Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:41:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80096 times)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »

i just want noctis v god damn it

all these previews are showing that its falling down the steam early access survival game hole and that goes against everything i wanted from it

my kingdom for a creative/noctis mode

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »

all these previews are showing that its falling down the steam early access survival game hole and that goes against everything i wanted from it

my kingdom for a creative/noctis mode

same. RIP. it's like, the game still looks visually nice and etc and im sure it's gonna have nice planet generation and whatnot. but i am LESS THAN ENTHUSED about the thought of playing yet another game where you punch trees to build wooden axes. not to mention, travelling to planets because they contain PHAT LOOT kinda cheapens the whole experience to begin with. they had a really great foundation and then took the most boring route with it is how i see it.

outer wilds (which surprisingly is still in dev and had a successful crowdfunding campaign last september) is our last hope now.  Beg
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:12:12 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »

yeah i loved the outer wilds demo, super excited for that

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »

I really want this game to be great.
But if we look at the odds, what they did is probably a mash up the two trending genres of the indie scene in the last few years: "crafting, survival multiplayer" + "space sim".

I'm just gonna leave it with that's what it PROBABLY is. Because if i say that believing in this is facing the reality, i would be misjuding it just as much as people who are hyped for it, but basicaly on the other side of the spectrum.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 12:22:29 AM »

And I'm getting more hyped for it by the day, despite agreeing with you on the Steam-survivalcraft-punch-the-tree-genre thing being a huge letdown. I guess the premise and artwork still do it for me.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »

Music is gonna be awesome.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

And I'm getting more hyped for it by the day, despite agreeing with you on the Steam-survivalcraft-punch-the-tree-genre thing being a huge letdown. I guess the premise and artwork still do it for me.

well who knows, maybe it's gonna be the tree puncher to end all tree punchers.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:34 PM »

Maybe there'll be an option to turn off the tree punching and just splore, ala Subnautica.

Really though I never had an hope for this -- ambitious + nebulous design goals + trying to be everything to everyone has turned out well approximately never.

Also the aesthetics in this are kind of lame -- part of what made Noctis so... impactful? was how hazy and vague everything looked. You were never QUITE sure what you were looking at -- maybe that's a land formation, maybe it's a building, but it's huge and doesn't QUITE jive with how you expect geometry to work.

This is like, visually, any space game ever, but with goats and dinosaurs. Hell it doesn't even have FE2's /special clouds/.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 02:02:51 AM »

any space game ever, but with goats and dinosaurs. Hell it doesn't even have FE2's /special clouds/.

It uses instagram filter colors which appeals to me bc i am a pleb.

Besides, they are obviously trying to appeal to AAA gammers with this, so if they actually did something like noctis's ethereal haze look u can bet there would be a billion complaints about that.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 04:45:25 PM »

what's instagram, im a luddite

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »

So any more details on NMS gameplay? You're trying to reach the center of the galaxy.... it's minecraft basically?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »

Seems closer to Elite than Minecraft. Crafting elements, but in service towards fueling your expedition.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

ambitious + nebulous design goals + trying to be everything to everyone has turned out well approximately never.

and yet also the perfect recipe for crowdfunding success. it needs to be vague enough so that people project their hopes and dreams into it. and real talk: its extremely hard not to fall into the trap of trying to please everybody when you have 5000ppl who have given you money emailing you about every design decision. kickstarter sword of damocles

k00lkyle
Level 0

Hi how are ya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »

I feel like this game could be boring for some people that want more of a sense of direction, but for people like me who are cool with endless exploration as long as the terrain feels nice and varied, I think it holds countless hours of play as long as there is a feeling of progression.

And I think to myself, what a wonderful<br /><br />pancake. Wow that pancake looks delicious.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2016, 02:00:44 AM »

Seems closer to Elite than Minecraft. Crafting elements, but in service towards fueling your expedition.

my sticking point is: do you explore for the sake of exploration or for the sake of getting better materials/upgrades/phat loot?
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »

It sounds kind of like the type of game a person decides to make about ten seconds after booting up Game Maker Lite for the first time. That being said, it could be really cool if done right.

Yeah in an interview their dev said "I'm not a very good programmer that's why we tried this to make it easier for us"

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »

ambitious + nebulous design goals + trying to be everything to everyone has turned out well approximately never.

and yet also the perfect recipe for crowdfunding success. it needs to be vague enough so that people project their hopes and dreams into it. and real talk: its extremely hard not to fall into the trap of trying to please everybody when you have 5000ppl who have given you money emailing you about every design decision. kickstarter sword of damocles

There's some JRPG thing I was following on steam but it got pushed back a year due to feature creep, and said feature creep is a bunch of bullshit MMO stuff anyway.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/

Although now that I look at screenshots I have no idea why I'm following this and think I got it confused with another game I WAS interested in. Wupz.

--

Yeah I got it confused with Cosmic Star Heroine somehow. For that one it looks like Zeboyd's actively not doing stretch goals.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:20:23 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

matwek
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 12:31:08 AM »

I'm looking forward to the concept that everyone is essentially playing on the same map, but there is so much content to find that you can explore properly.

I do like exploration games but they somewhat lose their appeal when I know that the cool place I've found, or the awesome item I just looted was never really there, it was just generated at random for that specific run. No one is ever going to find that place again because it will disappear the moment I switch off my game.

I know No Mans Sky also uses alograrithms to generate random content, but once that content is generated it exists for everyone forever. Its bit of an abritory complaint about exploration games, but it I think this change will make the exploration side of things feel more meaningful to me.

I'm not just a passing visitor to a fleeting randomised world, I'll actually exist within that world.
I guess its the randomised world equivalent of "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound", and it No Man Skys case, then the answer could be "yes"
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 01:05:45 AM »

hey does any body remember the computer game "damocles". i never played it but it had space and some kind of president (of space?)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 01:45:54 AM »

I know No Mans Sky also uses alograrithms to generate random content, but once that content is generated it exists for everyone forever. Its bit of an abritory complaint about exploration games, but it I think this change will make the exploration side of things feel more meaningful to me.

This is how space games have worked since elite fyi. It's nothing new.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic