Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:22:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVagante Alpha 8 Demo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Vagante Alpha 8 Demo  (Read 76715 times)
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »

This is looking really nice. What are you using to make it? How is the light system programmed?

The lighting is done through two steps.

First, we determine the light values of each tile by using a recursive shadowcasting algorithm.

After that, we take these light values and smoothly corner-interpolate between the values to create the shadow overlay, a 2D grid of quads.

Then for extra flavor it's just a matter of adding a non-instantaneous light decay rate, a fog-of-war system, and support for non-discrete light origins (by slightly modifying first step).

We've implemented this using the CPU as well as using a graphics shader, so the player can toggle between whichever is faster on their machine Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »

Radness :D

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »

We're almost done with shops!

Buying stuff:
//////////////////

Stealing stuff:
//////////////////

yessss I like it
the main issue I have so far is that things don't contrast well with the background.
the shopkeeper looks perfect, but the player blends in a lot. hard to see.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »

totes agree
he'll get a slight makeover before demo release
there's so much stuff to dooooooo
juan
Level 0

I need scissors! 61!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 12:42:29 AM »

yo, this looks cool. looking forward to some sort of demo, keep it up man Smiley

i promise i'm making a game.
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »

there's so much stuff to dooooooo
I know the feeling
gl brew
I am excited for demo

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

This is looking super cool! I really like the art and style, but it looks like some things have hard black outlines (such as the shop keeper) while others (the main character and items) do not - is this intentional? Could be an interesting way of differentiating some in game things from others.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »

Yea it's been mentioned quite a bit, I think projects usually tend to outgrow their original assets when the design also grows, also I'm probably much better at pixel art after 3 months of working on this. It's a good thing that we're keeping the resolution pretty low or I might get hung up on redesigning everything : )  I'll try to get around to adding a darker silhouette on the player sprites soon.
Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »

Very nice stuff, are you going to change up the sprites at all with the armor you buy?

I was expecting him to put on that massive helmet in the screen above and have two little legs sticking out the bottom.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »

Not something we're planning on implementing, we like that each class will have distinct designs that won't be covered up by using the same graphics for equipment, I guess it's possible to do something like the diablo games where the equipment changes were kind of distinct for each class but it's just a lot more work/not something we think is worth it at this point. 

edit: At some point I'm hoping to make the animations spiffier, which would just be insane trying to do that with the different equipment.  Having more modular graphics which would also make the animations very stiff and cut-out looking, not something I want in the end.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:26:14 PM by keo » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »

Spent the last two weeks working on the intro, hopefully get the initial brushwork done in a couple days, cleaning up is gonna take about as much time Shocked

Made the transition from aseprite to photoshop which has made a lot things easier.  I was shown how to use ps actions to automate tasks, one of the things people have mentioned is that the player frames needs to be recolored as he blends in too much with the background. 

I setup a ps doc of his frames compiled, and a couple of adjustment layers ontop of his frames, then recorded an action making each layer visible one by one and saving them to their respective sheets, cropping a couple of animations as it goes.  I'll have actions and docs setup to do the same for the other sprites soon which will make recoloring easy.

we'll have some cool stuff to show in a couple days I think : )
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 01:15:10 AM »

This is looking really nice. What are you using to make it? How is the light system programmed?

The lighting is done through two steps.

First, we determine the light values of each tile by using a recursive shadowcasting algorithm.

After that, we take these light values and smoothly corner-interpolate between the values to create the shadow overlay, a 2D grid of quads.

Then for extra flavor it's just a matter of adding a non-instantaneous light decay rate, a fog-of-war system, and support for non-discrete light origins (by slightly modifying first step).

We've implemented this using the CPU as well as using a graphics shader, so the player can toggle between whichever is faster on their machine Smiley

Thanks for the details! Great work.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »

ah smart objects, they're so useful.
the intro's composed of several parallax layers and can be overwhelming to work on so many at once, using smart objects as layers I can edit their contents individual in separate tabs, which filters and lets me focus on each layer individually.
The main ps doc I have set animated to preview the parallax in action, having doubled each layer in order to loop within the scene.  since they're smart objects they update when their files are changed.  helps me see when edges don't match when tiled.
Spennerino
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

I am really enjoying the artistic design in the blog. Following!

Twitter: @Spennerino TIG: Mimix

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »

that minimap is gorgeous

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »

thanks ^ _ ^ minimap wasn't too hard, basic cross pattern dithering around the edges with tears to age it.  I think we're gonna replace the most of the gui pretty soon, we'll have something pretty cool to look at tho.

Finished the bulk of the work for the intro, gui and caravan are placeholder/wip.  there are still quite a few things I want to polish, clean and change - but at a later point I can't look at this anymore :{ I compiled the process for you guys tho  Beer!

Overall pretty happy, it's not something I've had the chance to work on before, landscapes are definitely a weak point for me.  Learned a lot and feel much more comfortable painting, and working inside photoshop.  PS mixer brush what! yea didn't use it too much but definitely going to be useful.

Hope you guys like it, def lemme know if you have suggestions
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2014, 02:38:41 PM »

Bam! Animated GIF!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »