Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:07:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndieDB, Desura platforms
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: IndieDB, Desura platforms  (Read 3981 times)
damir__
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 04:00:16 AM »

Hello, my first post here, but I've been following this community for some time.  Ninja

Looking at the great stuff over at DevLogs and how a lot of you have IndieDB or Desura entries, I was wondering if you'd share some of your experience with these platforms.

At what point in development did you create the IndieDB entry? Is there such a thing as 'too soon'?

Did you do any additional promotion to get people to check out your entry, or did they discover it by themselves?

Do you think it's important to have a downloadable demo up there ASAP?

When you create Desura entry, do you abandon IndieDB entry, or keep updating it?

Do you like Desura as a platform to sell your games? Did you have much success using it?

If you feel like sharing any other particular experience, please go ahead!

Thanks!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:36:18 AM »

As soon as you have some visually appealing materials, screenshots, etc.

I'd even go as far as to advice not to have a downloadable demo, especially before the release.

If you update your game on Desura it's being updated on IndieDB too.

Authorized news appear on their main page, thus giving you free exposure. IMO this is the place where you really can get some exposure without being a known developer and having a big following already.

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:10:46 AM »

I created the indiedb page as soon as we had some good screenshot to show. I'm more interested in the development of the game rather than marketing (which is a bad thing I know but I just can't help it. I don't enjoy business like I enjoy programming) so I haven't done much promotion of my game at all. I just have an indiedb page, a devlog in this forum, a website and a twitter account and rarely update them.
I don't think what I am doing is right thing to do 'cause you have to do the promotion of the game and tell all the people you can about your game so people are kinda "aware" of your game.
Definitely create the indiedb page if you have something to show to other people. It doesn't cost a penny so I don't know why anyone wouldn't. Smiley

MPRart
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »

To post on Desura they want you to be within 6 months of release I believe, but posting on IndieDB or anywhere once you have great visuals is good, the earlier the better.
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

I think whenever you post a new picture or anything on your indieDB page, it will pop up in the recently updated list, so people have more chance to notice your stuff, with every new update you make. I think that's a good reason to start as soon, as your game pass the requirements of an indieDB page. (a couple screenshots, and a video maybe? can't remember exactly)

QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »

I made the mistake of thinking getting on desura
would translate to some sort of wide spread press
coverage and sales. From my experience desura
basically just gives people a place to sell their
game to desuras somewhat limited market.

I don't think it's a bad idea to try to get
your game on desura, but don't expect too much.

If you want to see the type of exposure
getting on desura will get you, check the page views
on the first few pages of new releases.
http://www.desura.com/games
(It can be found by looking at the bottom right of
each game page)

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »

Having your game on IndieDB is nice for marketing purposes but Desura isn't a very popular platform. You'll probably get the same results selling it yourself based on what I have heard, though I haven't tried it.

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

I posted my most recent game on Desura about 2 weeks after it was done because I was spending a lot of time trying to get it on more visible / commercial sites like Big Fish Games, Wild Tangent, Go Games etc.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/pirates-jewels-ii

After that unsuccessful round I started a second round of the indie friendly sites and Desura was generous enough to pick up my title ; so that is when I put the content up.

I may try the opposite approach with an upcoming RPG I am about to start pre-production on but I often wonder if all that time spent updating a IndieDB or Blog or other site really does pay off in the end? 

I think how your game turns out is equally if not much more important probably Smiley

Infernohawke Entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic