Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411957 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58478 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 11:37:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames2009 IGF entrants!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: 2009 IGF entrants!  (Read 27274 times)
dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »

Since I remember some people complaining about the lack of gameplay videos from the entrants, here's ours:

What about other teams? We could collect here some gameplay videos from the participating games.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »

Zeno Clash looks very well made, though I imagine my ultimate interest in it will be dictated largely by my interest in the game world (which is to say, the quality and depth of the setting, story, and characters).

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2008, 01:56:09 PM »

Zeno Clash looks very well made, though I imagine my ultimate interest in it will be dictated largely by my interest in the game world (which is to say, the quality and depth of the setting, story, and characters).

You can check some character profiles here, we also have given some interviews about the game that you could find in the forums.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »

someone upped some dyson gameplay here. very cool to see that happen.

rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »

Well since we're talking about games not having trailers, heres two trailers for my game. One is a CG trailer and the other has actual gameplay, not much but we didn't want to give too much away before we release a demo.

CG Trailer:

Gameplay Trailer: http://wingsofapocalypse.blogspot.com/2008/11/woa-gameplay-teaser.html

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »

There's a video of my student entry here:

MattJ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »

There's a video of my student entry here:

I'm so excited for Star Guard, must have watched those two videos 30 times or so. It just looks so solid, considered and nails that 8-bit Speccy vibe brillaintly. I hope the final thing has a level select for individual stage speed/score runs. When is it likely to be released?

scruffy hermitgamestwitter
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »

Thank you for your encouragement, MattV. There is a level select option, and high scores are recorded on a per-level basis to encourage speed play. I'm not sure exactly how long it will take to finish, but development is going well.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »

I love Star Guard's style, it's just great.

rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »

A trailer of another cool igf entry that I seem to be addicted to; Rescue the beagles :

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »

A trailer of another cool igf entry that I seem to be addicted to; Rescue the beagles :

I saw that on the Rescue The Beagles Rescue Blog.
krabbo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2008, 02:28:40 AM »

There are a lot of games by people I know on there, and it's hard to say this without playing each and every game, so I don't want this to sound too negative, but the entries seem kind of underwhelming to me this year. I.e. there's nothing there that I feel "I definitely want to play/buy that", with the exception of Night Game.

I had the opposite reaction.  Maybe it's a difference in taste.  When I browsed through the list, I wrote down games I thought were strong competitors for a finalist spot, and I quickly came up with way more than there's actually space for.  And I'm sure there's a bunch of fantastic games I skipped over.

Here were the games that caught my eye 1st time thru:

Innovative artsy games: 
  • Dyson
  • Machinarium  (a personal favorite)
  • Night Game
  • Osmos
  • The Graveyard

Neat puzzle and card games: 
  • Bruiser and Scratch
  • Puzzlegeddon
  • The Far Wilds

Fun platformers: 
  • Agatha Ragatha
  • Boingo
  • Cletus Clay

Slick racing games: 
  • Metal Drift
  • Zero Gear

Funny, quirky Flash Games: 
  • Amateur surgeon
  • Gigolo Assassin

RPGs and RTSs with good art and high production quality: 
  • Aztaka
  • Buckaneer
  • Krabbit Online
  • Iron Grip Warlord
  • Project Aftermath
  • The Maw
  • Zeno Clash

A well-crafted tower defense game:
  • Harvest Massive Encounter

Interactive narrative/story games; 
  • A Street Story
  • Bleating Sheep Theater Drinking With God
  • Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble

And some neat retro pixel art games: 
  • Calamity Annie
  • Night of the Cephalopods
  • Virtual Villagers

I went from being somewhat confident I'd clinch a finalist spot to suddenly not being so sure in a hurry!  But it's great to see so many neat things going on in indie-land.

Thanks for the inclusion!  Grin

We also went in all confident, but quickly changed our tune.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 05:25:03 PM by krabbo » Logged
hershc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2008, 03:23:16 AM »

Hey there, a quick question for anyone veterans of past IGF Student Showcases: I've heard that the committee that judges the student showcase entries gives feedback/critique on the game--is this true? I'd love to hear what the judges think and it would definitely be a huge help as our team continues working on it next semester.

Thanks in advance for your help!

And feel free to check out our game, it's called Reflection, http://www.playreflection.com
It may not be on the same level of quality with the other student entries (seriously, just WOW at the variety and quality of this year's titles), but we all learned a lot and had fun developing it--and still are!
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »

Hey there, a quick question for anyone veterans of past IGF Student Showcases: I've heard that the committee that judges the student showcase entries gives feedback/critique on the game--is this true? I'd love to hear what the judges think and it would definitely be a huge help as our team continues working on it next semester.

Thanks in advance for your help!

And feel free to check out our game, it's called Reflection, http://www.playreflection.com
It may not be on the same level of quality with the other student entries (seriously, just WOW at the variety and quality of this year's titles), but we all learned a lot and had fun developing it--and still are!

I truly hope that they do give feedback. That would be awesome. Also I think your game looks pretty cool! I'd definitely like to try it out.

hershc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 25, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

Thanks for the kind words rekcah! And I do believe that there's a downloadble PC Prototype you can check out (just hit the 'Demo' tag on the side).

I tried searching to see if judges provide feedback for the Student games, and it seems they are allowed to provide anonymous feedback, so hopefully we'll get some because feedback is always helpful!

Merry Christmas everyone Smiley
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 25, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »

Thanks for the kind words rekcah! And I do believe that there's a downloadble PC Prototype you can check out (just hit the 'Demo' tag on the side).

I tried searching to see if judges provide feedback for the Student games, and it seems they are allowed to provide anonymous feedback, so hopefully we'll get some because feedback is always helpful!

Merry Christmas everyone Smiley

Yeah.. I guess I was lazy and didn't even look for a download link. I saw "DS" in the titled and figured that it was only for the DS. I will check it out!

You can also play my game at www.wingsofapocalypse.com ! We just released it today! Merry Christmas!

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »

http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

Dyson is a finalist for the grand prize! Well done! :D

Also, 'The Graveyard' and 'You have to burn the rope' are up for Innovation!

'Feist' is up for graphics (first Unity game up there?)

Pixeljunk Eden is up for three categories... (I love this game, but hmm!)

twitter: @docky
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »

http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

Dyson is a finalist for the grand prize! Well done! :D

Also, 'The Graveyard' and 'You have to burn the rope' are up for Innovation!

Pixeljunk Eden is up for three categories... (I love this game, but hmm!)

that link is incorrect. It goes to the list of 2008 winners and finalists. But, Im sure its not your fault because the link is wrong even on igf.com.

I also thought the same about Pixeljunk Eden LOL...

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »

Wow, You Have to Burn the Rope? Wow, I didn't expect that. Cool stuff here and there.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »

The Graveyard is made with Unity too! Smiley

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic