Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:13:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWind Fortress, a web browser RPG (new website, facebook, twitter)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Wind Fortress, a web browser RPG (new website, facebook, twitter)  (Read 7532 times)
DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »

Hi everybody,

Wind Fortress is a web browser RPG with a strong scenario, a deep universe and the chance to create your own adventure for others to play.

Inspired by Miyazaki works, the Wind Fortress is a giant flying island that floats slowly, high in the sky, over a planet filled mostly with oceans and few rare islands. In this world full of magic, science and wilderness, you will discover the friendship and animosity between different people that live on the island. Full of strange encounters and funny dialogues, Wind Fortress' adventure differs from other role-playing games in its peaceful ambiance, which emphasizes exploration, discussion and thought.

Follow us:

Goodies:

Here a list of some of the key features:

• A large choice of actions: your character will evolve by accomplishing quests, but not necessarily by fighting.
  • Nonlinear quests: there are often several ways to solve a problem, and quests can end in different ways. Some of your choices will have an impact on the rest of the adventure.
  • Editors: thanks to several editors, you will be able to create your own adventure - including maps, quests and dialogs - and share them with other players.
  • Pvp: the arena will allow you to fight against and along with other players (up to 6 vs 6)
  • Free evolution: your character skills will evolve depending on the actions you take during the adventure. There is no class system and you are therefore not restricted in your evolution.
  • Guilds: you can join one of the four elemental guilds (Earth, Wind, Water and Fire) or refuse to use magic and join the outcasts.
  • Pets: you can adopt a pet that will follow you during the game.
  • Alchemy lab: you can mix ingredients to create potions and special mixtures.

For now, the world includes:

• eleven areas to explore
  • twenty-eight non-playable characters to meet
  • sixty foes to fight
  • one primary adventure and many secondary quests, for a total of thirty-seven quests split up into almost three hundred steps.

You can find a full description of the game on
the Kickstarter project preview page.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:19:22 AM by DrSchizo » Logged

One day, I will live in theory, because in theory, everything is possible!
Devlogs: Wind Fortress (RPG) and Sandbox Adventure (Visual Novels)
DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »

Some technical informations:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:40:46 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »

In a couple of months, I'm going to start a funding on Kickstarter for my game "Wind Fortress".

For the campaign, I did two trailers. Which one do you prefer? Epic or feeric version?

• (70s)

• (60s)

There is a slightly annoying voice over. That is because I haven't buy the music yet. Of course, I will do it once I know which music to chose.

Thank you very much for reading and maybe for answering.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:40:07 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »

I'm currently working on making the fights more interesting, by adding new parameters.

I thought about making the armor alive, a little bit like in Saint Seya. The player will invoke it at the begining of the fight. Since it is alive, it will take damage as much as the player (50/50). If it is too damaged during the fight, it will stop functionning and giving bonuses. The player will have to take care of its health as much as his/hers. I will have to add new fighting technics and object in order to repair it, as well as new attacks, that will aim only the fighter or the armor.

The armor has its own level and stats. It could be temporary modified using orbs.
I'm thinking about either having one unique armor per fighter or being able to change it like a regular armor. The first solution will make the leveling more important, but won't allow the player to change armor depending on the place it goes. Since armor could evolve by itself, it should be anyway pretty rare in the game.

Graphicly, a low level armor would cover only one part of the body like one shoulder and will grow little by little to cover the rest of it.

It will allow the player to have one civilian suit (non combat situation) just for the look of it, and a warrior one. That also means that I wouldn't have to draw the armor for both situation, and that will allow me to create more of them.

This feature will bring a new dimension to the game, that is for me far more interesting that forcing the player to loot every armors and weapons he/she can find and sell it to a shop in order to get enough money to buy a better one.

The same system could be used for weapons.

What do you think of this idea?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:38:50 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »

Hi,

Here is a random avatar generator:
http://www.windfortress.com/demo2.php?p=avatar_generator

The final editor will allow player to chose every elements (shape, color and position).

What do you think about it?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:38:33 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »

I think the random avatar creation works fine, definitely clicked through more of them than I anticipated until I got bored Smiley

Go with the more smooth music on the trailer. The softer version made me think more fondly of exploring the world that the game presents. It reminded me a bit of Ghiblis trailers and the theme of morrowinds soundtrack.

The more aggressive version made me think of bad action movies, so it made it feel more actionoriented and cheap. Just my personal opinion though.

Good luck!
DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »

Thanks a lot for you comment! It is indeed really hypnotic, not as much as

, but pretty hypnotic anyway. I surprised myself to spend a lot of time on it, even though I should be sick of seeing this avatars all day!

I agree about the softer music, like most people I asked. The faster music might attract people that are more action-oriented, that will surely be disappointed by the rest of it. I should better stick to the more feeric one, that fits much more with the global ambiance of the game and will catch the attention of people that could be truely interested in my game.

The game is not such about telling an epic story and more about creating a strong universe that will allow players to create their own stories. Even if there are many things at stakes in the main plot, there are no important breakdown, no cities destroyed that changes everything. The main story is the start of many sidequests, that are as much important - if not more - than the main plot. It is more inspired by a game like Morrowind or Baldur's Gate than KOTOR or Dragon Age (even if I loved all this games!)

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »

I've edited the description of the game in the first post to add further information.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:42:46 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:32:37 AM »

Here is a focus on one character, Merhes:

Merhes grew up a member of the high aristocracy and dedicated his life to studying human societies. As he explored the world to meet people of many ethnic groups, his motivation was purely scientific. This years of exploration sharpened his sense of observation and his understanding of human behavior. He is now the leader of the Guild of Earth and lives in the “Apatameria’s Exile” the famous flying boat where all the knowledge of the Guild is stored.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:14:34 AM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »

A focus on another non playable character, Graymund:

Graymund is one of the Amazon women of the forest. Her mother died while giving birth to her, and many blamed the cursed newborn baby. She grew up lonely. From an early age, Graymund was feared as much as she was respected for her great magical gift.  Adopted by the village shaman, she became her only apprentice. Her adoptive mother gave her an extremely strict education that drove her away. The day she turned eighteen, she packed and left her tribe without any second thoughts. Once arrived in Askan, she joined the Guild of Fire, which she now controls. She is considered as one of the most powerful battle mages of the fortress.

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »

I really love the emphasis on exploration/peacefulness/npcs! I would almost go with something more cheerful/wonderous for the trailer to match the art style. I also think the cel-shading is ruining your otherwise nice sketches, especially the expressiveness of the characters faces which just become really stilted.

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »

Thanks, I try to get a universe as rich as possible. The Wind Fortress is a floating island but it is not the only livable place on the planet. NPCs tell you a lot about surrounding islands, but I prefer to let things opened, so players could create their own islands that other players could visit.

About the cellshading, I could try to make the strokes thiner or change their color according to skin tone (or clothes/hair colot). But that sounds like a lot of work! I could try on one character to see how it looks...

For now, I've decided to go with the softer music

. Maybe I will find a better song, but I haven't yet!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:39:24 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »

Today, a focus on Arpis:

Arpis joined the Guild of Air when he was only a child and quickly developed advanced skills. Very curious, he has participated in many important studies, building a solid reputation over the years. Despite his youthfull appearance, he is currently Dean of the Academy and therefore the most powerful man in Askan.

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »

You can now try the avatar editor:
http://www.windfortress.com/demo2.php?p=avatar_editor

You can save the avatar in PNG on my server and display it on screen. You can then save it on your computer if you wan't to. Don't hesitate to copy the link of the image and to post it on this page. I'm pretty curious to see your creations!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:11:49 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »

A new non-playable character: Ilvis, the Troubadour.

Ilvis traveled the world as a troubadour for years. He went from village to village, from tavern to tavern, carrying with him only a small backpack and a guitar. His joy of life is matched only by his love for Leim liquor, an alcoholic beverage made from honey. One night at the Askan tavern, Ilvis had his instrument stolen, or maybe lost – he was too drunk to remember! Ilvis the troubadour became Ilvis the homeless, living on the harbor docks, listening to the boat captains’ stories and trading his songs for a beer.

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »

Polkin, the outcast warrior

Polkin was a magician, wildly known for her power and her bad temper. Objecting to the behavior of her Guild, she decided to stop using magic and became an outcast. She likes to go to the city market and lecture people against the deception perpetuated by the wizards, especially Arpis. She excels in heavy weapons mastery and it is said that she can overcome ten mages at the same time.

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »

Today, I won't talk about an NPC but about two of the fifty animals you can fight, capture or adopt.

The wee chookie

Small and annoying, it is the most common species on the island. There can be as many as five specimens per square foot. This animal mimics all the sounds it hears. Sometimes, an overwrought person will trample it in fury.

The scrape rat

Cowardly but aggressive when it perceives an immediate threat, it uses only the senses of hearing and smell. To feed itself, it scratches the ground with its powerful hind legs.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:25:39 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

Here some new animals:

The shady teeth

Small and slimy, it attracts smaller animals by giving them shelter from the sun. Once under its head, its prey has no chance to escape from its swift jaws. Some specimens have up to two thousand tiny sharp teeth.

The chiahaha

Surprisingly, this bird has no wings. It hovers in midair by rapidly flapping its giant ears fifty times per second. Its name comes from its strange squawk: ‘chiahaha.’ Air elementalists observe its movement to predict wind, making the chiahaha their animal totem.

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »

Another focus on an NPC: Munch, the Alchemist

Munch has always lived in Askan and does not appreciate foreigners, whose manners and language he does not understand. He takes interest only in medicine and alchemy and disrespects all other kinds of magic. His alchemy knowledge is extremely advanced and he is willing to push boundaries in his research. Some say he tests his potions on animals, and sometimes even on human beings!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:35:54 PM by DrSchizo » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »

You can find a lot more information about the game on our new website and on social medias:

I put a lot of work on it, I hope you'll like it!

I'm actually asking myself if I should have a fb and twitter page for the game (Wind Fortress) or for the studio (Nine Square Zone). I currently chose the last solution, since I'm already working on other games. As Paul Eres says in this post "social networks are better for retaining old ones. if you release a series of a lot of products (such as sequels to your games, DLC's, etc.) then social networks become more important than if you are only trying to sell a single product". Do you think it is a wise decision or should I create a page for Wind Fortress only?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:42:29 AM by DrSchizo » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic