Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:42:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingToo Many Ninjas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Too Many Ninjas  (Read 60204 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 01:01:50 PM »

pretty cool little game you got there.  are you planning on adding sound effects, cos that'd rock!!
Eh? There already are sound effects...?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »

Cool

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sonuvabitch. Tongue
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 04:57:34 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

- I'm not sure I can fix the key thing, because flash (at least, actionscript 2.0) seems to only recognize 'all keys released' and not 'one key released'. But then again, I could be wrong.

- I think I'll try to do the thing with the ninja stars hitting the ninjas, that would be cool! Actually I've been thinking it would be cool if defeated ninja stars didn't disappear, but just stayed lodged in the ground, accumulating in a pixel buffer or something.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:19 PM »

This game's great - love the graphics, especially the animation, and the background. the colour choice totally suits the gameplay, as well.

All that really needs to be done is the 'smoothness' of the sword moving.

Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »

are there?  damn...i think i kept the volume down while i was playing.  for that, it deserves another go!
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 07:48:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

- I'm not sure I can fix the key thing, because flash (at least, actionscript 2.0) seems to only recognize 'all keys released' and not 'one key released'. But then again, I could be wrong.

You could utilize the Key.isDown method (I believe it's available in AS 2.0).

I made something that uses code like that:
Code:
if (Key.isDown(39)) {
F = true;
} else {
F = false;
}
if (Key.isDown(38)) {
U = true;
} else {
U = false;
}
if (Key.isDown(40)) {
D = true;
} else {
D = false;
}
if (F == true && U == true) {
//Forward+Up
} else if (F == true && D == true) {
//Forward+Down
} else if (F == false && U == true) {
//Up
} else if (F == false && D == true) {
//Down
} else if (F == true) {
//Forward
} else {
//Nothing
}
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »

I don't like the stars staying around forever. They start piling up quickly and it makes it even harder to see the ninjas and incoming throwing stars. I think you should change it back Smiley

But that didn't keep completely crushing everyone and getting the new highscore!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 08:41:42 PM by HandCraftedRadio » Logged

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 09:47:56 PM »

57! Holy crap!

Pigbuster: I'll try it out. But last time, when I tried something like this:

if (Key.isDown(38) && !Key.isDown(40)) {

... it didn't work. I'll try doing it your way, and see if it helps.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 10:38:04 PM »

if (Key.isDown(38) && !Key.isDown(40)) {

... it didn't work. I'll try doing it your way, and see if it helps.

How did it not work? What happened instead?
Did you get an error message or did the controls not work the way they were supposed to?

I tried changing my code to that and it worked just as well as my more complicated one.
Code:
if (Key.isDown(39) && Key.isDown(38)) {
//U+R
} else if (Key.isDown(39) && Key.isDown(40)) {
//D+R
} else if (!Key.isDown(39) && Key.isDown(38)) {
//U
} else if (!Key.isDown(39) && Key.isDown(40)) {
//D
} else if (Key.isDown(39)) {
//R
} else {
//None
}
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:45:04 PM by Pigbuster » Logged
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 11:55:50 PM »

Ah, ok. The problem turned out to be that I had run

if (!Key.isDown()){
    //RETURN SWORD TO NEUTRAL STANCE
}

For some reason, that invalidates all the other !Key.isDown calls.

So it's all fixed now. Which makes it totally easier!!! Expecting some higher scores.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:39 AM »

Ah wow, that's much, much better!  Kiss This is actually one of my fave browser games out there, simply because it's fast to load, there's no menus or storylines to wade through - it's just the game, plain and simple.

...plus it has ninjas. Can't go wrong with ninjas.

I got 41. The enemy shurikens seem to go through your leg on the right without hurting you, sometimes. That means it's a little easier, so perhaps it's not such a bad thing :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:02:45 AM by Radnom » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 03:41:26 AM »

Nice!  55's my best now!

I don't know if this is intentional, but you can get multiple scores off a single shuriken if you hit it at the last moment.  This seems like a bug, but it actually introduces a new element of skill to the game and lets you get to the hard levels faster when you know what you're doing.

Sweet job! Kiss
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 03:49:46 AM »

Yeah, it's a bug, introduced when I added a second hitbox for the sword (to eliminate instances of swinging through a shuriken and missing). But I agree, I think it adds a skill component, so maybe I'll leave it in. It's a wart, not a bug! Bonus points for swinging late!

Skilled players should also notice that it's quicker to go from a forward swing to neutral stance than direct from a forward swing to a backward swing. If you have ninjas approaching from both sides, hit the one in front of you first, and then release the keys.

Now, this will impress nobody since I coded the thing, but here it is anyway:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:18:14 AM by Benzido » Logged
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 05:24:25 AM »

There's way too many ninjas!

The brochure said there was only going to be a few ninjas...

This is a terrible vacation!

...but an awesome game! To arms my dead-from-the-waist-down-daimyo!
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 06:26:56 AM »

Oh yeah! 68!Try to beat that one! :D

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 06:53:30 AM »

This game is a brilliant little time-waster. I wonder what rank is above Daimyo (if any), but I'm not good enough to get up there.

Ah, ok. The problem turned out to be that I had run

if (!Key.isDown()){
    //RETURN SWORD TO NEUTRAL STANCE
}

For some reason, that invalidates all the other !Key.isDown calls.

So it's all fixed now. Which makes it totally easier!!! Expecting some higher scores.

Flash doesn't interpret "!Key.isDown()" as "if no key is down", but rather as "if a nonexistent magic key is not down".
Since the magic key is always not down, it ended up sending you to the neutral stance whenever it had the chance.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »

Not bad, not bad at all!

I played the game a bit, my highest score is 29. Here are a couple of little comments...

The learning curve is quite steep. I suggest that you make it alot easier at first so new players can get the hang of it.

One way of doing so is to be more constistant with the angles of star throwing. Right now, our character can hit at 3 different angles but the star travel at 5 or 6 different angles. Sure, they can be countered with one of our angles but its confusing at first to figure out which stance is going to stop the star.

Another way to do it would be to have very little star throwing during the first 2 levels. Start with horizontal shooting and then slowly incorporate jumping attacks from the behalf of the enemies.

I'd make the ninjas more noticable between them so a player can know right away which are going to shoot or not. As the player progresses, you can toy with the player's mind by having ninjas who usualy shoot not shoot at all and make ninjas that didn't shoot, shoot one simple to avaid star, just to keep the player on the edge. 

You can also make the first enemies "hit-able" right away when they land. Too many times I've seen a ninja crouch at almost sword range and I had to wait for it to slide through my blade. By positionning them closer at first, it'll be easier and you can gradually make them land a bit further per level.

Can we use the ninja star against the enemies? I haven't been able to ricochet one to see if they get killed. If not, make it so, it's always more staifying to kill someone with its own weapon Wink Smiley

I dunno 'bout you guys but I didn't find blocking on the up arrow very intuitive. I'd make the character hit upward. Of course, I'd add ninjas that would try to land on the player or shooting down when leaping over.

Perhpas jumping could be interesting but that would have a major impact on what you already have so I'm not convinced about this idea.

The transition between levels isn't very clear. Without stopping the action, you could simply change the color of the ninjas or change the color of the background. You start at dawn and you play through all the day and if you survive, you keep on fighting the day afterward. I don't like the colors much, although they have a very nice retro feel to them, they aren't epic enough to me. Maybe I jsut don't plain like brown and orange Tongue. Anywho, having mutliple times of day would fix the two problems, I believe.   

Speaking of levels, you should allow player to select the starting level. You should also try to find an alternate game mode. Right now, you have a deathmatch like rule where you must kill as much as possible before you get killed. Perhaps you could have a time-based mode where you fight for a limited time or a kill-list mode where you ahve to eliminate X number of a certain type of ninjas.

The game is fun but it will get boring over time because of it's simplicity. You need to give more reasons to play to your player. Having different goals can almost give eternal life to the game with very small effort.

Anyway, it's a very fun game. Right now it's quite challenging but with a better learning curve, this is going to truly rock.

Well, that's my point of view!
Later!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:07:22 AM by Guert » Logged

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 12:59:57 AM »

I dunno 'bout you guys but I didn't find blocking on the up arrow very intuitive. I'd make the character hit upward. Of course, I'd add ninjas that would try to land on the player or shooting arrow down when leaping over.
I definitely agree with that... I haven't really found a use for ducking yet

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 02:05:35 AM »

I dunno 'bout you guys but I didn't find blocking on the up arrow very intuitive. I'd make the character hit upward. Of course, I'd add ninjas that would try to land on the player or shooting arrow down when leaping over.
I definitely agree with that... I haven't really found a use for ducking yet

Down should be duck and up should basically look like this:

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 05:10:17 AM »

Exaclty! Pressing up enables a lighting attack and calls a mystical green saber-tooth ninja, just like the good ol'days Smiley

An re-reading my sentence, the " shooting arrow down" doesn't make sense, unless you remove arrow completly. I definitively need to pay more attention Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic