Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:09:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVagante Alpha 8 Demo
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Vagante Alpha 8 Demo  (Read 76714 times)
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »

you know I had a dream of ron swanson 2 nights ago
he stood over a tub filled with beer
holding a liter of czech beer
two men about to wrestle sitting in the tub
I dunno why he told me he was drinking soda
my gf was with me and we got into a discussion about czech beer
end of dream
you know how when talk about dreams they always sound boring
this is one of those times

also thanks yo
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »

i wish i was half as talented as you at game making and dream having

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Embarrassed
well
that's
just
a
nice
thing
to
say
to
someone
thank
you
I
hope
ron
appears
in
your
dream
with
life
wisdom
on
game
making
or
wood
working
Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

Everything about this looks amazing. Seriously, SERIOUSLY loving it.

Conker534
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »

following, how have I not seen this thread.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »

nice! love the wagon gif

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »

This looks great! Love the idea, but it does sound tricky to mix metroidvania with procedural maps.

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »

ya this wagon gif looks sweet. (i liked it a little more with the black tree in the front, gave it more depth)

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »

Is there a name for those critters pulling the wagon?
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »

yer mother

boom

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »

Everything about this looks amazing. Seriously, SERIOUSLY loving it.
following, how have I not seen this thread.
nice! love the wagon gif

hi hello welcome thank you

ya this wagon gif looks sweet. (i liked it a little more with the black tree in the front, gave it more depth)

I liked it too, but since all the layers are only screen width, it created sort of a strobe effect (not really strobe effect) as it passed every second that was an eyesore, not to mention it made it more apparent than it is already that you are seeing the same scenery over and over again.  Maybe at a later point we'll add more dynamic foreground, midground, background elements, but right now it's not a priority.

lemme give you a hint as to how we refer to our creatures: bat, goblin, spider bomber, lurker, goblin general, baby dragon, worm.  this one we're calling pigs.

This looks great! Love the idea, but it does sound tricky to mix metroidvania with procedural maps.

I don't know how much metroidvanian it actually is.  Is that in the OP?  I should really update that, initially that was the idea to have abilities that acted like keys in order to progress.  Right now it plays more like an action-adventure rpg, off the top of my head Rouge Legacy, Catacomb Kids fall in the same vein of what we are trying to do, so a platformer with elements of rougelike - in that you start customizing your character, make your way through levels, see how far you get, prepare yourself for death, die, repeat.  Obviously these game differ on how they progress, mechanics, story, world.

so right metroidvanians, progression revolves around keys and gating, whether actual keys or abilities - with a linear or semi-linear progression leading up to an end.  That's hard to do with a procedurally generated game, but isn't entirely out of our reach - it helps that our proc gen is setup like spelunky's - where rooms are designed before hand and stitched together - so if we wanted we can always feature a specific room on a specific floor/area - we could do multi-roomed puzzles as well with this setup without too much trouble - introduce keys and gates to progress.  

The central thing we have to design for is subsequent playthroughs since permadeath is a thing and dying a lot is a thing.  So the challenge is making each of them unique enough for the player to want to play again.  And there are many ways to skin a cat, but the experience should be focused and refined, so you want to avoid bloating it with features which end up feeling like gimmicks.  So far we've been fairly conservative, but in order to not get too far head of ourselves and find ourselves wasting loads of time and resources making a game we didn't set out to make, so far we've put our energy into setting up the ground work so it feels great to play, the core of the players experience.  And we have that the game is fun and enjoyable to play but that's not enough.

That said, we're at the point where we are starting to introduce elements that are specific to the world and story we are creating.  There is going to be a story, there is an end.  Which brings up some design issues, first of which is making it worth playing to the end, so a good story and a good world environment to explore.  But we also want it to be replayed over and over again, so if the player beats the game they know how it ends so why bother playing again?  One way to achieve that is revealing the story/world only partially, so they get more out of it on other playthroughs.  So having a pool of world/story related objects/(puzzles?mechanics?) and events we can randomly pick from and insert into levels but still within a linear timeline.

Disregarding story but still on the topic of addressing replayability, we started building the game to be very skill based, the player wants to play again because they feel they are or are getting better as they play.  Inline with that he player should make conscious decisions about how they'll progress, risk vs reward situations.

Emergent gameplay/narrative is also very important to this kind of game, things that happen on a run should have weight, there should be some sort of a response, consequence, whether that's player actions or enemy actions, and those responses should make the player play differently or hint at saying something.  One thing that we're doing is taking that into consideration when choosing what skills our affinities grant, specifically how they cross-play with each other, they're simple behaviors usually but in combination you can get some interesting results.  A simple example:  a melee attack has a charge time, and a period of time where it's attack is effective - combined with the dash skill which is intended for dodging and getting out of sticky situations - you can perform a dash attack, which hits multiple enemies and is extremely effective in this game.  Add to that elemental enchantments, or aoe skills.  Some of these combinations might be hardcoded, but in the instance of the dash attack that was just from playing around.

Our enemies are also built on simple rules, taking cues from spelunky but haven't yet implemented any kind of behavior to allow for them to play with each other, except for the shopkeeper which can be an effective but dangerous ally Smiley

---eh

so yea started out responding to your post, and then went somewhere else.  So did I describe a metroidvanian, I dunno I need to check my definitions.

Other Things
- dealing with death

I'm working on a new gui system
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:48:09 PM by keo » Logged
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »

lol Digressing is the best part of devlogs. But I get what you meant now.  Coffee

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »

That's a hell of a title screen, was listening to the Well-tempered clavier at the very same time and that was just right that.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »

Very nice scenery around that wagon. Smiley

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »

Just chiming into say I've had my eyes on this & definitely need to make note not to forget about it Beer! I'll be throwing money your way once It's out.
Oh yeah, I love that shop keepers wallop you with their money bags when you try to rip them off Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:05:14 PM by DarkWanderer » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »

thanks for the support!  yea I thought the money bags would be pretty charming  Smiley

worked on this today, needs maybe a few more things to keep it interesting
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »

technical milestone:

all of the resources in vagante are now packed into a single file, from which textures, sounds, musics, fonts, and shaders are extracted at runtime.

Wizard

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »

Last week was spent polishing Vagante.  We also added some new content.  You can see the changes here:

We added in the title logo mockup, which actually looks pretty nice

The affinity selection is now moved to the cave entrance screen, it can be accessed by a floating book(might change later)

I got a lot of feedback earlier in the thread about how people were having trouble separating the sprites from background, at the time I didn't know how to address this properly, but I think this looks way better, I just darkened the wall tile and changed it's contrast, and upped the contrast and brightness in the foreground tiles and sprites.

We replaced the shopkeeper's text with different emotion/dialog bubbles, we also added a hand for selecting items in his storage

For content we added a fairy who works the same way as the damsel mechanic in Spelunky, but grants affinity points when you make it out the level alive.  I really like what she brings to the levels, for one there's more purpose, and another is (at least for me) some sort of emotional bond between the player, the character and her occurs - she reacts to threats and gets frightened - she reminds me a bit of the girl from ico.  TBH that would be a cool a mechanic to explore more in a 2d game.

and here's a final ss of the fairy granting affinity points when you bring her home

you probably won't get any gifs from me for a while, since I moved and don't have my desktop with me atm.
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:43 AM »

awesome update is awesome  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »

I kinda miss the old less colorful graphics, but the new ones still look awesome Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic