hunting" mode in NecroDancer, which was a mode that was actually developed after seeing what speedrunners were doing with the game (I think?)

I’m not really sure how this would apply to my game. Several people told me that puzzle games don’t really do well on twitch, because streamer don’t like to look like they’re stuck. However, I did also meet streamers who told me that they love puzzle games, and it gives them an opportunity to have discussions with their chat.

Interestingly, Crypt of the Necrodancer, is supposedly a non-streamer friendly game because it’s super hard to play and talk/read chat at the same time. And yet, a really strong streaming community has formed around it.

So, I don’t really know what to make of this except that there’s a pretty big variety of streamers, and they all have different styles and preferences. I’m not really sure the format my game will take on Twitch. I'm not going to change the game just so it's streamer-friendly. Perhaps speedrunning it will be very popular, or maybe the level editor? Anyway, just stuff to think about.

Development Streaming

On Saturday, I went to a panel about development streaming.

The devs all seemed to be suggesting that you needed to focus on stream first and game second, and you had to appeal to people with giant alerts when people signed up (like explosions) or giveaways.

I’m not really sure I agree with this.

Some of my favorite development streams are Jonathan Blow, Handmade Hero, Shawn McGrath, and Lisa Brown.

I watch these mainly for the content, and in order to learn from them. They all have very minimalist overlays. To me, the content alone is fascinating enough, and anything else would just be a distraction.

Of course, I’m not exactly the average gamer, and these are obviously interesting mainly to be people interested in game development or game design.

However, my game is also a slow, contemplative exploration puzzle game. For me to have explosions going off when someone follows the channel just doesn’t really make sense.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents. Take from it what you will. I think I will continue with a very minimalist stream, and focus mainly on the game, as I think that’s mainly what people watching my stream are interested in.

New Streaming Schedule

After speaking with a few people at TwitchCon, I've also decided to reduce the number of times I stream.

This is not because I don't like streaming. Quite the contrary. However, when I was doing it every day, I was always coming on to the stream at the end of a long day, when I exhausted, and the stream just consisted of me being frustrated that the code isn't working.

If all you saw of me was what was on the stream, I would seem like a really angry and grumpy person.

There were definitely some really cool moments that were captured, like when I figured out how to solve the edge detection artifact that had been bothering me for almost two years, but those are pretty rare.

Instead of streaming every weekday, I'm just going to do twice a week. Wednesday evening when I do development and updates on the project, and Friday evening when I do the game design critique. This way, each stream can be much more focused and show a lot more content.

Quality over quantity.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »

I have been following the game for a long time now and it I think changing the name from Relativity was a very sound decision. Manifold Garden is beautifully poetic and I can already see it added to the list of cerebral, well-named puzzle platformers alongside the likes of Braid and Tesla Grad.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: October 01, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »

I have been following the game for a long time now and it I think changing the name from Relativity was a very sound decision. Manifold Garden is beautifully poetic and I can already see it added to the list of cerebral, well-named puzzle platformers alongside the likes of Braid and Tesla Grad.

Thank you! :D

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: October 01, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »

Devlog Update #252 - 10/02/2015

Progress on tree generator:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: October 02, 2015, 02:13:34 AM »

Nice!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »

Devlog Update #253 - 10/04/2015

Reading through the code for water. I'm finally starting to figure out what's going on.

It feels good to finally get back into coding again. Been so busy last few weeks with non-development work.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: October 04, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »

Devlog Update #254 - 10/05/2015

One stream of water is an entire mesh, and it's redrawn every frame.

Played around with drawing meshes to figure out how things work:

Anorak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 05, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »

How are you going to distribute this game? ie Steam or EA(I hope not) ect.
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: October 05, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »

How are you going to distribute this game? ie Steam or EA(I hope not) ect.

It'll be on PC and PS4. For PC, will most likely go with Steam and humble store. I haven't looked into it very closely yet.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »

Devlog Update #255 - 10/06/2015

First Day of Unity Tools Programming

Long day of diving into Unity editor scripting. Not as productive as I would have liked, but finally getting somewhere by the end.

It's been so long since I've had a whole day where I just focused on coding.

While I don't particularly enjoy programming, it felt great to get back into that mindset again.

The mix of constant frustration and the joy/relief when you finally get something working.

Ah....

So basically, I'm trying to write a tool that will let me make these lines easily:

At the moment, each line is made up a bunch of segments that I place individually, and it is a massive pain in the butt.

I'm going to be making a lot of these lines, so it's best I main the process as painless as possible.

Lots of weird things about editor scripts in Unity, like the scene view not updating until I click on the inspector (uggghhh!)

I managed to get the blue lines to follow my cursor around in the scene view:

Eventually, I got a asset from the asset store that does mesh painting. It's not exactly what I need, but it has a feature that would be really useful.

I'm starting to go through the code to extract to relevant stuff I need, and then will build the tool from there.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »

Devlog Update #256 - 10/07/2015

Line Drawer Tool Continued

Made good progress on the line drawer tool today.

Mostly this consisted of ripping out the relevant parts I needed from the asset I got, and deleting everything else. I also had to made it work slightly differently. Basically, I needed to apply to every object in the scene (at least the geometry), and not just the one that I have selected.

I now have it where I can raycast from my mouse cursor in the scene view, and place a box on whatever geometry is right beneath the cursor.

The red box is the geometry I've placed.

The black circle bullseye thing is my "paintbrush" that lets me know I'm in this mode.

I need to make red boxes align to grid, and then create a mesh based on the red box position and order.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: October 08, 2015, 12:10:46 AM »

Devlog Update #257 - 10/08/2015

Line Drawer Tool Basic UI

Got a lot done today on the tool.

It now works from within an editor window instead of needing a script on an object.

I also have rectangles that project on the geometry which shows where are the areas to place subsequent markers.

The brush itself also changes color to show you where you can place the next marker.

Started working on mesh generation. It's actually pretty much the exact same system that we're doing for water mesh generation, so I'm starting by copying that over.

It's a little less complicated, so I'll be deleting a bunch of stuff I don't need to clean it up and go from there.

Should have basic line mesh generation done by tomorrow.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: October 23, 2015, 01:34:12 AM »

I had always wondered how you constructed the lines in Manifold garden. I can imagine placing sections manually will make the process far more efficient!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: October 26, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »

Devlog Update #258 - 10/26/2015

Line Drawer, Tree Generator, and Video Game Art Gallery

Long overdue update. Been super busy lately. Let's get to the good stuff.

Line Drawer

Finally got the line drawer tool working.

Having to place each line as a separate prefab and making sure it was oriented the right way, in the right order in the hierarchy etc, was just a massive pain. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Using the line drawer, the line that is formed is just a single mesh. It's actually pretty similar to the way water is drawn in the game as well. The entire waterfall is one single mesh that's redrawn every frame.

To use the line drawer, I just have to place down a series of markers:

At each point of the marker, there is a visual peg that helps me see the orientation. This was mainly for debugging purposes when I was first writing the code, just to make sure that the orientation of each marker was correct.

The red arrow is the forward direction of the marker. The white arrow is the right direction. The blue cube is the position of the right vertex and the yellow cube is the position of the yellow vertex.

The tool keeps a list of each marker as it's placed, and uses their position to calculate whether a bend is right or left and sets the vertices accordingly. For example, if bending to the right, that means the right vertex will be on the inside corner, while the left vertex is on the outside corner.

There's a bit of list gymnastics with this, where you have to wait until the next marker is placed down before you can set all the info on the current marker. For example, let's say we're on marker #5. We don't know whether marker #5 bends to the right or to the left, or upwards or downwards, until marker #6 is placed. So only after #6 is placed, can we use that info to send the bend on #5.

As you can see, we can also change the normal of the different markers and the tool adjusts accordingly:

Tree Generator

Still working on this, but we're almost there.

David started the tool and got a lot of the basics in place.

Instead of using matrices passing them from parent to child to handle translation and rotation, he set it up so that it's using the world coordinates to do position offset and deciding which faces to extrude. As such, there is actually no rotation going on.

The key to the tree generator is that it needs to fill in a defined space. I'll be designing level, and there'll be a 15 x 30 x 20 volume of space for a tree that goes in. The generator needs to create a tree that fills that. It can be smaller but no bigger.

This is why it doesn't make sense to use only a pre-made set of trees. We don't get enough variations for all the different sizes that we need.

The way the algorithm works is using "trunk paths". A "trunk path" is a single line of vertical and horizontal tree pieces. The further along the trunk path is, the higher the likelihood of a "split". Once a split happens, we get either 2 or 3 new trunk paths.

The beginning of trunk paths are color coded yellow. Vertical trunk paths are dark blue. Horizontal trunk paths are light blue.

Branches start out as red, and are pink or white, depending on vertical or horizontal.

The end of the branch should always go up and is color coded black.

I need to add a raycast system so branches don't grow into each other. To prevent tree parts from growing back onto themselves, we use lists to keep track of the direction and then make sure new pieces don't grow in the direction of the inverse of the last two horizontal directions.

Video Game Art Gallery - Exhibition Opening

Video Game Art Gallery exhibited a number of prints I had made with Manifold Garden two weeks ago.

It was part of the Chicago Architecture Biennial, and was supported by the Graham Foundation.

The opening was on Friday, October 16th. Here are some photos from the event:

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: October 29, 2015, 01:35:16 AM »

Devlog Update #259 - 10/29/2015

Lots of cool things to post about!

Manifold Garden Mention on Giant Bomb!

Check out this interview with Jonathan Blow on Giant Bomb because

1) The Witness is going to be awesome!

2) At the end of the interview (47:00 time mark), Jonathan is asked:

What was the last game you played that you feel "This has something".

Jonathan responds with Miegakure and Manifold Garden! He says "it feels like a game that really knows what it wants to do" and "just goes straight there and doesn't mess around with other things".

Wow! Incredibly honored!

IndieMagFR

If you can read French, IndieMag wrote about Manifold Garden!

Très franchement, nous sommes particulièrement emballés par ce jeu aux "géométries impossibles" et soyez certains d'être les premiers informés dès la mention d'une date de sortie pour ce Manifold Garden !

Merci beaucoup IndieMag!

Manifold Garden Wallpaper Auto-Cycle

Ever wanted to automatically fetch and cycle through Manifold Garden images for your wallpaper? Now you can!

Thanks to @pkqk, there's now a shell script to automatically fetch images from the Manifold Garden tumblr page and cycle through them as your wallpaper.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: November 01, 2015, 01:44:23 AM »

Devlog Update #260 - 11/01/2015

Tree Generator

Finally got the tree generator algorithm down! The tool is still not fully complete. We still need to add in features like mesh merging, applying final material, auto-make prefab, auto-name, etc. But those are all pretty minor stuff that should be very simple to add.

The important part is the algorithm, and that is now done.

Here are some images showing the tool and trees generated:

Here's a gif showing a wide range of trees being generated with the tool, all using the same parameters:

A major part of what made the algorithm relatively easy to work with was we stuck with world coordinates for the directions (David's idea!), instead of using local rotations and matrices to pass down information from parent to child (totally what I would have done). So vector3.up was up for every trunk and branch, which is quite important, because the rules guiding horizontal and vertical growth are quite different (different probabilities, lengths, restrictions, etc).

I made a video explaining more of the process, why we chose to write this tool, and show some of the different variables that can be tweaked:

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #877 on: November 08, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »

Listened to two BigSushi.fm podcasts about this game and it was pretty interesting to see the relation between the game and your process as an installation artist. There is something of both in there, and it really shows.

Also the new name (maybe old by now?) is pretty cool. Better than the other ideas you mentioned on the podcast Tongue

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: November 10, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »

Hey I've been seeing your updates on twitter, I only just realised that Manifold Garden == Relativity. Ha Smiley Also n1 with the Bob Ross account Wink

Game is also looking fantastic.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: November 21, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »

Listened to two BigSushi.fm podcasts about this game and it was pretty interesting to see the relation between the game and your process as an installation artist. There is something of both in there, and it really shows.

Also the new name (maybe old by now?) is pretty cool. Better than the other ideas you mentioned on the podcast Tongue

Thanks so much! Really glad to hear that. BigSushi is awesome. :D

Hey I've been seeing your updates on twitter, I only just realised that Manifold Garden == Relativity. Ha Smiley Also n1 with the Bob Ross account Wink

Game is also looking fantastic.

I thought I was being pretty clear about the name transition. I guess you can't ever really over-market Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic