Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:47:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSchool project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: School project  (Read 4811 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »

Didn't really know where to post this, because I'm not working on it anymore so I don't need any feedback, I just wanted to share it with you. Made this as a school project togheter with a couple of friends, but almost everything except from a few sprites is made by me.

It was supposed to be a demonstration, to show on a big screen, not a classical demo. It was also supposed to show a level really late in the game(wich we were going to make Tongue). What I'm trying to say is: IT IS HARD AS HELL. You will not get through the second level. I do it in 30 sec, but that's because I programmed everything and have test runned it a thousand times. Post me a screenshot from the third area and I'm officially impressed. I think specially the music and the AI turned out good, and therefore I'm putting it up here.

Ctrls:
A, D: RUN
W: JUMP
S: RESPAWN
MOUSE1: FIRE(Hold to reload)
MOUSE2: FLY(Start flying exactly when jumping to get high. You will fly towards the aim.)

About the game

It's about a world witch should have been destroyed, it's natural lifespan has run out, but a god is keeping it alive because he has falled in love with one of its creatures. The world keeps on existing, but is falling further and further into stagnation. You play as Kem, the last one of a species that went extinct thousand of years ago, and since you are still full of life energy, as the creatures were back then, many people want to get to you. And then there's plenty more but the story is just too good to be given away like that Wink

Hope you like it.
http://www.savefile.com/files/1906772
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:36:01 AM by JLJac » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »

Come on, can't you put a description, a screenshot, something? You know you can do it.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 12:06:02 AM »

Yeah, sorry. Main post edited Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:50:19 AM by JLJac » Logged
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »

my god, it was so hard just to get over the first ledge. graphics are cool, but the controls are a bit hard to use.

good shit, though  Smiley

pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »

Wow I like the look of this game in every way, but you're right it's hard as hell. The controls do feel a little awkward, maybe if you changed the mouse so that it was free to roam about the screen, that might feel a little more natural.

EDIT: So with great difficulty and an hours work I managed to make it past the howling robotic grindy-shooty things. Fun stuff, but I still stand by the fact that the controls are a little unintuitive, not too bad but only moving the mouse left and right  just feels a little wrong.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:15:53 PM by pnx » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

Yeah, this game just wants an analog stick instead of a mouse. I quite liked the aesthetic, though, pretty nice stuff. The writing is also pretty good.

There's a bit of a problem reading the level layout and identifying the enemies; everything blends together, and that might become a problem in the future if things get too fast-paced. Especially with the mouse aim.

But yeah, otherwise, good work on this, it shows plenty of care.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:57:38 AM »

Thanks!

I both agree and disagree on your opinions on the controls. Yes, they are a bit hard to handle, but that is mostly, I think, because you aren't used to them, since they are present in no other games. Since I can surely say that I am best in the world at this game, I know that there are some moves you can only accomplish with those controls. They have some benefits.

The thing with locking the aim to a certain radius from the character is that where ever you are on the screen, the aiming will behave the same. If the mouse was free-roaming, you could get stuck in situations where you are too close to one side of the screen to aim that direction, and the time it would take to turn the aim would depend on where the character is and how far from him the cursor is. Now the aiming and movement is totally independent of where the character is, even if he is off-screen you move as usual. This would not be a problem if you was only shooting, in fact I'm making a game where you aim like this right now, but with the flying it would get more problematic if you couldn't fly in a certain direction because the player was too far to that side of the screen.

I also think that if you make a full game, like we intended to do, you could introduce the controls slowly to the player, allowing him/her to getting used to them. You don't totally disagree, do you?  Wink
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »

I only got as far as the first few enemies, but what I saw was great. Given easier levels to start on, I think that the controls wouldn't be a problem at all. Once you know how they work, it ought to be just a matter of practice.

This is not entirely unlike what I have planned for another game, and it's good to see that at least this aspect of the controls with work nicely.

It also works with Wine, which is nice.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:57:45 PM by Gold Cray » Logged
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »

That is wonderful, catchy music, pretty funny dialogs, and most of all the flying control shows me how it feels to be an insect. And I can tell it feels great to be an insect.

The graphical design seems like a fusion of MDK2 and Zelda, maybe that was intentional?

IT IS HARD AS HELL.

Is "hard" an understatement? It felt more like finding the truth about immortality. The AI is good, but not for player's health. I really like the difficulty of flying by the obstacles still.

Post me a screenshot from the third area and I'm officially impressed.

(Feels impressive, officially even.)

Then I got to say to the enemy, "You have kinda a lady haircut" Grin :D
Seriously, your dialog is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:16:40 PM by Dim_Yimma_H » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:52 AM »

Well thank you Grin

Officially impressed Shocked

Now that you say it I can see that it has a bit of a resemblance to MDK, but I think it looks more like the first one than the second. Has something to do with the low resolution on the textures and the color shemes I guess. I had to keep the scrolling images as small as possible, otherwise it would run way to slowly. Therefore they are really low-res and have just a few colors. Maybe the MDK-guys were fighting the same issue... What's zelda about it?

Glad you took some time to master the controls, they're pretty fun when you know them, right?

And I'm glad you enjoyed the dialouge, we worked quite a lot on that.

Gold Cray: I'm looking forward to see whatever you are working on!
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

What's zelda about it?

The player character reminds me about Link, especially with its pretty cool facial expressions, and it also reminds about those Zora people in Zelda. That hairstyle looks like Link's, partly because of the color, but the elf ears emphasize that, I think.

I realize the player character is a kind of fairy, but its face and skin reminds me about the Zora in Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

That's not much, but it was enough to put me in a pretty good Zelda mood Smiley

Glad you took some time to master the controls, they're pretty fun when you know them, right?

Yeah, I like that kind of controls, which give a sense of analog control (the ability to get smooth velocities in different directions). I struggled before realizing one detail, and I don't want to spoil the mystery, so I quietly wonder if the way (you know Wink) to get a higher fly velocity is secret?

At some points, the length of a jump/flight felt a bit unforgiving at the times I didn't aim precisely from the beginning. But so far I felt that the control was always fair, because it was always possible to try again and aim the flight better, to reach the intended platform. So overall I think it was nice.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic