Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:07:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Raycaster Rending Examples
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Raycaster Rending Examples  (Read 26091 times)
increpare
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »

Perhaps this could use 3d glasses instead of thickness to convey depth and be used for a first person 2d game.
in flatland, depth was conveyed by shading, I think.  there was a fog of some sort.  (can't check out your example at the moment; the code doesn't seem to work on my mac atm, even though it compiles fine...).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:49:01 PM by increpare » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2008, 06:09:05 AM »

edit: Maybe clicking in a particular 'column' would move the avatar in that direction?
hmm; that's an interesting idea...excepting that turning would still have some use insofar as having stuff on the edge of the screen is annoying (the alternative would be to wrap 540ยบ around, say).

That would probably be confusing, though... How about making it curved and into a ring? I'm not sure how easy that would be to achieve. Though it would defeat the purpose, since eliminating the center space and making it a circle would already equate a top-down fish-eye view. Nevermind.

Zaphos
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2008, 02:04:24 AM »

A ring might still be pretty cool though ...

Also, I realized that despite linking to the fisheye quake stuff, I somehow missed that he also did a panorama quake: http://strlen.com/gfxengine/panquake/
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »

Incredible stuff

Zaphos
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2009, 01:55:30 AM »

I just saw these videos http://www.jenstark.com/animation.html ... and thought of this thread again.  A renderer that looks like that should be possible, and pretty cool potentially -- basically making 'paper' slices of the world at different depths and stacking them.  Thoughts?
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2009, 02:20:42 AM »

Those are fucking amazing Zaphos!  Thanks!!!  Kiss
increpare
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2009, 02:21:06 AM »

I just saw these videos http://www.jenstark.com/animation.html ... and thought of this thread again.  A renderer that looks like that should be possible, and pretty cool potentially -- basically making 'paper' slices of the world at different depths and stacking them.  Thoughts?
seems definitely possible.  Not sure off-hand how it would be best approached...hhmmm... the shadows play a really important part in them.  That said, given the perspective, you could probably do it really nicely with opengl....
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »

I wrote a thing in OpenGL once to deal with rendering pieces of 'paper,' including bordering, texturing and lighting.

It was not particularly fast, though, as it managed soft-shadowing through using a whole bunch of lighting layers.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic