Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:36:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTell us about your 15 minutes of fame
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your 15 minutes of fame  (Read 25317 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »

Share on this thread an event whereupon you became famous as an indie game developer, or at least more known than before.

Having OmniLudiCon cited by Kayin and dessgeega was good for about ten thousand hits and a short stint of SA fame.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »

I fondly recall that one time where I posted in a thread about 15 minutes of fame, and some people read my post
Ah~ good times~
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:39:51 AM »

. We were called to talk a bit about making games and my Nikwi game was shown briefly.

Although it was ~7 mins. They owe me 8 minutes.

~bs~
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »

My 15 minutes? Being in this photo.

I grew up in a pissant town so far from anywhere you could fit Eastern Europe between my house and the nearest McDonalds. Fame and fiction are the same thing to me, so being in the same room as a dozen "name" developers was fucking mindblowing.

ROM CHECK FAIL got a little bit of media love, but that was its 15 minutes not mine.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:52:23 AM »

fame is kind of relative. what counts as fame? 1000 people knowing about you? 10,000? it's hard to really judge. I'd say the closest for me are:

- my preview of kyntt stories was mentioned in kotaku once, and my LJ was quoted

- Patrick Dugan mentioned something I wrote about miyamoto to miyamoto

- I got on portal of evil once

- apparently greg costik mentioned my game at some convention, and jason rohrer's son said 'I played that game' when it was shown (I had given him a free copy).

- was guest editor on tigsource for a week

besides that, I don't know

increpare
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:28:21 AM »

- apparently greg costik mentioned my game at some convention, and jason rohrer's son said 'I played that game' when it was shown (I had given him a free copy).
:D
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »

Whenever Derek reviews my games on the frontpage Kiss

I remember when I released the original Jumper at the Game Maker Community.  There was a huge reaction (both positive and negative).  I had released games there before, but no one seemed to notice until Jumper.  It was nuts.  My PM box was full of everything from collab offers to death threats (really).

When I really broke into the broader Indie scene, though, was when I released An Untitled Story.  JayisGames reviewing An Untitled Story was a proud moment for me.  That review provided me with the best press quote of all time:

Quote from: JayisGames
An Untitled Story is a chilled-out hardcore wonderland of action discovery, plus an unidentifiable je ne sais quoi that just makes you want to drink it down in one gulp and then spit out a rainbow.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:47:14 AM by YMM » Logged

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »

Quote from: JayisGames
An Untitled Story is a chilled-out hardcore wonderland of action discovery, plus an unidentifiable je ne sais quoi that just makes you want to drink it down in one gulp and then spit out a rainbow.
Best

Review

EVER!

You did win 3rd in that YoYo contest too, which must count for something (yet be much less awesome than that review).

Well, in my case, no fame yet, but I figure at some point something I do will end up having people interested in it.  Be it in architecture or games, I'll be doing things fairly different than most, so naturally someone will probably care.  Really not a big deal for me, as I do both those things out of love and interest, not for popularity or cash (though I suppose I'll be making my living in architecture, so whether I care about the cash or not I'll be getting most of it there).
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

You did win 3rd in that YoYo contest too, which must count for something (yet be much less awesome than that review).

The money was awesome because I'm so poor lately ( Cry ), but they really weren't my target audience at all and I don't really respect their opinion all that much.  It felt good that they liked the game, but it felt way better when one of my game developer friends said they liked it.

Well, in my case, no fame yet, but I figure at some point something I do will end up having people interested in it.  Be it in architecture or games, I'll be doing things fairly different than most, so naturally someone will probably care.  Really not a big deal for me, as I do both those things out of love and interest, not for popularity or cash (though I suppose I'll be making my living in architecture, so whether I care about the cash or not I'll be getting most of it there).

I agree that if you truly do what comes naturally and create something honest, someone will appreciate it.  That's actually one of my favorite parts about being an artist: whenever I have "writer's block" or am worried about whether people will like my stuff, I just have to relax and do what feels right.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »

Um, I got second place in our Text the Halls compo. That earned me a mention in the front page. Tongue
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »

A game of mine was once mentioned on PIGscene.
That was sooooooo cool.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »

When Gang Garrison started getting noticed I was super excited. We got a post on RPS and on Kotaku, not to mention a tiny writeup in PC Gamer. Its not like anyone actually noticed me, but it was a cool experience to watch a game I helped to make paraded around the game journalism circuit.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:36:41 PM by mrfredman » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »

The money was awesome because I'm so poor lately ( Cry ), but they really weren't my target audience at all and I don't really respect their opinion all that much.  It felt good that they liked the game, but it felt way better when one of my game developer friends said they liked it.
Couldn't agree more.  I think we're all a little disappointed in YoYo at the moment, what with their casual flash portal thing.  I was quite surprised to see jumper there as well actually; not at all what I'd expected given some of the suggested guidelines for the contest and the general YoYo pro-casual thing.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »

Can't say I've really had 15 minutes Tongue Some of my games were mentioned on Bytejacker though, so that was kinda cool.

Oh, and I'm briefly mentioned in this month's PC Gamer :D

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 05:29:42 PM »

OK, not the right thread to complain, but why do a lot of you guys suddenly have the SAME ADVERGAMES AVATAR!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's both confusing and annoying (after the initial laugh).  So yeah, please change that guys, it totally kills readability/who said what.
increpare
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »

It's both confusing and annoying (after the initial laugh).  So yeah, please change that guys, it totally kills readability/who said what.
hurrah for the ability to turn off avatars/sigs  Beer!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:24 AM »

Can't say I've really had 15 minutes Tongue Some of my games were mentioned on Bytejacker though, so that was kinda cool.

Oh, and I'm briefly mentioned in this month's PC Gamer :D

Swedish Super Play too, I believe. Gentleman

I guess the closest I had was when my name was on the frontpage for scanning/translating Petri's interview.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 05:58:22 AM »

http://n.nfshost.com/ completely surprised me with it's temporary popularity, especially as it was merely a bored afternoons work.

However that doesn't nearly measure up to the time, in my youth, that I beat Patrick Moore at 3d Noughts and Crosses (yes, really!).  Proudest moment of my life Tears of Joy

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »

I got my roguelikes at joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/10/zelda-metroid-castlevania-roguelikes/); while one people said "If Zapata wants to make these things, well, whatever floats your boat, but I find the idea of creating or even playing these things to be a monumental waste of time", another one confessed "Roguelikes make my balls empty.".

I also appeared once on the prestigious TIGSource website ( http://tigsource.com/articles/2007/08/20/castlevaniarl )

One thread in the "something awful" forums once kicked down my website bandwidth (I almost get fired by this by the way, I was grabbing webspace from a corporate shared hosting account)

I was also famous one time I picked a bus and a unknown guy told me: "Are you the guy developing CastlevaniaRL?"

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »

Swedish Super Play too, I believe. Gentleman

Really? Awesome :D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic