Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:34:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel Art Critique
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Art Critique  (Read 1197 times)
Dizzyman572
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Hey guys, I'm trying to work on my pixel art skills and I would really appreciate any advice you may give on how I could improve this image.

Dizzyman572
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »

In this picture I'm trying to experiment a bit more with shading.

Dizzyman572
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »

Here, I am trying to use anti-aliasing to try and make the mug seem more rounded. In the second image, I added some more shading to the bottom to help increase this effect. I think it looks pretty good, but I'm quite sure that there are plenty of ways this can be done better.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »

Stuff I changed:
- Shape: You can see that on the corners, I used the old 1-1-2-4 pixels to make a rounder shape
- Less colors: You used too many colors. 4 shades is enough for a piece this size, and I made sure they had enough contrast between them, so no colors are too close
- Lighting: Over time you'll get used to imagining what's the shape of the object and how light would realistically hit it and create shadows and highlights. By doing this the shape of the object is more clear
- Removed AA: anti-alias is supposed to hide the jaggies in the lines. What you did just added some kind of fog to the edges. When making "perfect" shapes like these (straight lines and clean curves) AA is hardly needed

sizzlinbetta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:49:18 AM »

+1 and you did an awesome on the changes you made

Stuff I changed:
- Shape: You can see that on the corners, I used the old 1-1-2-4 pixels to make a rounder shape
- Less colors: You used too many colors. 4 shades is enough for a piece this size, and I made sure they had enough contrast between them, so no colors are too close
- Lighting: Over time you'll get used to imagining what's the shape of the object and how light would realistically hit it and create shadows and highlights. By doing this the shape of the object is more clear
- Removed AA: anti-alias is supposed to hide the jaggies in the lines. What you did just added some kind of fog to the edges. When making "perfect" shapes like these (straight lines and clean curves) AA is hardly needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic