Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:14:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookNever Opened [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Never Opened [Finished]  (Read 20531 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »

Interesting effort Terry, though things moved a bit too fast. Still, pretty fun.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »

I couldn't get used to the aiming system, I'm afraid. Turning was so quick that doing so would essentially just make you face a random direction.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »

Ah, that's a shame. Sad

I see you're commenting on all the entries to the contest! Good on you! Beer!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »

I had a little trouble with the aiming too.  I know you were probably going for something a little more unique than mouse-aim but honestly I think I would have preferred that.  Though the auto-aim powerups do help out a lot, and the AI for the aiming is pretty accurate.

I got to the boss once but I didn't actually get to see it because a single, lowly green slime killed me before the boss came onto the screen :D.  I'll keep at it though.

Overall I think it's pretty smooth and responsive, and I like the colorful sprites.  Good job Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:31 AM »

Hey, thanks Smiley Sorry you didn't get on with the aiming system though - I'd change it but the whole point of the game originally was to try that out - without it's just a plain auld arena shooter... Sad

Hey Pishtaco! Can you read this? Grin
http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/akce/arkada/never-opened/

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 06:02:02 AM »

Ah, only just got to play this game, and unfortunately it doesn't get on with my dual-monitor setup at work. It appears on the second screen, in a quarter of the screen, and is very very dark! ;_;

I'll try again on my laptop at home, don't worry.

twitter: @docky
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 07:31:41 AM »

Hey, thanks Smiley Sorry you didn't get on with the aiming system though - I'd change it but the whole point of the game originally was to try that out - without it's just a plain auld arena shooter... Sad

Hey Pishtaco! Can you read this? Grin
http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/akce/arkada/never-opened/

Hey Terry, I def don't red Czech, but maybe you can get something out of this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&u=http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/akce/arkada/never-opened/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/akce/arkada/never-opened/%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DD6b
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »

I had trouble making sense of this. But here goes:

Terry Cavanagh adds another extremely challenging plaything to the gaming cupboard (anyone with fresh memories of his earlier "Self Destruct" will immediately know what I mean). While he cheerfully made "Self Destruct" for the Procedural Generation competition, the assignment for the latest competition on the TIGSource site is a bit different. Namely it's based on H. P. Lovecraft, or more precisely on his Commonplace Book, in which Lovecraft recorded a huge variety of ideas, observations, and bits of free association. Many of them are brilliant, more of them are crazy, but then he wouldn't be the father of the Cthulhu mythos if he had "normal" ideas.

16 The walking dead — seemingly alive, but —.
48 Cities wiped out by supernatural wrath.
145 Horrible boarding house — closed door never opened.

These are the sentences which Terry chose. If that went over your head and you don't know what to expect from Never Opened, I've got a simple answer for you: shoot them up! Instead of a spaceship (Self Destruct) you're in control of a slippery little fellow with a pistol, thanks to which he's able to survive against relentless hordes of the living dead (in a range of colours) and flying demons. So it's classic stuff: take cover behind obstacles, recharge ammunition, and collect bonuses in the form of health, ammo or a surprise effect (??). Not that this isn't enough, but it occurs to me that in one respect Cavanagh has let himself be influenced too much by Lovecraft. By which I mean this: there are two possible endings awaiting the main character, he can either die (which usually happens) or he can survive and go insane... and in the end also die. Here I'm talking again about the hardcore-ness that I mentioned above, and the steady nerves which you need to stay sane.

On the visual side, you can't criticize the colourful sprites; I've always spoken highly of the music in Terry's games, and that won't be different today. Still, what could be more relaxing, than jumping, running and shooting to the rythm of electronic music... so maybe it would be the same if the difficulty of the game were reduced? But that's the way it goes...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:21:32 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

increpare
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »

Terry, I was playing the LD entry Highway To Hell, by Lorax, last night, and it made me positively yearn for a control system like the one you have in your game.  I think this was to a large extent due to the control system in it.  Interesting, though...
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »

Having this game as homework finally got me around to trying it, and I love it. The aiming sytem feels natural and works really well; I feel like there are many strategies I could be using, about when and how to fire and when to move around; and the music and the Yucca mountain warning sign are great. I've been playing all evening.

Issues: the guy is a bit slippery - I like the high speed, but he seems to accelerate too fast when I just tap the keys; it could do with more of a hud, as I never have the time to look at the bottom of the screen; and I couldn't tell you what half the powerups do.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:02 AM »

Ah, only just got to play this game, and unfortunately it doesn't get on with my dual-monitor setup at work. It appears on the second screen, in a quarter of the screen, and is very very dark! ;_;

I'll try again on my laptop at home, don't worry.

You're the third person to report something like that happening Sad That sorta thing really puts me off using game maker for anything in the future...

Hey Terry, I def don't red Czech, but maybe you can get something out of this: [google translate]

Cheers for that; didn't know google translated czech Smiley

Terry, I was playing the LD entry Highway To Hell, by Lorax, last night, and it made me positively yearn for a control system like the one you have in your game.  I think this was to a large extent due to the control system in it.  Interesting, though...

Heh, funnily enough I actually thought that myself playing it. It makes me want to try implementing the whole back-away-to-aim thing in a proper 3D shooter - I've a feeling it could work really well... Somewhere down the line maybe; I'm done with shooters for the moment...

I had trouble making sense of this. But here goes:

Thanks so much for going to that trouble! Kiss

I'm surprised he thinks it's so "hardcore", heh. Interestingly enough: it actually only takes about 3 minutes or so to beat the entire game, and you can do it without taking any damage (which I can do pretty much every time I play it)... which makes me think that the difficulty is just fine the way it is Tongue But maybe I'm wrong...

Having this game as homework finally got me around to trying it, and I love it. The aiming sytem feels natural and works really well; I feel like there are many strategies I could be using, about when and how to fire and when to move around; and the music and the Yucca mountain warning sign are great. I've been playing all evening.

Yey! Glad you liked it Smiley I really wanted to make better use of the whole "ducking for cover" element of the gateway in the middle but the deadline kinda prevented me from exploring it too deeply Sad

Issues: the guy is a bit slippery - I like the high speed, but he seems to accelerate too fast when I just tap the keys; it could do with more of a hud, as I never have the time to look at the bottom of the screen; and I couldn't tell you what half the powerups do.

Ah, all fair enough - the player just has instant acceleration so you can't really move very precisly; and the hud was kinda just thrown there (really I think there should be some visual indicator on the player to show you how much ammo you've got left). I'll keep them in mind for future projects Smiley

As for the powerups - there probably should have been a screen somewhere explaining what they do, but there are only 4 of them: the blue W recharges your weapon instantly so you don't have to wait for it, the green + gives you an autofire powerup, the red <3 gives you back some health, and the purple S just gives you some score - which was pretty useless as it turns out, since I never got time to implement a highscore table Sad

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic