Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:28:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80252 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #920 on: December 03, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »

A tip: býpass chips still cost almost nothing, so the strategy of landing near one of those red things that allow to summon your ship saves you a ton of plutonium. This was true in the original but its even more important now in survival mode.

But now theres an object that you can build and allows you to search for structures. You can search for "colonial outposts" and you'll probably find bases with that red mini-tower. Their buildings will also protect you from hazards.

Yeah, Ive been using bypass chips whenever I can, but it also seems like planetary structures are less common than before on many planets. If you are stranded without plutonium on a dangerous world and your only hope is to find a base with a landing pad, setting out to find such a structure will feel like a hopeless suicide mission.

Heres a tip of my own: put a life support upgrade on your exosuit, and put it next to your life support tech to get a synergy bonus. It makes a huge difference. It seems like they've doubled or maybe even tripled the life support cost for running and using your jetpack, but a single upgrade makes a big difference there. Also importantly, those upgrades dont raise the cost of recharging your life support at all, so you get a lot more power for the same cost of resources.
Damage shielding is also a great upgrade, it just reduces all damage you take, and doesn't need recharging. It seems to not only reduce damage you take from sentinels and animals etc, but also reduces damage you take from running out of hazard protection and life support, so its really just a big increase to survival across the board. That part of it makes it so good that it seems like an oversight, something they might fix in an update later.

Im not sure how useful the more specific hazard protection upgrades are, they dont seem to last very long and seem to cost just as much to recharge as your main hazard protection suit item. It doesnt seem like you really make any gains from having these? I tried having two of them in synergy with my main suit, and it lasted longer, but a single one seems to not be worth it at all.

About survival mode and the other play modes and whether their worlds are generated the same, I've been wondering this as well. It definitely feels like resources are less plentiful than before in survival mode, or at least have been in the common star systems I've been sticking to so far. So perhaps the star systems and planets themselves are generated the same, but populated with fewer resources depending on your play mode?
I also noticed there aren't any plants that just heal your life or recharge your shield on their own anymore. If there are, they must be extremely rare, I haven't encountered a single one since the update. Maybe those were just removed entirely, or just dont spawn in survival mode.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:45:54 PM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 03, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5gal0v/the_astrophysics_update/
This game you won't have

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 04, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »

About survival mode and the other play modes and whether their worlds are generated the same, I've been wondering this as well. It definitely feels like resources are less plentiful than before in survival mode, or at least have been in the common star systems I've been sticking to so far. So perhaps the star systems and planets themselves are generated the same, but populated with fewer resources depending on your play mode?
I also noticed there aren't any plants that just heal your life or recharge your shield on their own anymore. If there are, they must be extremely rare, I haven't encountered a single one since the update. Maybe those were just removed entirely, or just dont spawn in survival mode.

Playing earlier today, I found a system that was already discovered by somebody else. I landed in one of the planets of that system, it was a barren planet, without a single animal and very few plants (the description said fauna: nonexistent, or something like that). But, to my surprise, when I checked the discovery page I saw several animals found by the previous player. My hipothesis is that he was playing on normal mode and since I was on survival the same planet changed to become harder, less resources, animal life, etc. (its not a perfect theory, since you could argue that animals have no impact in difficulty, or that hostile life actually raises the challenge, but I couldnt explain the differences any other way)

I also havent found any of those healing plants and zinc plants are incredible rare in every planet i've landed. The update took a lot of good steps in the right direction to make each planet distinct, but I still wish they could make more unique resource distributions, a planet with a lot of zinc flowers, for example, or without thamium or platinum, especially in survival. But I'm just in my third system, so it could become better later.   
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 04, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »

I think it's because the seed is the same as the previous universe (aka update) they forgot to wipe the data serverside. Planet just regenerate with the new terrain algorithm but comic data remain the same.

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: December 04, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »

They would probably need to give you better means of analyzing the contents of planets before they make them more distinct than they are currently in their resources. You'd definitely need some sort of warning before you land on a planet where some of the more important base resources like iron, carbon and plutonium are rare, those would be deathtraps if you are unprepared. The overall higher danger of exploring is already restricting you in how far you can venture from your ship in many planets, so plutonium being even merely *uncommon* can be really dangerous.

I noticed that planets where your life support drains at 2x speed tend to have these huge patches of like 8-12 thamium plants, making them actually one of the "safest" planets to explore once you are past that initial panic. I've made huge stocks of thamium on planets like this while plundering them for other resources.

It feels really strange how you can now warp back to your base planet from any space station, and it instantly moves your ship with you even. I wonder if that might be temporary until they have you own several ships simultaneously or something, and have you keep some kind of spare ship in your home base instead. I mean this works for now, but something about it feels like a stopgap measure.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:43:14 PM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »

This looks neat: http://titouanm.com/mucartographer/
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #926 on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »

How does freighter progression work + what do they do
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 06, 2016, 05:44:49 PM »

It's a portable base that double as a portable station

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #928 on: December 06, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »

Does it have the same "you have to buy 5 slot ship, then 7 slot ship, then 11 slot ship, before you can buy 15 slot ship" problem
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 07, 2016, 04:22:57 AM »

Does it have the same "you have to buy 5 slot ship, then 7 slot ship, then 11 slot ship, before you can buy 15 slot ship" problem

Freighters  are extremely expensive, but once you buy one you'll probably keep it forever.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #930 on: December 07, 2016, 06:39:40 AM »

Freighters  are extremely expensive, but once you buy one you'll probably keep it forever.

Alright then my goal is to get a cool looking one
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 07, 2016, 07:34:30 AM »

Keep in mind that, as of patch 1.12, freighters are just huge storage containers with the added hassle of having to talk to the captain in order to transfer anything to or from it.

This will probably change soon, but for now is best to expand your home base with storage bins if you only care about the gameplay advantages. (if you want a cool looking ship, go for it)
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: December 07, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »

Keep in mind that, as of patch 1.12, freighters are just huge storage containers with the added hassle of having to talk to the captain in order to transfer anything to or from it.

This will probably change soon, but for now is best to expand your home base with storage bins if you only care about the gameplay advantages. (if you want a cool looking ship, go for it)

I wanna find a good planet before I make a good looking base

Right now I have most of the new techs learnt and an okay base on a:  pink grassy planet with floating islands directly beneath a black hole

I can do better if I try though
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »

I like this comment  Giggle
Rigogen sucks. I've only found ONE planet with it and it has huge fuck-off sharks swimming around. I was swimming around in the dark occasionally checking my visor when a green dot starts creeping up around the edge of an undersea ridge. School of harmless jellyfish... nope, that's a 15 foot shark. And it's fast. It takes all of half a second to kill the fuckers, but sharks are easily my biggest phobia, and videogame sharks are the one place where I always draw the line. I swam to the surface, jetpacked out of there, got in my ship and took off, touched down at the space station, and teleported back to my home planet 60,000 light years away. No thank you space shark. Not today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1264575&page=178

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »

survival is fucking cool but also fucking tedious
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 07, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

So after excusing myself from the launch drama this game had I came back to check this thread and everyone's having... fun?

Did they patch fun into the game, or is the consensus that the game is actually good despite not being what it said it would be, or were a lot of the supposedly-missing features actually in the game after all, or what?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 07, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »

you can read the thread and find out for yourself (its a mix of everything)

anyway, survival would be so cool if the space battles didnt suck so much. a pirate encounter in the normal game is like "oh not this tedious shit again", pirate encounters in survival mode are like "ok bye inventory".

it does need a lot of tweaks in general and i hope they'll roll those out eventually. for example, some starting planets are literally impossible to survive. also your hazard protection regen in caves is way too slow. having to stand around for several minutes waiting for it to recharge is not fun.

in general even if it's a tense and exciting experience, im not sure how long i can endure it. just the runs for the various ship resources on the starting planet took me several hours. the thought of having to repeat half of that everytime i salvage a crashed ship is not very enticing tbh.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:52:25 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 08, 2016, 04:14:51 AM »

anyway, survival would be so cool if the space battles didnt suck so much. a pirate encounter in the normal game is like "oh not this tedious shit again", pirate encounters in survival mode are like "ok bye inventory".

That is my main gripe with survival in the moment, but keep in mind that there is ways around it. Build as soon as possible the shield upgrades and carry a lot of iron, which you can farm or buy at stations. After I started carrying two stacks of 500 iron I never lost a ship.

it does need a lot of tweaks in general and i hope they'll roll those out eventually. for example, some starting planets are literally impossible to survive. also your hazard protection regen in caves is way too slow. having to stand around for several minutes waiting for it to recharge is not fun.

The recharge time in your hazard protection is also slower inside your ship. I think the objective is to make you carry or craft Shields, not to make you wait a long time. What I do is to always buy those shields in the stations before going to explore.

Another thing is to use alien bases as your way to recover the hazard protection, since inside it will recover a lot faster than in any other place. You have a beam that you can build now and lets you find colonial outposts, which in my experience are mostly those buildings with reinforced doors. They not only give you good tech, but also have those bypass chip towers that let you fly without paying the 200 plutonium. This creates a good flow, you craft a beam, go to a colonial outpost, explore around it using the base as protection from hazards, then craft another beam and fly without paying plutonium.

in general even if it's a tense and exciting experience, im not sure how long i can endure it. just the runs for the various ship resources on the starting planet took me several hours. the thought of having to repeat half of that everytime i salvage a crashed ship is not very enticing tbh.

In my short experience, the starting moments are the hardest ones in survival. Once you get your ship flying and go to space stations you can start buying things and it will be a lot easier than searching for them in the planets.

The things with this mode is that you need to be aware of all the resources and itens that you'll need and buy them, like buying shields, life support recharges, zinc (because it's too rare), plutonium, etc. Also, I dont think that searching for crashed ships is the way to go now, especially with so much new ways to make money using your base.

Did they patch fun into the game, or is the consensus that the game is actually good despite not being what it said it would be, or were a lot of the supposedly-missing features actually in the game after all, or what?

The game has now a more sense of purpose instead of being a "see beautiful vistas" simulator. If you hated at release you'll probably still dislike it now, but I suspect that in a year the game will be more to the taste of those that wanted more "game" in it.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 08, 2016, 07:48:45 PM »

i want a new ending where you get to the center of the galaxy and like the aliens are there and they're all

"HUMAN. THIS IS NO MAN'S SKY"

and then your character is all

"I AM NO MAN" and pulls her head off to reveal she was a woman this whole time

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 17, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5iuv2o/rseries_astromech_and_3po_protocol_base/
Upside down and angle exploit

https://imgur.com/gallery/YZVZU
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:33:22 PM by gimymblert » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic