Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:49:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingToo Many Ninjas
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Too Many Ninjas  (Read 60213 times)
MattC
Level 0

TIGSourcerer

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »

The game is looking good! The speed has definitely been fixed for everyone now, it seems. Apologies all around for my crappy old laptop. I felt kinda bad about grand-slamming the high score when I found out I wasn't playing at the proper speed.

Some comments:
I find it funny that ninjas can jump really high now and can throw stars so deep into the ground that they can't be seen. I agree that you could be distracted by the stars on the ground (though I wasn't), but I don't know if I like the flat purple. There are definitely ninjas that can't be blocked unless you hit up/down and I'm not a fan of it. (Unless it's the case where the left>right jumping ninja can be killed with an up-right--which would be odd.)

I'm going to go back and keep playing now. I hope you are as devoted to your next game as you are this one and I hope your server costs get covered!
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2007, 09:07:58 PM »

Sweet, 110! Grin I wish the higher ranks were other Samurai titles instead of addict and fanatic and that. They should be like Sudoshi Master or something like that. How high to the ranks go anyway?  And I love the new fading shurikens, a lot easier to see. Game just keeps improving! Once again, great job!

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2007, 07:19:33 AM »

Thanks everyone for the comments and support. You're incredible!  Kiss

Why don't you make the shurikens the dark purple color at all times, not just when they're on the ground?

Maybe a different colour altogether?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »

Maybe it's just me doing some crazy talk but...

How about if, instead of always showing the title of the game, you'd show our current title and, when the game is over, you'd have a result message telling how many ninjas you've killed, how many stars you hit, how long you've been playing, what's your final rank and level and who's the best...

I'd also show the player a bit more that he changed levels. I mentionned it earlier I believe... You could change colors of the ninja after a couple of levels... Like, each 2 levels, ninjas change color from purple, to yellow, to red and then black or something like that...

Perhaps it's just crazy talk too... Wink
Alter! 

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »

Well, I woke up and saw that my game got 700 diggs, and made the front page of digg's games page. I'm in trouble with the hosting company for too much PHP access.

But the hilarious thing is, almost everybody who was moved to wrote a comment, HATED it! All the people who wrote positive opinions got downmodded. :D The comments page is totally hilarious.

instead of always showing the title of the game, you'd show our current title and, when the game is over, you'd have a result message telling how many ninjas you've killed, how many stars you hit, how long you've been playing, what's your final rank and level and who's the best

Yeah, I think this is a good idea, although I might not go so far as that, since it would reduce simplicity. I could definitely make more use of that space where the title is.
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:32 PM »

Forget the nay-sayers... They whine and play it anyway... Links to your game seem to have appeared on other sites/blogs as well. There are even videos of it on Youtube and you KNOW you've made it when that happens. =)

I think people don't get this game and the beauty that lies in its simplicity... Just like you said before - I think only those with any ZX Spectrum experience will "dig it" (pun intended). Notice that impressions here on the TIGForums were mostly positive and you should decide for yourself whose opinion you value more - ours, or that of some internet-losers.

Suggestions:

Could you at least shade the dark-purple shurikens like you did with the bright ones.

You should also code the extended stats/scoreboard/rewards or whatever some people were suggesting (I think me too)... That way the game would become about twice as addictive since people would be competing for something more tangible than a top-score which can be held by only one person at a time and might be difficult for the casual gamer (even if he gets addicted to it ^^) to top.

P.S. Will you reveal how much money you managed to accumulate through this sudden surge in popularity? I really ask only out of curiosity and to be sure if we can finally call the game a TIG-Success story like fish suggested a while ago. =)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:33:06 PM by Lim-Dul » Logged

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2007, 05:06:49 PM »

Of course, I'd be happy to reveal:

80000 visits, yields you $60 with a sidebar text ad like that. None of the digg people clicked 'donate'  :D But including donations, I now have netted $75, which pays for 7 months of server costs (assuming they don't shut me down for high traffic)

Of course, it will depend what kind of ads appear. My game seems to generate ads for ninja swords, so maybe it's not the most efficient way of making clickthrough...

Could you at least shade the dark-purple shurikens like you did with the bright ones.

Ok, I'll do this, even though it will mean adding more colours to the palette.

I'm not sure I can add more MySQL queries to the program right now, while traffic is high. At the moment it pulls only one record and inserts only one if (and only if you get the high score), and they tell me the server use is too high. I'll have to wait.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »

Of course, it will depend what kind of ads appear. My game seems to generate ads for ninja swords, so maybe it's not the most efficient way of making clickthrough...
Yeah that's what I was thinking. That your ads might be too centered around ninja stuff and not enough about retro games or things like that.I know it might not be easy to find keywords and related interests though.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »

A mute button for the music would be nice... I want to rock ninjas to the 8-bit tunes that I already have playing. Wink
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

The comments page is totally hilarious.

Haha. Man, they really let you have it! Some of them called it the worst flash game ever made, probably because its not a tower defense game. I can't believe they took enough time off from their x-box 360s to try a flash game anyway.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »

I know, I really enjoyed reading it! It helps that the comments aren't my only source of feedback, of course... You can see from the digg count that more people liked it than disliked it (and that's on Digg, too, which is notorious for being loaded with 13-year-old xbox jockeys)

My favourite comments are the ones that go: "THIS SUX. DUDE CANT EVEN MOVE"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:53 PM »

My favourite comments are the ones that go: "THIS SUX. DUDE CANT EVEN MOVE"

Badge of honor, man! Cool
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2007, 11:22:42 PM »

SensibleE got to you!

http://www.sensibleerection.com/entry.php/66486 NSFWish
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2007, 12:14:46 AM »

SensibleE got to you!

Wow, blast from the past...

I think the big flush of popularity is probably done and over now. I'm really happy and humbled to have got 100,000 or so visits, but I must admit I read that article about 'Oversaturation of the flash games market' and felt for a moment like I should have tried to get sponsorship money from armorgames or something. Then I snapped out of it.

During the jamster boom, I did a six month stint producing animated television commercials for mobile phone ringtones, and I can probably go for another year or three without trying to cash in on another transient business bubble.
Mojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2007, 07:31:33 AM »

Sweet game ! I only managed to do 60 points but the game is really addictive !

However i wish that you add the possibility to turn off the music/sound effects (for people like me that like to listen to music while playing your game)
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »

TOP SCORE: 838860...
ASDAS

Methinks someone hacked the game again... Wink
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »

A thought...
Since there are no ranks above shogun and in history, the rank after shogun would be emporor, perhaps you could change top score to emporor in the result window... This way, no one would hassel you to see the next best scores...

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »

T'would appear our mutual acquaintance Benzido will be doomed to be resetting the scores bi-daily for the rest of eternity. :D

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »

TOP SCORE: 838860...
ASDAS

Methinks someone hacked the game again... Wink

Nah! He's just the living incarnation of the gaming god. ASDAS is his name! Guide me ASDAS, protect me, let enlightenment shine down on me! ;-)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »

Well, I've just changed it so that unrealistically high scores are automatically purged. Too bad for the genius who genuinely scores 500, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic