Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:49:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80153 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

Looks AWESOME.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »

sounds like a modern version of noctis haha

EDIT: reading more about it it sounds A LOT like noctis
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:16:22 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »

Seeing as I don't know what noctis is, I shall stand strong in my deluded impressions that the first impression is undoubtedly awesome.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »

whole universe filled with 'procedurally generated' Earths

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

It sounds kind of like the type of game a person decides to make about ten seconds after booting up Game Maker Lite for the first time. That being said, it could be really cool if done right.

jiitype
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »

I hope there's actually something to do rather than just empty planets. Looks cool though.

It's a bit funny that this is from the creators of Joe Danger.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:45 PM »

Interview with devs

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/10/interview-no-mans-sky-and-procedural-generation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 12:44:48 AM »

Seeing as I don't know what noctis is, I shall stand strong in my deluded impressions that the first impression is undoubtedly awesome.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:20:54 AM »

Yeah, my first thought was 'Noctis!' followed by '... but a million times more ambitious'. Too good to be true, even.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »

It's a cool idea in terms of looks, but I'm not hyped for it. I feel like it'll be a type of game where you have a universe to explore but nothing to really "do". I'd rather have 30 random planets connected by an actual plot thread/story that forces you to explore and discover their secrets, than 10000 planets that have nothing to do on them but walk around and admire the view. It feels to me like it would quickly become boring after you're done flying around and shooting stuff randomly - basically, a tech demo in game form.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »

yeah same here, bought it already and beated from start to finish, it is overrated crap, you just go and shoot meteors and sharks.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »

Yeah, my first thought was 'Noctis!' followed by '... but a million times more ambitious'. Too good to be true, even.
i don't like the visual aesthetic tho. futura font + soft pink is pretty meh to begin with and adding generic looking spaceships doesnt make it much better. one of the cool things about noctis (for me) was that the extreme low poly graphics + weird blur made it look like a dream. but welp.

btw i was thinking how all those indie "ambient exploration games" really owe a lot to noctis, so it's only natural that we've come full circle now haha.

It's a cool idea in terms of looks, but I'm not hyped for it. I feel like it'll be a type of game where you have a universe to explore but nothing to really "do".
but there IS something to "do", i.e. explore planets and share your findings. from your post it sounds like what you really want is a totally different game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:38:36 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »

It's a cool idea in terms of looks, but I'm not hyped for it. I feel like it'll be a type of game where you have a universe to explore but nothing to really "do". I'd rather have 30 random planets connected by an actual plot thread/story that forces you to explore and discover their secrets, than 10000 planets that have nothing to do on them but walk around and admire the view. It feels to me like it would quickly become boring after you're done flying around and shooting stuff randomly - basically, a tech demo in game form.
Did they say there won't be stories?  In theory, they could totally have 10000 planets and still have generated characters and plots sprinkled throughout them ...

From what I read it sounded like at the very least there will be some basic high-level goal of going towards the 'center' of their universe, and difficulty will increase as you get closer to the center.  Even that implies a structure beyond randomly flying around -- you'd presumably be gathering resources and upgrading your ship to enable further descent toward the end goal, just like in so many other random-content games (diablo, etc).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:49:55 PM by Zaphos » Logged

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »

this game looks very pretty and from the sound of it in that interview, their heads are in a good place, gameplay-wise. We don't have enough info to judge it yet, but I see a lot of potential here

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »

yeah same here, bought it already and beated from start to finish, it is overrated crap, you just go and shoot meteors and sharks.
aye, tho shooting those purple sharks was fun, but then other colors weren't as fun

4/10

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

Procedural generation doesn't necessarily imply "random and boring". Possibilities exist far beyond that. As for this game, it remains to be seen.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »

It is entirely possible that you can make a procedural generated game that isn't just random and boring. It's just not likely because that's really, really hard.

Given the choice between this and say, Outer Wilds which is the same basic concept except with a small, non-random world I think Outer Wilds will win every time. But hey, give them a chance. Maybe they'll deliver something cool.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »

Anchorman 2 is already rated 6.8 with over 500 ratings on polish version of imdb, yet this movie's gonna come out in 4 days <3

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »

Procedural generation doesn't necessarily imply "random and boring". Possibilities exist far beyond that. As for this game, it remains to be seen.

This is correct.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »

The bit about players sharing discoveries could help minimize the "random and boring" issue -- if they design it well, players will naturally highlight/promote the interesting parts of their universe.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic