Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:16:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookDefect [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Defect [Finished]  (Read 32723 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »

Nice Beer!

It's not much of a game exactly, but as Dock said it was definitely an experience.  And an enjoyable one, at that.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »

Woah I think i found the alternate ending. It's kind of weird.

Spoiler: So to get the alternate ending do you have to kill everyone using the loop back thing? And is the ending that instead of just exiting the game you die?Idk maybe I just bugged the first time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:49:10 PM by Nitro Crate » Logged
increpare
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 03:52:17 PM »

Woah I think i found the alternate ending. It's kind of weird.

Spoiler: So to get the alternate ending do you have to kill everyone using the loop back thing? And is the ending that instead of just exiting the game you die?Idk maybe I just bugged the first time.
you only have to kill your mother, actually.  I should probably add a 'the end' screen to the normal ending...maybe when I get back home I will...
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »

Oh wow, it was much deeper when I took the time to find the other ending. Now the title makes sense. What a horrifying concept!

Not many people will 'get it' though.
godsavant
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »

So now that everything's said and done, why did you suddenly decide to make a game at the last minute? Was the spontaneous idea simply too good to pass up (which I agree it is)? Or was it just a challenge to yourself?
increpare
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »

Quote from: benziopterix
Not many people will 'get it' though.
I'm happy for people to take from it what they will.

why did you suddenly decide to make a game at the last minute? Was the spontaneous idea simply too good to pass up (which I agree it is)? Or was it just a challenge to yourself?
'twas a good excuse to make a game.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 12:13:46 AM »

Inspiring. Chilling. Very Shakespearean, in a strange way. Loved it!

whitespace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 03:25:22 AM »

I love the music/sound
increpare
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »

Cheers.

(FTR, I updated the game with a very slightly alterednormalending there...not worth playing through again to see, just thought I should put it on the books).
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »

yeah, after a while my ears kind of 'dissected' the music, if you will
it didn't make any sense at all, i could hear the rhythm, but it was like my earswere putting the emphasis on the wrong beats or something.
 WTF

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:52 PM »

Creepy.

Nothing more needs to be said.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:03:10 PM by Nightshade » Logged

cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »

I really like the mondo/cactusesqued narrative structure in this game. It really came through well. I always felt traditional narratives are ill fit for games. I love the idea of being in control but not knowing what your goals and purposes are. Moreover it's a narrative structure that can only work on games since you need the illusion of control.

Though, I admit it's a bit too obscure for me to understand at least not on my first play through. I will probably go through and get the second ending later. I don't have the heart to do that again right now.

Also the god awful music fits this game really well. I really don't listen to music so it's much more impressive to me when music attempts to do something else other than sound nice.

great job!
Rock D
Level 0

I waited for an hour but this never happened.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2009, 06:41:42 AM »

Some ideas I took away from the game: Consistency of opinion (direction) does not lead to deeper insights. It doesn't matter if you change opinion if your outlook on the future stays unidirectional. Solipsism is very destructive to your relations if you change opinion radically in presence of other people, but only after they've gotten to know you. The environment will gladly accept any new point of symmetry on your spectrum of opinion.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think it's a very clever game. Who said games couldn't be art?

Solipsism is an interesting concept within games because everything outside of the player's direct experience can be manipulated in ways totally inconsistent with how the player expects the world to work. Movies and books lack the ability to respond to how the viewer thinks about them. They can't have a feedback loop that substantially alters the content, just a metaphysical one that alters the interpretation of old content by presenting new content during the first iteration(viewing) and reinterpretation of content in subsequent iterations(see Memento).

For an interesting experience with how the cone of vision of the player builds their experiences and rules about the world, play Left 4 Dead. In versus mode, you get to see how zombies (and you too) can spawn nearby players only as long as they can't see each other. This knowledge can result in weird situations where people keep doors open and 'camp' sight areas in order not to get surprised by zombies.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:44:47 AM by Rock D » Logged
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2009, 08:24:15 AM »

Who said games couldn't be art?

Only a whole big bunch of people who haven't thought very deeply about the idea, or who haven't played very many games.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic