Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:26:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel Art - Iso Dungeon Tiles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Art - Iso Dungeon Tiles  (Read 4385 times)
RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

I started working on pixel art last week.  Looking for feedback and critiques.  I'm planning on building a suite of textures for a dungeon tileset.

I'm using DawnBringer's 16 color palette.

Thanks,
Ryan

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »

Looking good, especially considering you've only just started pixelling.
One thing i think could be done though is to improve the 'tiling' of the tiles, so make the pattern carry across each one rather than stopping/starting. Did a real quick edit/redo of your floor to show what i mean.

Aside from that though, looking cool, keep up the good work!
RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

Looking good, especially considering you've only just started pixelling.
One thing i think could be done though is to improve the 'tiling' of the tiles, so make the pattern carry across each one rather than stopping/starting. Did a real quick edit/redo of your floor to show what i mean.

Aside from that though, looking cool, keep up the good work!

Thanks Geepit, I appreciate the feedback.  I'll post an update soon.

Update:  Quick comp of new work. Right wall is just a flip of left, it will be a unique tile.  Switched to an 8-bit palette, re-painted
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:57:15 PM by RyanB » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:55 AM »

http://www.spriters-resource.com/playstation/breathoffireiv/
https://www.spriters-resource.com/playstation/breathoffire3/

useful iso asset references
RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »

Not just useful, but amazing.  Thank you!

Update.  Need to fix some edges:

Moving forward, starting to work on new tiles:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:27:37 PM by RyanB » Logged

davemakes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »

It's beautiful work. The thing I'm worried about is that it's so detailed and has such high contrast that it is too busy for a background element. In the mockup with objects in the room, they barely stand out against the texture of the walls. If you think about the relative hierarchy of visual interest and where you want the player's eye to go, the texture of the walls shouldn't be very high on the list. Perhaps something more subtle is in order?

I'm reminded of this post from the Witness blog about rocks. It's obviously very different from the style you're going for, but you might take away something valuable from it. http://the-witness.net/news/2013/09/on-the-rocks/

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »

It's beautiful work. The thing I'm worried about is that it's so detailed and has such high contrast that it is too busy for a background element. In the mockup with objects in the room, they barely stand out against the texture of the walls. If you think about the relative hierarchy of visual interest and where you want the player's eye to go, the texture of the walls shouldn't be very high on the list. Perhaps something more subtle is in order?

I'm reminded of this post from the Witness blog about rocks. It's obviously very different from the style you're going for, but you might take away something valuable from it. http://the-witness.net/news/2013/09/on-the-rocks/

Thanks Dave, its a good point.  I'm trying to keep the colors fairly desaturated so I don't compete with the character, but I probably need to dial down the contrast too.  Instead of deep, dark cracks I can fill them in with a suggestion of built up dirt.  I definitely want the character and the effects to be the focus.

I also plan to add a shadow layer which will help ground the objects in the environments.

Thank you for the link, bookmarked.

Update, first pass based on Dave's advice.  I think I can push the contrast down even more.  Added a quick and dirty shadow under the objects to ground them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:32:38 PM by RyanB » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic