Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:49:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80156 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

Actually I already gave an accurate and informative answer 30 years ago
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:50:02 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »

Maybe i just havent looked at videos enough but I've been trying to follow development and one thing that worries me about this game is simply gameplay. Or engaging narrative. If it's just a simulator of playing from world to world then...

The ability to do everything you can do in this title is amazing but if there isn''t enough "life" or narrative.. or something to grab and compel players who want more than just flying from planet to space/space to planet... then i cn see this failing somewhat.

I can see myself getting bored if my fears are realised. Also if I dont play it through the rift, because i guess that would make flying about as enjoyable as is required. 

I have to agree with this. Same for me.
Game looks amazing, only looks but i fear it would be boring to play it for more than hour.

But...

This game is quite vivid and visually diverse. I reckon it will be exciting for some players to try it while high - feels like you'll be sucked into it under certain condition. It sure has that "tripping factor".

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »

And now it's delayed. I understand though why they did it - with release of this scale and complexity they have to make sure everything is good and as bugless as possible.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »

still probably going to be buggy as heck on release haha.

anyway, people are freaking out about this (as always when a game gets delayed). but those same people would probably call the game "literally unplayable" and a "buggy piece of shit" if it came out right now. damned if u do damned if u don't.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »

speaking as a person in a similar situation... yeah its hell. and the difference in quality that even a month can make is insanely huge.

but of course: https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/736686755139719168

good ol reasonable videogame enthusiasts

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »

b-b-but i thought gamer entitlement isn't real??
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »

but of course: https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/736686755139719168

good ol reasonable videogame enthusiasts
I have nothing in life but an insatiable thirst for content, the will to consume.
FEED ME

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »

Must say, I don`t recall a game that would cause so much confusion and be so divisive, for a long long time.

So far I`ve heard people complaining that there`s nothing to do in it or that there is stuff to do, that it costs too much, or that procgen sucks by default or that it`s overhyped - all before the game has even been released.

Admittedly I also dismissed it at first, since it looked like a modern-palette tinged curio project with not much gameplay a la Journey.

However, since that big news blowout some months ago it seems it`s basically Elite with a giant (writhing) mass of cool gameplay systems added on. One would think everybody would jump up and rightly consider it the most exciting "big" game of the last decade (okay I know it`s "indie" but these are blurry lines here), alas Internet had other ideas.

I sincerely hope they will pull it off. My dream NMS would be one in which  I could play Ironman with random spawns in the galaxy and seeing how far will I go and survive on each run...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »

However, since that big news blowout some months ago it seems it`s basically Elite with a giant (writhing) mass of cool gameplay systems added on. One would think everybody would jump up and rightly consider it the most exciting "big" game of the last decade (okay I know it`s "indie" but these are blurry lines here), alas Internet had other ideas.

well iunno, "elite with extra stuff" games (aka space trading games) are already plentiful. idk why that would be something to get excited about on its own.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:33:01 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »

Quote from: Silbereisen
well iunno, "elite with extra stuff" games (aka space trading games) are already plentiful.

No they are not, for last month or so I`v been on a massive SPAAACCEE! games trip and marveled at how deserted this field is.

Of course by "Elite with extra stuff" we mean procgen galaxy in 3D with some decent flight model and things to do. There isn`t a single game like that apart form Elite sequels or Oolite.

Step below there`s the X, Evochron, Gemini universes which are great but of course limited. Some promising indies like Rodina or that other one  I forgot the name of (bit like Minecraft) are great too. But it`s still not "it".

The truth is, I want NMS to be a roguelike like and there is a faint glimmer of hope it could be played like that. For now, good ol` Prospector will have to do. But even if it`s "just" an universe with good lots of decent & working gameplay systems, then I find this super exciting.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »

fair enough!
matwek
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »

I think my curiosity for this game is begining to peak a little more than my concern that the actual gameplay might be a little dull.

I've been reading up on some of the 'multiplayer' elements of the game (if it can even be called that).
They mentioned that there wasn't any PvP so to speak and that people shouldn't be expecting your traditonal multiplayer experience, but they did say that it would be potentially possible to come across another within the game world... although the chances of that happening in the vast emptiness of space make that chance infinitely small.

Which got me thinking. If the end goal of the game is to reach the centre of the Universe, wouldn't traveling to that focal point begin to increase the chance of meeting other players?

I did wonder if that might be intentional in the design, which is kind of cool. You spend 90% of the game alone but the further you progress the more people you meet in passing. It give the game a sort of 'Journey' vibe but on a much larger scale.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

i'm not bothered by that. i want a game where i can forge my own path, not some kind of MMO.
matwek
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »

i'm not bothered by that. i want a game where i can forge my own path, not some kind of MMO.
I think thats the point though, its an MMO in the sense that everyone is playing the same game and some things you do will alter that environment for other players (blowing up fleets & space stations), but the game is so vast in size the chance of you even noticing is indescribably small.
You're still essentially forging your own path, but there is this rare, once in a life time chance that you might bumb into another player. It might not even happen to most people.

Thats the bit that I find interesting. Its a small sense of multi-player in an otherwise single player game.
I't would be like playing Fallout alone for months and then one day spotting another player making their way across the glowing sea in the distance...
What do you do? Try and communicate with them or immediately shoot them?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2016, 01:50:34 AM »

Right, what I meant was like an MMO with the standard railroaded MMO progression and features.

I don't think it's going to be that unlikely to find planets already explored by other players tbh. You would come across them pretty often in Noctis and that game had a much smaller playerbase than NMS will probably have. It also used a system where you had to send your discoveries to the dev via email, who would then incorporate them manually into the star charts and release new charts for download periodically. NMS discoveries are fully automated.
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »

I`m seriously hoping the online bit won`t be mandatory. I have no interest in landing somewhere and seeing "johnny wuz ere" human pollution kinda stuff. As an option, it`s okay, but the game shouldn`t need it (and they always said it`s a mainly SP-experience).

Also, I don`t care much for that "goal" of reaching the centre. Hope it`s a bit like Amulet of Yendor - it`s there, okay, but the main point is playing the game and seeing what happens. The phrase "story generator" is fairly worn out, but teh games I`m into these days do just that.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »

The only major difference between that game and other infinite space shooter is that they are the first to have procedural art direction, the game literally know color theory in its algorithm. Contrast to military dark empty space style we had in every game since them.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2016, 08:37:03 AM »

it's out

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »