Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:08:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting9 to 5
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 9 to 5  (Read 1005 times)
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:37:44 AM »

Link: http://liza.io/9to5
GitHub: https://github.com/drakonka/9-to-5

This is my very rushed entry into the GitHub Game Off (as well as my November One Game a Month project). I have just a few more hours to work on it so am currently working on sorting out some bugs. I am looking for _all_ kinds of feedback, though. I'll be focusing on bug fixing in the immediate future before the deadline.

I don't really want to describe the game too much other than saying that it's a platformer and will take maybe 5-10 minutes to play for most people (though there's the possibility of theoretically infinite gameplay time...). I'd recommend playing with sound.

I would recommend playing this in Chrome as that is literally the only browser I had the time to do any testing with. It should theoretically work in other major browsers, though.

Thanks!

niorad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »

Weirdly fun!
One small thing: When you're in the elevator and you press left/right, you can see the animation "pouring out" on the sides.
Also the time looks weird on single digit times (8:2 instead of 08:02).
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »

Weirdly fun!
One small thing: When you're in the elevator and you press left/right, you can see the animation "pouring out" on the sides.
Also the time looks weird on single digit times (8:2 instead of 08:02).

Thanks! To be honest those are things that I kind of thought would be ok to leave in since they're not very major, but now that the entry deadline has been extended and there's a few hours left I may as well put in the effort to fix them. On it now Smiley

Thanks again.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

Hey! I just played through it, and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to just be a standard life/work simulation, so didn't see the twist coming, which I thought was pretty funny.

A few things:

• I'd recommend having a little bit of space just above the game window. I kept thinking at first that I hadn't scrolled up far enough and my game window was cut off. With a bit of a gap at the top, it would frame the window a littler better.
  • The elevator animation is really jumpy. I can't quite tell what's happening as it's pretty fast, but it seems to be skipping back and forth between two positions as it moves. It's pretty hard on the eyes and quite distracting, especially since you ride the elevator quite a bit in the game.
  • Is there a way to avoid collision with pedestrians? I'm referring specifically to the ones that are walking in the opposite direction. Wouldn't it make more sense to just not be possible to collide with them, since what you do really doesnt' matter?

Anyway, good luck with the game off!

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

Is there a way to avoid collision with pedestrians? I'm referring specifically to the ones that are walking in the opposite direction. Wouldn't it make more sense to just not be possible to collide with them, since what you do really doesnt' matter?[/li][/list]

It seems that the only way to avoid them is to stop walking. But then again sometimes they would randomly pop out of the building's edge and at those times it's impossible to avoid colliding. It would be good if there was other way of avoiding them as well...

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:21:04 PM »

Unfortunately I can't make any changes now that the deadline has passed, but I will be fixing some of these things when the contest is over and modifications are allowed again Smiley

Great point about moving the game window down. And yes, the elevator going up and down is pretty horrible Sad

To avoid collision with pedestrians you have to stop while they pass you as Prads said. Sometimes you will still get "bumped" by them (which is a bug I decided to leave in for now, since there were other things to fix and I thought it could fit with the fiction of people bumping into you when you walk past/interactions on the street not being fully within your control to add to the frustration), but most of the time stopping will do it.

Thanks for playing, and for the feedback!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic