Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:53:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDoctor Who : A Brilliant Game [Final-Released]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who : A Brilliant Game [Final-Released]  (Read 26635 times)
Mr. Tat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »

It was a nice idea for you to have dialogue related to the plot while explaining what you need to do instead of like "click the button at the right time" that breaks the immersion and would probably have a few weird looks at the Doctor. The dialogue wasn't clear in some introductions, particularly the one in the memory room. But again, a little trial-and-error doesn't hurt.

The 8-bit sound is nice and fits the graphics, but it feels a little...droning at times?

One question though and it sounds corny and almost unrelated, but would this adventure game be a good introduction to the rest of Doctor Who? Almost like a summary of it, or do you need to be an avid watcher to get everything? I've been trying to get into the series for a while but the archive is overwhelming at times.

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

The more scenes and the improved/more various audio themes that will be introduced in the final version will certainly help you to overcome stuff that you fell uncomfortable with right now Smiley

Mmh, as a good introduction for Doctor Who ? That game ? Well, I'm not sure, but the movie (which is a big episode in fact) can be seen almost independently, like a start (but you won't appreciate it in all it's glory, anyway it really captures the spirit of the entire series). But frankly, Doctor Who is a series that can be, and should always be seen from the 2005 reboot (not really from the first black and white episodes, reserved to hardcore fans). You can also start from the season 5. The first of Matt Smith doctor (11). But the spirit is always different, you can't know Doctor Who without seeing everything, and I loved every minute of it.

Anyway, I can't really say the game is a summary, not sure about that. This is the game adaptation of one of the greatest of his adventure, but it's not one that is quite like the usual one.

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

I've been trying to get into the series for a while but the archive is overwhelming at times.

SFDebris to the rescue! Doctor Who 101

Visit the site for the introduction, stay for the analysis, comedy and insight on the rest of the series (or other series/movies).

(I'm not affiliated with SFDebris, just love Chuck's work)  Beer!

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 04:51:57 AM »

#1 irritation in this game: not being able to speed up the dialogue without skipping
#2 the music was annoying imo
Also on the minigame with the vegetables I got the answer right but it said it was wrong loads of times
A great game minus those things.

So long and thanks for all the pi
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »

Just played it, very nice, and looks promising!

As other have said, not being able to skip to the end of the text is a bit annoying, also, the minigames might need some polishing, I had trouble understanding what to do with the memory wipe and argument minigames.

The music is a bit annoying, and it is jarring to have chiptune music, but normal sounds. I think the chiptune music would benefit from another sound layer. For example, you could add a rythm layer to the main theme, underneath the current layer (the one with the doctor who tune).

But, it still looks and feels great, loved the extra scenes, like Clara's Gallifreyan life.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »

Amazing game and stunning assets.

Too bad that you guys are doing this based on Doctor Who and that the game will likely never be able to be released for money otherwise I think you guys would have really made a hell of a success. Just to tell you that next time make sure to focus your talent on something that could be released because your work's definitely worth it. Keep it up!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »

Yeah I wanna second what @ephoete said, though I don't think it's a shame to be doing the game based on Doctor Who, I'm definitely looking forward to future pieces (you'll have a lot more freedom in all aspects).
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 01:56:47 AM »

As I've said before regarding my own efforts, using an existing IP you feel passionate about is a good way of making it to release.

Once they'e finished this project, they'll have the assets and experience to tackle stuff of their own, so don't be so negative about this Doctor Who game!  Beer!

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:19 AM »

I've been able to take a few days along the year to work more on our fangame.
Waiting for a news, in the meantime, here's a screen :

Many stuff have been changed, UI is much more readable, help added for every mini-game, and also new minor interactions. Almost ten scenes are planned to be improved/added. The graphs have also been improved on some point (new FX, particles in the air, better light overlay...)

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »

The graphics are really good! But can I suggest using lower case letters as well as upper case ones?
Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

Capital letters ? well, the font I use has the same letters for both min and maj..
I'm ot sure that it will also make a great difference  Shrug

Anyway, the big news is out ! >> click to read <<

Where I talk about the upcoming new version (alpha fix), as well as what Is planned for the final version, when, what, and sneak peek of the improved content ! That "alpha fix" will indeed be released for the next week .

It has been one year since the last version. I didn't get the time I needed to update it fast enough, but it's now back on trails. And I've updated everything that could be updated, from dialogs, to UI, interactions, background art and so on. And the complete version will follow in a few months.

Zimra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 09:29:27 AM »

Ooooh !!! a Dr Who adventure game, that is brilliant ! the art is perfect !
(also, bonjour fellow french people :D)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:22:23 AM by Zimra » Logged

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2014, 03:58:24 AM »

Eh eh, bonjour à toi Smiley -I've just discovered you're whole creation /games/art. I like it alot :D) + bonus female developer, that's cool to see women in the business Gentleman

The fixed Alpha is coming very soon now Smiley
I've been improving even more the UI (it's my real job after all, it would be a shame if it wasn't as perfect as I wanted).

Lately I've been working on two important things, the sound volume control...
Yes... Handling sliders & sound control in flash is not as easy as It sounds X)...

...And most importantly, the unlock chapter system.
The game has been roughly separated in 4 chapters, though 5-10 scenes are still planned to be added - see last news)
So the player will be able to replay their favorite scene more easily.

-no, this is NOT the real code  WTF-

(bigger pictures formats available on the IndieDB Gallery)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:17:04 AM by Immudelki » Logged

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2014, 04:26:25 AM »

Good luck, it seems great, and as I'm also a huge Doctor Who fan (so many french fans, it's weird... Smiley ), I can't wait to try it!

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

Thanks  Wink

I've been also revising all the dialogs, the french translation helped to see some flaws etc.
Here's a new example with a recent episodes of Doctor Who like Kill The Moon (7x08).
Here's also the updated tardis interior.

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 01:57:41 AM »

French translation, new scene, new UI, improved dialogs, password chapter system, more interactions, mini games revisions, helps, everything has been updated (apart from music, only for next version), enjoy !

bitserum
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »

Blimey, this is awesome in every way. I'm really longing for Rose and Donna Noble so I have to follow this.
Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »

Last version is coming, with a few more scenes added.
To get the best finished game possible, I'm now looking for musicians that could help re-creating and adding new tracks for the game, based on the recently released soundtrack of the 50th anniversary. The actual ones are good but pretty rough, and the game shall stand off more.

The objectives :
-16 bits-ish/retro soundtrack to fit more with the design of the game.
-Approximately ten tracks of 01:30 (original tracks of the OST choosen to be confirmed)
-Approximately two months deadline. The sooner, the better (upgraded quality along time, wip music is great)
-Quality target :

Obviously, this game being a fan-game, you know that it's not about  Hand Money Left

If anyone's interested, please contact me via pm on this website, or newgrounds pm, indieDB pm, whatever you can do  Durr...?.
(also If anyone's interested to help to get the sound design in a more retro look, I welcome you too  Toast Right)

(this post will also be featured in the collaboration topic of course, It won't be a problem to let it there too I think)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:54:58 AM by Immudelki » Logged

DwarvenArtisan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 01:49:48 AM »

Unfortunatelly, I don't know Doctor Who  Concerned but it seems I have to now. And then I'll come back here and enjoy this even more! Great work!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »

When will there be any teaser-trailer video by any chance? Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic