Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 04:40:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGetting something done OR Why I can never acomplish anything
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Getting something done OR Why I can never acomplish anything  (Read 3576 times)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 02:41:02 AM »

Ah, you're definitely right!

Replace "lasts" with "takes" and stick a "to make" at the end of each sentence.

(well, maybe it doesn't make as much sense to create a game in ten seconds, but you can definitely attempt it Tongue)

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 03:49:45 AM »

I've done this pretty much all my life. New ideas, ideas, ideas. Later, recycle and combine old ideas. Then come up with some more ideas.

And although I also program for a living, and (according to some people) am a decent pixel artist, I just can't get anything done for the life of me. (I also compose, by the way)

The thing that puts me off the most are those little, boring mundane tasks that need to be done. You know what I'm talking about. GUI, basic rendering systems, user input, framework...

I need other people to keep me motivated and inspired. Trouble is, other people don't have as much free time as me. My friends with whom I make these games are always too busy with something or other. It's not that I really even need help per se, but just someone to talk about my idea and get feedback.

Simply making a thread at some random forum doesn't cut it because I don't know those people. I don't know if they share my mentality, my vision. Then... Perhaps, it was a good thing I found TIGSource. We'll see.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:29 AM »

Something that I find helps: make a pact with yourself to do 'some' work on your game every evening, or every weekend morning or whatever.

Obviously, sometimes you'll just add a couple of lines of code and then go watch TV - but at other times you'll sit down when not really in the mood to work on your project, and yet find yourself getting caught up in adding a major feature or tracking down a niggling bug.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.
I'm going to take a hopefully brief hiatus from trying to actually accomplish anything, and then give it a shot again after the new year.
I think I'll start with something small that I really want to see done, and go from there.

Egoraptor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

Personally, when I tackle a big project, I look at it in pieces that I know I'm willing to put time into. The key, I think, is satisfaction. When I finish a piece, I'm satisfied with it, and move on to the next piece. There's always a constant flow of ambition, excitement, and then satisfaction.

I think what's getting you down is just the fact that you don't get anything done, which is perpetual. You don't get anything done because you're afraid of not getting anything done. So think of one big project as a bunch of tiny projects that you're finishing in a row. I mean, if we all looked at our lives as "I'm not making a million dollars yet, I'm never going to!" or something like that, well, we'd never make a million dollars, haha. But if we save a little bit of that paycheck a week or something, each addition has a level of satisfaction to it, and even if we never reach that million dollar mark, at least we have what we worked on, and we can use whatever we have to better our future projects.

You're only one person, and a game is a big project to tackle! You work at your own pace, and you should set your own pace accordingly. =)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic