Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:06:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsTutorial: Selling Shareware Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Selling Shareware Games  (Read 6491 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »

The story behind this post is this: on the GMC (game maker community) there's a distribution forum which is flooded with 14 year old kids writing "guides" to make money with your games despite never having done it and despite the advice obviously being crazy. Like selling games to kids who trick or treat at your door, or putting a demo on a CD and leaving it in places people might discover, really crazy stuff. So in response I wrote a "real" guide to selling games with lots of exclamation marks and emoticons and stuff as a joke, except that the guide actually is how people (like myself) sell shareware games. Some of the people there asked for an elaboration (since my post was more of a joke than a real tutorial), so I wrote one. I thought I'd also post it here just in case there's anyone who doesn't quite know how selling games as shareware works and would like to learn.

Anyway, here's the tutorial: http://studioeres.com/games/content/tutorial-how-sell-games-shareware

genericuser
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »

...like selling games to kids who trick or treat at your door, or putting a demo on a CD and leaving it in places people might discover, really crazy stuff...

WTF

You're right, that IS crazy stuff. The only thing crazier than that would be something like this.

On-topic: That was a pretty good tutorial. I don't really have much to say about it, though, since I haven't got any games to sell, but I hope that someone will find that guide useful. It's well written, and indepth enough.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:06:32 AM »

selling games to kids who trick or treat at your door, or putting a demo on a CD and leaving it in places people might discover

that is so depressingly accurate of GMC behavior

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:27:30 AM »

I'm a bit worried. See, I and friends of mine have done that sort of thing: making games to put on floppy disks, giving them fancy labels and leaving them for people to find. Except not with the aim of getting any money out of it, just as a more interesting means of freeware distribution than the Internet.

Is it still lame in this context?
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »

I'm a bit worried. See, I and friends of mine have done that sort of thing: making games to put on floppy disks, giving them fancy labels and leaving them for people to find. Except not with the aim of getting any money out of it, just as a more interesting means of freeware distribution than the Internet.

Actually I think it's pretty cool Grin
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:32:55 AM »

Excellent article Rinku Beer!
Natso
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

I think it's rather unrelated, really.  I mean, if you get your kicks by putting games onto floppies & putting them wherever, that's cool... sounds like something I'd do when I'm bored ('cept I haven't had any floppies for a long time....)

- Natso

Home is where my power chord is.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »

I think weird ways of handing out freeware games would be kind of cool, if that's what you're doing.

It seems like the problem is more that it's clearly a terrible way of attempting to make money from a product, since it requires a huge time/effort investment to distribute a minimal number of copies that people may not even be getting, and if people are getting them they may not care or want them. It's like the exact opposite of what you want to sell something.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »

I always thought it would be cool to give away indie games for free download, but also to sell like 20 copies of the game all with box and everything done as an artist print.

Natso
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »

Megatokyo (and now Applegeeks too) does this, except that they just do webcomics.  They're selling the chapters in book form, but the entire comic is available to view online as well.

Sort of like releasing a special edition, but on a smaller scale.  I'd like to see examples of this in the indie scene...

- Natso

Home is where my power chord is.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »

When I finished An Untitled Story I made boxart and CD labels and sold a bunch to my friends.

I still have like 10 copies left actually, in storage somewhere, that I'll probably just end up throwing out.

godsavant
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »

When I finished An Untitled Story I made boxart and CD labels and sold a bunch to my friends.

I still have like 10 copies left actually, in storage somewhere, that I'll probably just end up throwing out.

Actually, I think there'd be people here who would definitely buy those off you, autographed w/ a certificate of authenticity. Well, hello there!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »

Or you could ship one to me, for free Tears of Joy

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »

I'd buy one.

unless you would want millionbillion moneys for one.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 01:53:26 AM »

Having just won that fantastic game, I'd much rather buy one off you than let it get thrown out; it would be such a sweet indie souvenir.  I'd even pay the usual commercial game price too, as I haven't hit the point of feeling broke yet (I think I can stave that off for another year; a year and a half at best), and I spent quite a bit of time on that game (and your other ones; damn Jumper!).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic