Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411960 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58479 Members - Latest Member: iota

June 13, 2024, 07:00:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting8eroidz [Windows/HTML5]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 8eroidz [Windows/HTML5]  (Read 896 times)
Hamrath
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »

Summary
8eroidz is a small 8bit style Asteroids clone. I started it 3 weeks ago and finished it just today. It has nothing special so far.

Controls
Move ship with cursor keys, shoot with [X] and teleport with [C] (might be extremely dangerous!)

Screenshots

Gameplay video (more recent version)

Download
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14547328/8eroidz.exe (Windows)

Play online
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14547328/8teroidz/index.html

Feedback
Any feedback is welcome. Found any bugs? Is it missing something (remember, it's just an Asteroids clone, no additional features yet)?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:37:05 PM by Hamrath » Logged
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Nice little game! I really like the music and the overall game, it plays smoothly and seems to work well. The aliens attacking the players from time to time are very cool!

A few remarks though:
- I find that the ship is decelerating way too fast: when I stop pushing the "up" key, it stops almost immediately, which feels strange to me (it doesn't makes me feel I'm in space, but rather on a road or something like that)
- There is no firing sound, is it normal?

I've only tried the HTML5 version an it works nice (on FF).
What tool did you use to create this game?

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
Hamrath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:25 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

I was wondering about the speed, too. I might change really change that.

I only tested the sound on Chrome, there it works perfectly. But I just tested it on FF and it doesn't even play music, just the explosions. Have to look into it.

I used GameMaker Studio. I did several games in 2013, this is actually the first I released.

[Edit]: The sound seems to be a problem with GM:S. Several people are talking about this on the forums.
But while debugging this I also moved the game window to the center of the browser.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:01:56 PM by Hamrath » Logged
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »

It's been absolutely ages since I played Asteroids so I can't comment in terms of original features or faithfulness to the original.

-I agree that the ship needs more inertia to feel like I'm in space, man.
-Cool parallax effect you've got with the stars
-I like very much that the aliens are all different visually, and they all look cool. Though this somehow makes it disapointing that they behave identically. What about different enemies moving and attacking in different ways? Then you could give more or less points depending on how difficult that enemy is to defeat.
-In the above case you could display the points value of each enemy upon their death, so that I know which ones are worth the risk of gunning for.
-It felt totally unfair that enemy bullets can wrap around space and kick your ass, up your ass.
-The window is very small and that makes the action, not to mention your cool pixel work, a little hard to see. I could understand if it was made for the mobile web, but for desktop users you might think about scaling up or providing options to resize the window.

Nice!

Hamrath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

It's been absolutely ages since I played Asteroids so I can't comment in terms of original features or faithfulness to the original.

To be honest it's not 100% accurate.

-I agree that the ship needs more inertia to feel like I'm in space, man.

Yeah, I'm working on that. I think I already made it better, but I have to polish it a bit more

-Cool parallax effect you've got with the stars

Haha, thanks! I read so many tutorials on how to do this and then I tried it myself and was quite pleased with the result.

-I like very much that the aliens are all different visually, and they all look cool. Though this somehow makes it disapointing that they behave identically. What about different enemies moving and attacking in different ways? Then you could give more or less points depending on how difficult that enemy is to defeat.

That's a good point! I'll consider it.

-In the above case you could display the points value of each enemy upon their death, so that I know which ones are worth the risk of gunning for.

Already implemented in current version. A friend of mine had the same idea and it makes the game more arcade-ish. Smiley

-It felt totally unfair that enemy bullets can wrap around space and kick your ass, up your ass.

Yeah, I should remove this. I don't feel very happy with it either.

-The window is very small and that makes the action, not to mention your cool pixel work, a little hard to see. I could understand if it was made for the mobile web, but for desktop users you might think about scaling up or providing options to resize the window.

The art is not done by me. It's from Oryx, who probably is best known for his Lo-Fi dungeon graphic set. He's a regular on this forum, also. Check out his site: http://oryxdesignlab.com/.

About the window size: It originally was 480x320, but it's also fixed in the current version. Now it's 640x400 and it's much easier to play this way.

I updated the first post with the link to a more recent gameplay video.

Thanks again for the nice tips and sorry for the late answer.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic