Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:54:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRekker (WIP TITLE)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rekker (WIP TITLE)  (Read 2432 times)
ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:04:14 AM »

Rekker will be a fantasy side-scrolling action RPG with maybe a dash of a sci-fi theme. Hopefully it stays that way. This will be my first attempt at making a full game by myself. I'm an artist so programming something that doesn't break will be considered a miraculous achievement.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way...

Here's my current main character design:

For the battle system I'm taking a lot of inspiration from games like Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Dragon's crown, the Diablo and Torchlight series, and The Secret of Mana (USA). I'm keeping things simple tho. There will not be much crazy combos. The main character has only one arm so his fighting style consists of mostly pushing his enemies away / stunning them with his large sword-like bayonet and then shooting them with his gun or just shooting them with his gun in their face. There will be an attack button but I also want to implement a quick action menu that pauses the game when brought up. Here you would be able to choose actions like fire the gun, use items, or cast certain magic. Here is a mockup (ignore the character in the mockups, he is a very old design):

And here's something that I put together to start as my basis for my prototype:

I plan to have a very, very, oh so very terrible prototype of the battle system by the end of January. But I will update as much as possible.

Any helpful hints or suggestions/feedback will be greatly appreciated.   

ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »

I'm rethinking my overall style of the game. Basically I'm planning to simplify everything. Make it more graphic versus heavily textured/painterly. Think sort of like the in-game character models from Final fantasy 7, but with a much higher poly count.

Next I will make an environment in this style to see if it will work out or not. 

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »

I like the animations  ! and the game certainly looks interesting. Looking forward to more  updates.  I know the images are early mockups, but the environment could perhaps do with a little bit of tweaking ?

Have you worked out a story for the game ? or an elaboration of the Game world ?

Philipp_S
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:54:16 AM »

I'm a huge fan of flat shaded characters. I look forward to what an environment in that style will look like!
ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »

Philipp_S: Thanks!

oleomingus: I have a basic story written out with a ton of notes on how the game world works, but no actual written dialogue/ narration yet. I agree the environment needs a lot of tweaking, but I plan to do that more once I go into the production cycle. Right now I'm still testing out the overall style of the game.

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »

Really digging the new style of the rendered character, and I also like the science-fantasy twist you have going. Keeping my eyes on this one!

ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »

A preview of the new stylized environment I'm working on for my prototype. Also I thought I might as well pop in a gun firing animation. I definitely need to work on these animations but for now I'll be using them for the prototype. Hopefully next update I'll have actual gameplay instead of just art!

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »

That weapon design is pretty cool.
Kole
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

Looks very nice; great work so far.

http://www.KoleAudioSolutions.com
'Emotionally Evocative Music & Visceral Sound Effects'
ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »

I wanted to put up some new gameplay shots by the end of this month, but looks like I'm not going to make that deadline. Sad so instead here's some new art and some first pass animations for an enemy in my prototype.

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »

With shifting the game over to 3D assets do you plan to keep 2.5D arcade corridor style gameplay? Not particular recommendation here,  more just curious as 3D assets allow alot more wiggle room when it comes to camera and animation.

ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »

With shifting the game over to 3D assets do you plan to keep 2.5D arcade corridor style gameplay? Not particular recommendation here,  more just curious as 3D assets allow alot more wiggle room when it comes to camera and animation.

I plan to keep the 2.5D gameplay and definitely agree there's more wiggle room with 3D assets in those situations (why I'm opting to do everything in 3D). I want to have the backgrounds be totally 3D though. I'll be creating and animating all the base characters in 3D too, but I'm planning to have them as 2D assets as pre-rendered sprites with some additional touchups.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:52 AM »

The new animations look very nice.  I am excited to see then in conjunction with the background.  Blink

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic