Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:12:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80149 times)
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #960 on: January 19, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »

I have more hours logged on No Man's Sky than you Gimmy and I am absolutely serious when I say that if you send more joke reports I will ban you until you send me 10 units of carbon
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: January 19, 2017, 09:37:19 PM »

So in the game the solution of puzzle gave a pattern, when solving those in the transmission room a map appear with 3 points, these point match a longitude and latitude coordinate using a mercator map, and these coordinate are the number given by the puzzle ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81da_yoga
Nāda

Datamining find strangely name folder ...
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/5nmu59/then_theres_this_little_wtf/
I found the sandworm files, and a script for its emergence. Complete with rocks and smoke...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/5nzet0/from_10current_these_have_remained/

Hold on. You have to slow down. You're losing it. You have to take a breath. Listen to yourself. You're connecting a computer bug I had with a computer bug you might have had and some religious hogwash. You want to find the number 216 in the world, you will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out and find that thing everywhere.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 07, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/290712/Come_to_GDC_2017_and_see_the_math_that_made_the_worlds_of_No_Mans_Sky.php
Come to GDC 2017 and see the math that made the worlds of No Man's Sky

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 28, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »

Qr code mystery
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/5wgqpk/carrying_on_from_ukr8ghts_work_on_qr_style_code/?st=izom108u&sh=c8363b98

misc
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/5vx5kr/a_fresh_ideai_think/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/5w1y7o/are_we_wrong_about_guns/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/5w9699/the_hunt_for_the_black_octoberblackhole_shielding/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:13:03 AM by gimymblert » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 03, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »

They won technical innovation in front of the witness, pokemon go and firewatch, but they weren't at the ceremony, they got out for dinner because they didn't expected to win lol
https://mobile.twitter.com/innesmck/status/837147105428967424
https://mobile.twitter.com/innesmck/status/837147802736209921
https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/837159337109901313

In a move that is sure to draw a fair share of raised eyebrows, the GDC 2017 Awards have given No Man’s Sky its award for Innovation. The space exploration game beat out the likes of The Witness, Firewatch, and the extremely popular Pokemon GO for the title.

While there will be plenty of criticism thrown towards Game Developers Choice Awards for its selection of No Man’s Sky, it’s important to point out that the voters were recognizing the technology behind Hello Games’ release, not necessarily the quality of its content. Since its release in August of last year, No Man’s Sky has been nothing if not contentious, and this award will likely continue that conversation.

Looking strictly at No Man’s Sky’s innovation, there are plenty of impressive elements to the game. As we note in our No Man’s Sky review, the way in which the game procedurally generated a vast galaxy with unique planets and creatures is staggering. Of course, under further examination it became clear that the game did rely on familiar patterns and the variety started to disappear.

Still, there’s no doubt that No Man’s Sky’s legacy will be looked at from two perspectives. On the one hand, the technology is impressive and now award-winning, but on the other its gameplay may not have been all gamers built it up to be in their heads. Perhaps the game might eventually get there, though, as Hello Games seemingly has more content updates in the works.

No Man’s Sky is available now for PC and PS4.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349183

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 03, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »

In a move that is sure to draw a fair share of raised eyebrows, the GDC 2017 Awards have given No Man’s Sky its award for Innovation. The space exploration game beat out the likes of The Witness, Firewatch, and the extremely popular Pokemon GO for the title.

good because none of these games are innovative
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: March 03, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »

Innovation is more often than not riskier than staying in a safe area.

This game deserved it, despite its false advertisement.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »

i was never really into the hype so i dont feel "betrayed" by the devs or anything. i think it's an overambitious game by a small team that underdelivered but still did some really cool stuff.  Smiley
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: March 03, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »

good because none of these games are innovative
The Witness was really innovative. Its too bad it didnt win anything at GDC, its a pretty amazing game.
Was the award more like "technical" innovation maybe? Id see where NMS would stand out on that front for sure.
It seems to me like the more general innovation category is meant to be the Nuovo award. Thats where you get the really weird stuff, that might be the standard of innovation you are judging those games on

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #969 on: March 03, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »

The Witness was really innovative. Its too bad it didnt win anything at GDC, its a pretty amazing game.
Although I agree the Witness is a good game, I don't think it's too innovative. It takes the concept of line puzzles and expands on it through design (and through innovation within the design), but at the end of the day even towards the end of the game you're going through (really good) line puzzles. In this sense No Man's Sky took a bigger leap into something more daring, which is why I think its design is a lot less tight than the Witness as well.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »

I was in the GDC talk by Sean Murray that gimyblert posted a pic of earlier. Hearing what was said it all makes a bit more sense. Sean is an engine programmer - that's his passion. He made an engine first with all the cool features he wanted and then saw what kind of game could come out of that. What the player could do seemed to come later and almost as an afterthought.

Honestly I think the PlayStation publishing deal and all that hype really turned it into something in which it wasn't. I think he would have been happier releasing it as an almost Proteus-like experience instead.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 04, 2017, 12:01:53 AM »

OK the witness is maybe debateable, but neither Poke a Mango (p much a reskin of another game) nor Firewatch do anything really new.

Besides, picking the "artsy" puzzle game would probably have been the "safe" choice for this award actually.

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2017, 04:39:23 AM »

Although I agree the Witness is a good game, I don't think it's too innovative. It takes the concept of line puzzles and expands on it through design (and through innovation within the design), but at the end of the day even towards the end of the game you're going through (really good) line puzzles. In this sense No Man's Sky took a bigger leap into something more daring, which is why I think its design is a lot less tight than the Witness as well.
I agree that No Man's Sky deserves the award, was really just saying The Witness was innovative as well.
The way that I found it innovative was its very extreme approach of gating your progress through the game entirely through your understanding of the mechanics of line puzzles, and almost nothing else. Where other games might use keys, unlockable movement options, passwords or event cutscenes to block and gate your progress, this game was all about understanding more and more of the rules. A locked door is a difficult puzzle that gives you no feedback on what you did wrong, and a key is a puzzle elsewhere that introduces the same rule more gently, in ways that allow you to understand them on your own. And all this within what is essentially an open world you can wander about at your leisure.
The parts of this whole are not new: puzzles, open world exploration and teaching game rules through play, but I have never seen a game bring all of this together at that scale before, and I think the result was very unique, and well deserving of being called innovative.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2017, 04:52:10 AM »

dont know, i heard jon blow is a meanie or some shit on twitter so anything he achieves in terms of designing games is false.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2017, 05:01:59 AM »

I agree that No Man's Sky deserves the award, was really just saying The Witness was innovative as well.
The way that I found it innovative was its very extreme approach of gating your progress through the game entirely through your understanding of the mechanics of line puzzles, and almost nothing else. Where other games might use keys, unlockable movement options, passwords or event cutscenes to block and gate your progress, this game was all about understanding more and more of the rules. A locked door is a difficult puzzle that gives you no feedback on what you did wrong, and a key is a puzzle elsewhere that introduces the same rule more gently, in ways that allow you to understand them on your own. And all this within what is essentially an open world you can wander about at your leisure.
The parts of this whole are not new: puzzles, open world exploration and teaching game rules through play, but I have never seen a game bring all of this together at that scale before, and I think the result was very unique, and well deserving of being called innovative.
That's true, The Witness manages to be almost entirely puzzle gameplay while still being very captivating. It manages to convey a sense of progress through design alone which is an impressive feat.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: March 04, 2017, 05:04:13 AM »

dont know, i heard jon blow is a meanie or some shit on twitter so anything he achieves in terms of designing games is false.

Jokes on u i've disliked his games and design philosophy since braid came out
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

Too bad it was technical innovation not gameplay innovation

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:44 AM »

shawn murky LYED to his loyal fan's

He shell be thrown to the dubgeon for these transpirAtion

We wiell never forgeve and never forgit

Shawn for prisen 2016

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 08, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »

No Man's Sky - The Path Finder Update

Their main site has crashed under the traffic
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:39:59 AM by gimymblert » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 08, 2017, 09:53:32 AM »

more LIES from the DESPICABLE SCOUNDREL shane merry!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic