Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 08:01:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUltrawide - arcade racing, playable version
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ultrawide - arcade racing, playable version  (Read 6574 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 03:35:35 AM »

I played this on a mac. The file format is fine, you should keep it like this. It runs okay on my mac, with no noticeable problems.

Except the most important one.

I first turned on the graphics to fantastic. I started the game, some black menu flew by before I could click on anything. Okay.... I started racing. Instantly, the car was impossible to handle. I am terrible at racing games, and yet I knew something was wrong. Basically anything I did in the game was amplified by one hundred, so that when I turned just a little bit, my car would drift. (slight exaggeration).

I thought it was just weird controls, and so I restarted the game, cause it was lagging a little bit.

I restarted it in fastest mode. Suddenly, the controls were waaaay too non-responsive. The car barely turned at all.

I think you have the car acceleration set to the frame rate or something. That might be the reason for my strange car handling. Or I could be imagining it all.

Graphics look great, sounds are meh, and the overall concept sounds fun but I can't go past the second turn without slowly handling my car, so....

Also, please add instructions somewhere in the game.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
LogicBugs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 04:16:09 AM »

I think you should have a start level which is pretty much just easy- lots of guardrails, difficult to fall off.  Later levels can be quite difficult but if it is too difficult right off the start it is frustrating.
nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »

Hey lowpoly, thanks!
On my mac it runs perfectly! I've a 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard, not a monster pc, and it runs smoothly at 1920x1200 with "fantastic" setting. I even successfully played it with a usb joypad.

First of all: this looks great.
It requires some turns to understand the driving model: the ship is very heavy (you nailed the feeling!) and you need to anticipate the turn much earlier, there's no room for drastically correcting the trajectory at the last moment. It makes the game pretty difficult, but it's a curious design choice and I second it.
My only suggestion for now is to polish the start, enabling the thrust even before the "go!" and maybe introducing a speed start / slow start mechanic.

This is my personal record :D

Floresy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »

Some really cool stuff going.  I really dig how you have to time when to start the turn rather than futzing with microadjustments, adds a lot of tension right off the bat.  My comments are mostly minor, so here they go in no particular order:

I didn't notice that there was screen shake until my second to last run (I played for about 20 minutes).  This might be because it happens at the same time as the big motion from the camera banking in a turn, and since the most noticeable motion occurs at the edges of the screen (where the player is not really looking) it might have be being "drowned out" in a sense.  Maybe crank it up more or set it to shake on a separate axis, maybe jiggle its vertical position?

There were a couple times I was frustrated with sliding off an edge and not being able to get back on, whilst (what felt like) only a few inches below the lip of the ledge.  More forgiveness with climbing back on could help that and create more "Oh shit" moments where you feel you should have died but got through by a hair.

And maybe make the menu to try again, come up again faster.  With a game that kills me that quick, I want to be able to try again asap, helps preserve the energy of the game as a whole.

As a whole though, just this one track is pretty fun, even if it is kind of advanced with a steep learning curve.  I'm not much of a racing game fan, but it was satisfying to finish 2 laps successfully. And dem sparks, lawdy.

Also, could I asplode when I fall off the track?  Pretty Plz?
nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »

Once you get the handling this is real fun.
And you balanced the ranks perfectly, I smoothed some edges and went from A to S.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 12:58:04 AM »

@nss_aries, awesome time! Also, your screenshot has 2 bugs on it, so thanks for the unintentional QA work Wink

@Floresy, thanks for the feedback, interesting you mentioned the screen shake, I was worried it was overpowering at times. Maybe not so much tho?

In regards to the edges, for the longest time the physics would freak out when you hit them wrong and flung you vertically into the sky or tipped the car onto its side. I probably overcompensated in fixing that, I'll see if there's some room for improvement cause I agree with you about having that tension when you're on the edge.

@Impmaster, I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is a result of the game's performance, or just generally struggling with the controls, but I'm thinking it's more the latter? As others have mentioned, there's a decently steep learning curve and this car in particular is 'heavy', so you end up in the water a lot at first. It's frustrating, I know. Smiley Appreciate the feedback tho, especially for being an osx guinea pig!

@WillyChyr, re: the water, it's just a big animated mesh. I wanted to do displacement but in the end I found the roughness of the water matched the game's aesthetic better so I just rolled with it. Animation could be smoother tho...

One quick update, I started digging back into my collision code in preparation for the next track (which will have far less insta-death) and of course, the result of doing so immediately broke how the camera works. So, I guess those two things are on tap for right now.

Thanks everyone!

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »

Game looks very cool, love the track.
I wish the controls were a bit tighter, or the track a bit wider, or maybe a bit of both. Or maybe I just need to start with something a bit easier.

AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

I know this has been said many a times here. But I do love your low-poly vector art style....  Epileptic Especially those reflections on the metal looking vehicle you have there.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic