Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:34:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogspy, Places
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: py, Places  (Read 29440 times)
hammedhaaret
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2015, 04:22:51 AM »

ah, cool.
thanks for the detailed reply!

we had a few problems with avoiding seems when matte painting the skybox for shelter 2 as well. we got around it by making the skybox into a sky... cylinder.  that way you can paint it flat and the distortion will be minimal. Only reason it worked is that we locked the camera so it can't look up too much. plus we didn't use it for any fancy lighting or anything.

the noise effect is good, I realized it was a wall when i reached it, but a few steps back and it just look like the fog again.
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »

I worked on a emscripten port this week to get places run in browser. It's mostly completed now, although audio is still missing and performance could be better (less than 10% of what I get with native build).

You can check out Place 3 here http://jlv.sdf.org/places/place3

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »

Nice to see people embracing tech like Emscripten/WebGL/etc to run in the browser, really lowers barrier to entry.  And it's awesome that your full interactive experience is roughly the same size as the silly .WebM video in my website header!

BTW, performance is just fine here in Chrome with low end Intel HD3000 integrated graphics Wink

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »

Hehe, well it started out as a 130MB chunk of javascript code which initially had me a little worried Grin Luckily it quickly reduced from there...

Lowering the barrier of entry was exactly the thinking behind this port. Especially fitting for lightweight experiences like places.

That's a very nice looking website btw Smiley

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »

Doing some experiments with colors and how to go about making a very saturated scene... getting some practice painting skyboxes as well.

(Click for larger)

I also added shadow mapping support for less foggy scenes. Initially I was against it and felt that it would look out of place in a painterly scene but having tried and tweaked it now I must say that I'm very happy with the results.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2015, 12:45:09 PM »

These colours are phenomenal, I want to see more yellows and oranges in games! I cannot seem to play the web port. I get past the loading screen but I can only see a slightly blurry static image. I am using safari which may not help.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:59:50 PM by JctWood » Logged

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2015, 06:23:50 AM »

Ah, yes... I don't think I ever tested it on safari. I found the cause for that particular issue but there seems to be a bunch of other problems as well that will take some more debugging time. Anyway, thanks for letting me know! Smiley 

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »

No problem!

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »

Just bundled up Place 4! Get it here http://jlv.sdf.org/places/Place4-win32.zip

Pressing 'r' now regenerates the world so that it's slightly different each time.

I'd like to start moving towards more procedural world gen again. Something in line with the plant growing experiments I was doing last autumn (page or two back). But for place 4 here, I'm just splatting some predefined brushes (groups of plants) over the map and then rearranging them around a bit.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

Very excited to see more procedural systems.

Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »

Wow. all I can say is wow. So simple, yet really atmospheric!
I'd play this often and long. The look really sells it for me.

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
Deathcraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »

Great work with colors, I've checked out Place 3 and had a very immersive exeperience just walking around. Keep it up, hope this'll be a location for a game.

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2015, 05:27:41 AM »

Hey everyone. Although I haven't been active here, I've been working on Place 5 for a while now.

Here are some screenshots of work in progress particle and weather improvements.

Engine wise there's also other improvements such as gamma correctness, multisample anti-aliasing, collision with trees and plants etc.

I've also streamlined my workflow by adding a simple editor that allows me to place trees and plants in realtime while in the scene. Although I talked about wanting to do more procedural stuff in the last post, Place 5 is going to be a hand crafted scene.

The biggest remaining hurdle right now are the textures. I have a pretty good idea in my head what I'd like the scene to look like but it's taking some trial and error type experimenting to how to achieve that.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2015, 06:39:20 AM »

Those weather effects are crazy gorgeous
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »

Thanks, Pineapple Smiley

Continuing work on Place 5. I was initially aiming to release it before christmas but time seems to be running short and there's a bunch of things still to be done.

This week I implemented moving clouds to make the sky more lively. I was pretty pleased with how simple and yet reasonable good looking the solution ended up being, as it's just a squashed skydome with a scrolling texture over it. It's alphaed out towards the horizon so that the clouds fade away instead of abruptly vanishing. Works well with the kind of fogged skybox i'm using as the lack of depth is not really apparent there. Some tall cumulus type clouds on a clear day skybox would probably look very weird though.

I sped up the cloud movement for these gifs, so it looks a little odd...

I've also been painting more textures, below are some spruces I added today.

edit: tweaked image links
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:21:40 AM by ktch » Logged

Kasperelo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »

Beautiful!
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »

This game looks wonderful, the colors and weather give it a lot of atmosphere.

nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »

Loving each and every one of these... using them as soothing email backgrounds.

Have you considered putting them all up on Itch? It's... just a lovely platform for lovely games such as this Smiley

8-Bit Personality, 16-Bit Looks
http://nicknicknicknick.net
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »

Oh, man, it's so pretty.. Addicted

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »

Thanks everyone!

@newton64: Very cool! I do have my little platformer game on Itch (or atleast had, not sure if it still works...). I might put Places there as well when I finish Place 5.

Progress on P5 is slow but steady, a couple of hours here and there. The second screenshot below has a flashlight I quckly hacked in just now to see how that might look. Slightly larger versions are on my tumblr.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic