Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:37:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookFrom Primordial Egg [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: From Primordial Egg [Finished]  (Read 69768 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:05:28 AM »

169 - What hatches from primordial egg.

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/from_primordial_egg.zip

EDIT - Slight updates as of the 29th.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:19:34 PM by Fifth » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »

it's looking pretty good Smiley
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »

Yeah I'm counting on this one, I like  your little engine  Smiley

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »

Go go go!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 12:00:52 AM »

...It's only natural that my FTP should fail at this point.
But it's on Geocities until I can sort that out.

Anyway, it's finished!  Huzzah!

I should probably play-test it now!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:51:50 AM »

I like it! It was a bit slow on first, but rampaging around was entertaining, especially as I got bigger.

-I would either make the dinosaur jump higher, or make all the blocks a bit lower. The blocks at the start of the game are arranged so that the dinosaur can only barely jump up to them, which doesn't look that good.

-The health bar is a bit hard to decipher, I often had trouble knowing exactly how much life I had left.

-You are currently not allowed to jump and bite at the same time, which can be troublesome.

-I loved the enemy AI, and the way the archeologists scramble around for things to throw/hit you with.

-The first two areas were pretty easy, but I couldn't easily beat area three.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:03:02 AM by GeneralValter » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »

Kweh, thanks!

I hadn't really thought about the jump height at the first area, but it makes sense to make it a little more.

I'm sorry that the health meter was too odd/unhelpful.  After my first idea fell through due to technical limitations, I wanted something kind of abstract...  But I guess I kinda blew it.

Sorry, never got around to jump attacks.  Except for jumping on people, you gotta fight on the ground.

The AI is actually really simple, so I was kinda hoping it'd work well enough.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, though.

And the difficulty is tricky... I found a lot of it too easy, and my play-testers both stopped at the third area (where you jump down the hole) but told me to keep the difficulty where it was...  So I wasn't sure whether to make adjustments or not.  I figured people would just retry until they got the hang of things (like backing away as you attacked, or not getting hit in the head by the weapon of the guy you just killed), or just got sick of it...  Do you think it needs adjustment?  Maybe increase the player's health a little, or the amount you get back from eating?

Anyway, thanks!  Glad you liked it!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »

I did get used to the health bar as I played it. Also, I think the easiest way to fix the difficulty would be to give more health from eating. There's usually enough enemies at the bottom of the pit that you lose a significant amount of health, and it's hard to get it back up.

And I liked the evolution progression. It's always fun to see what you'll look like next.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »

Awesome one Fifth! I like how the dino grows, and eating archeologists is always awesome. Evil

Now, for feedback:

- the health indicator is a bit too hard to decipher at first.
- The enemies attack instantly, which can make it a bit hard in later areas especially when they get whips with its long range
- As you walk around killing people it's far too hard not to get hit by weapons thrown from fallen enemies. Make only the weapons they throw at you harm you.

Extra points for dinosaur use.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »

After playing levels one and two I underestimated the difficulty of level 3, even with the advance warning.  Damn.

But wow, this game is awesome  Kiss.  Best one I've played so far in the competition, you're going right to the top of my list.  Chowing down on archaeologists is good fun.  Beer!

As for the difficulty of the third level, I think a fewer enemies and a little more health bonus from eating corpses would be a good idea.  Not too many fewer enemies, just a, well... few.  It would also help performance, as the mob of archaeologists that swarmed me did cause a little slowdown.  Then again, I am on an old computer.

My only real complaint about the game is I thought the music what wholly inappropriate for a rampaging dinosaur.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »

Whoops! In area 4, with the platforms, I grew while I was underneath a platform, and was then trapped beneath it. Maybe you could make the platforms transparent on the bottom so that you can jump up through them? That should fix it.

People with guns will shoot at you from across the map, if they can. You end up taking a lot of damage from things you can't see. Maybe a maximum distance from which enemies can shoot you? I got stuck a lot at... area 6? Anyway, the big long hallway area.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:26:42 AM by GeneralValter » Logged
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

Yeah level 3 is rough. Just a random thought: you could make eating corpses give a lot more health, and bump the damage the enemies do a bit. Might give an interesting dynamic between when to eat and when to fight.

And I'll agree, the instant attcaking enemies is a little annoying.

But these are just nits. Brilliant game!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:30:41 AM »

I'm not done yet!

-Swallowing archeologists whole is fun, but I think it doesn't currently count towards your evolution points like eating does. Then again, I wasn't totally sure.

EDIT: Beat it! Well done, Fifth! Beer!

-The third area and the last area are definitely the hardest parts. They could use some tweaking.

-Maybe less guns, and instead some kind of stronger melee weapon. I would always get gang-banged by the cops from 50 feet away.

-Boss fight? The ending was a bit too sudden.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:37:47 AM by GeneralValter » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »

Whoops! In area 4, with the platforms, I grew while I was underneath a platform, and was then trapped beneath it. Maybe you could make the platforms transparent on the bottom so that you can jump up through them? That should fix it.

People with guns will shoot at you from across the map, if they can. You end up taking a lot of damage from things you can't see. Maybe a maximum distance from which enemies can shoot you? I got stuck a lot at... area 6? Anyway, the big long hallway area.

Whoops, that will definitely need a fix!  I'll get on it.  I hope you didn't lose your play-through?  You can always press F2 to restart.

...And yeah, I should probably lower the gun's range.  And give a better indication that you're being shot.
Incidentally, I've never made it through that last hallway by actually killing everybody there; I can only rush through, jumping to avoid attacks.  It's the last screen anyway, so...

I'm not done yet!

-Swallowing archeologists whole is fun, but I think it doesn't currently count towards your evolution points like eating does. Then again, I wasn't totally sure.

Don't worry, it does.  At least it should.  I hope.

After playing levels one and two I underestimated the difficulty of level 3, even with the advance warning.  Damn.

But wow, this game is awesome  Kiss.  Best one I've played so far in the competition, you're going right to the top of my list.  Chowing down on archaeologists is good fun.  Beer!

As for the difficulty of the third level, I think a fewer enemies and a little more health bonus from eating corpses would be a good idea.  Not too many fewer enemies, just a, well... few.  It would also help performance, as the mob of archaeologists that swarmed me did cause a little slowdown.  Then again, I am on an old computer.

My only real complaint about the game is I thought the music what wholly inappropriate for a rampaging dinosaur.

Heheh, thanks!  I guess upping the health you get from eating seems the best move...  And maybe lowering the number of enemies that can appear at a time (the max is 20 right now, which is a bit high for this engine).

And the music... I was kinda wondering myself if it was appropriate, but I can't make music for the life of me.  I ended up using a music generator call cgMusic, which, while an awesome little program, isn't really tooled for game music.

Awesome one Fifth! I like how the dino grows, and eating archeologists is always awesome. Evil

Now, for feedback:

- the health indicator is a bit too hard to decipher at first.
- The enemies attack instantly, which can make it a bit hard in later areas especially when they get whips with its long range
- As you walk around killing people it's far too hard not to get hit by weapons thrown from fallen enemies. Make only the weapons they throw at you harm you.

Extra points for dinosaur use.

Kweh, thanks!
I figured that the whip was an advantage to the humans once the shorter weapons became obsolete by the dino's longer reach...  Though I can see how the instant attacking could seem cheap.

...And I kinda like the fallen weapons dealing damage.  For some reason.  I could make 'em do half damage if they're not thrown?
Well, at very least, try to take 'em on the back instead of the head.  You lose more health being hit on the head.

...And thanks, everyone!  I was a little concerned about how the game would be received...  But I guess I should stop worrying.

As a side thought, would a "Save and quit" option be a good idea on the "game over" screen, or does the game work better in the "sit down and play" style?
Zaphos
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »

Even though I gave up for now after dying in area 3, this was really awesome  Grin

The upgrades aspect is great.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »

Quite fun! The main character is fun to handle, and the enemies are interesting and have a lot of character. I also like the main character's animation.

It seems like you've got enough of us yammering at you already, but since no one mentioned it I would like to draw your attention to the collision detection. Quite frequently I found myself standing with my feet several meters below the ground, especially when jumping between platforms. Also in the section with the series of ascending platforms (maybe 5?) my head often intersected with the platform above, and prevented me from jumping.

While I like the main character's moves, he's often kind of clunky to maneuver. Sometimes archaeologists would stand right on top of me and attack repeatedly, and I would be unable to damage them without backing up and turning around. It's also often hard to eat dead archaeologists, most notably when they fall into small concavities in the floor.

But don't get me wrong, this is a good little game and I greatly enjoyed playing it. Thanks!
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 05:44:04 AM »

fine little game.  Gentleman
it was fun to watch the dinosaur grow.
"i think one or two humans more and...yay next evolution stage" :-D
i recognized later in the game that stomping is a good tactic...

bodycount 165  Beer!

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »

That was fun, I like the evolution aspect of the game. Smiley Very nice graphics. I think it gets slightly tedious to chew all those corpses, but the fighting is fun. Stomping is an excellent tactic.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 06:49:55 AM »

I think it would be funnier to have "Fin" at the end screen instead of "End". It gives it that fairy tale aesthetic, you know?

Also, I kept forgetting that my dinosaur could kick things, mostly because I don't think kicking does anything. By the time my dinosaur was really huge, kicking wouldn't even hit the enemies.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 06:59:32 AM »

Your dinosaurs grow differently depending on how you kill enemies. You can kill them by kicking (needs you to be at least the second form I think) and he'll grow differently than if you jsut eat them. I think stomping also affects this.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic