Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:10:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMaster Spy - Cinematic Stealth Platformer [Out on Steam!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Master Spy - Cinematic Stealth Platformer [Out on Steam!]  (Read 23672 times)
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »

Master Spy A Retro Stealth-Platformer featuring Cinematic Pixelart Cutscenes

Master Spy is out on Steam!

Pre-orders are available at http://masterspygame.com.

Check out the release trailer!

Website | Greenlight | Blog

Gameplay

The idea behind Master Spy is simple - use your cloaking suit and agility to evade obstacles to grab the keycard and make it to the locked door.

Simple, right? Except as you progress, a hoard of enemies and obstacles lie in wait - ranging from guard dogs to assassins to security drones -  ensuring that the task at hand won’t be easy.

The goal is to have 5 missions, each set in distinct locations, with 10 levels each. We have over 20 obstacles and enemies planned, each with unique mechanics, to keep the game varied and challenging.

Cutscenes
One of the features of the game is cinematic pixelart cutscenes, which will tell a story of action, conspiracy, betrayal, and intrigue. If it's not your thing, you can always skip them.

Title Screen

Master Spy is built with MelonJS using javascript/html5 canvas, using Tiled Map Editor to create the maps.

The Team
TurboGun is John Coxworth (Art) and Kris Truitt (Dev), a two man team working on this in our spare time. We've brought Sferro on board for a cool 80s/synth-based OST.

Development Status
Creating the demo forced us to focus on a lot of the little things that will help us out in the long run. The cutscene engine is fairly complete, probably needing a few tweaks as we go along. We still have a ways to go - refining levels, creating more art, enemies, and levels for the later part of the game, and implementing menus/save games. We hope you dig what we've got so far!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:12:30 PM by TurboGun » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »

I remember seeing this on one of the Screenshot Saturday threads on reddit a few weeks back. Nice to see all the gifs here together at once. Looking good!

DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

Looks good, I like the city backgrounds with all the flashing lights, the white/yellow rooms are my least favorite, but still ok.

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

I love the look! Also the concept is pretty cool. I am a sucker for 2D stealth stuff.

Question about the game, how are you planning distribution via Steam, since the game is HTML5?

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »

Promising! I'm watching this :D

stvr
Level 0

Don't Move

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:52 PM »

Tiger is the best security system.

Seriously, this looks awesome and is coming together nicely. Keep it up!

Conker534
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »

Wow I really like this
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Thanks all!

Question about the game, how are you planning distribution via Steam, since the game is HTML5?

Good question! The current plan is to use Node-Webkit, which lets us package it as an downloadable executable for Windows and Mac (and Linux too, but I haven't tried that out yet). I actually tested this out early on, to make sure HTML5 was feasible, and it works really well - I even recently tested it out with x360ce to see if I could get my PS2 Dualshock to work with it (which was pretty rad!). One downside is a little overhead in the file size, since it's pretty much packaging chromium with it, but it's not bad when zipped up.

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »

Good question! The current plan is to use Node-Webkit, which lets us package it as an downloadable executable for Windows and Mac (and Linux too, but I haven't tried that out yet). I actually tested this out early on, to make sure HTML5 was feasible, and it works really well - I even recently tested it out with x360ce to see if I could get my PS2 Dualshock to work with it (which was pretty rad!). One downside is a little overhead in the file size, since it's pretty much packaging chromium with it, but it's not bad when zipped up.

Cool! That's actually what I have been using as well, I was mostly curious if you had a found different solution, as node-webkit was by far the best one I found (after lots and lots of searching).

Conker534
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »

This is seriously so rad
LogicBugs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »

The cloak looks really cool party see through, good idea for a game, curious to see how it plays out.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »

I love the graphic style, but maybe something like scanlines would hep a bit. Retro games had the advantage of TV scanlines to make smoother graphics at no cost.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »

I love the graphic style, but maybe something like scanlines would hep a bit. Retro games had the advantage of TV scanlines to make smoother graphics at no cost.

Thanks for checking it out! Might have you covered here - Pressing the "T" key in the demo toggles CRT mode. We might tweak it a little in the future, but this is what it currently looks like:

This is seriously so rad

Thanks dude!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »

These scanline could be a little stronger.
If you take a lot of the great pixel games of the past, you realize they don't look that great when you remove the scanlines.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »

These scanline could be a little stronger.
If you take a lot of the great pixel games of the past, you realize they don't look that great when you remove the scanlines.

Cool - yep, have played a few older games blown up on LCD screens - some degrade better than others, but they're definitely missing something from the old tube TV days. I'll experiment with it a bit more to see if we can get it to look better. Thanks!

Sir Wolf
Level 0

A wolf cub growing up

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 04:49:16 AM »

I think I saw this game in Greenlight. I remember thinking it's a wasted opportunity that the coat of the player character is not more lively animated during gameplay. It's just a personal favourite pet detail of mine that I get excited over - nothing objective about this opinion of mine!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shawn
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »

I think I saw this game in Greenlight. I remember thinking it's a wasted opportunity that the coat of the player character is not more lively animated during gameplay. It's just a personal favourite pet detail of mine that I get excited over - nothing objective about this opinion of mine!

Cool - do you mean more bounce in movement/more billowing/fluttering of the jacket/an idle animation? Might be something we look into a little more as we progress, to see how it fits. Thanks for the feedback!

Sir Wolf
Level 0

A wolf cub growing up

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 03:11:38 AM »

do you mean more bounce in movement/more billowing/fluttering of the jacket/an idle animation?

Fluttering, I'd say. Sort of trailing behind the character as it moves. Fluttering trench coats are just something I get my kicks from. It also does give opportunities for nice idle animations.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shawn
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »

Mission 2 introduces security beams, motion sensors, and pressure plates. Lately we've been filling out these levels and implementing the art:

Mission 2 Start Screen and WIP Mission 2 Levels

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »

That architecture looks great & crazy! I love that 70's "villain's mansion" feel you got here.

Following this!

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic