Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:27:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArms of Telos - Spidermechs, zero gravity, grapple hooks (video)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Arms of Telos - Spidermechs, zero gravity, grapple hooks (video)  (Read 13549 times)
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »

Really love the style and look, I am trying to explore related territory with my project Pollen (though I am quite new to game dev, your project is quite a bit more accomplished).  This has a really impressive style and feel from what I can see, definitely interested in seeing where this goes. I am also a huge Tachikoma and Ghost in the Shell fan so this is basically just instant win. Coffee

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »

New video showing off the first weapon (and the first gameplay footage with players actually shooting each other):

Took me longer to expected to get the video made because I got hooked up with a nice game server and spent some time getting a dedicated server build ready and cleaning up the UX a bit so I could do a proper online playtest instead of another demonstration with only 2 players on LAN. 

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »

playing with a new explosion effect http://instagram.com/p/oCDwuhHkgh/

will be used with the second weapon

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »

Two new dev vids since my last post here!

I've not done a good job with this thread -- going to try and do better moving forward.  If you guys have any suggestions on what'd make a better devlog for you, let me know.  I think most of my updates have been geared more toward players and that can be boring for other devs. 

Next thing on my todo list is to implement teams and the main game mode's objectives, but I think I'll also be working on some small art things that might be interesting to you. 

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »

That looks awesome  Addicted

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »

Implemented teams yesterday.  Team colors can be changed clientside to help those with color blindness or those who just don't like the defaults.  I also have it so your enemies are always red (or whatever your enemy color is) and your teammates are always the friendly color -- Tribes does this and I always liked the consistency (always shoot red).  

Right now the only thing that changes color to identify team is the headlight/flare shown here in red.  Ideally, the color of the physical mech will be customizable by the player.  

Today I've been fixing some bugs and messing with shaders using Shader Forge.  First I tried to do some work on a psuedo-volumetric shader.  

(notice the light inside the cube on the left)

Looks pretty neat, but doesn't play well when there's no special lights nearby and I also want to do some other stuff so it looks nice with my low poly smoke puffs.  I think I know what I need to do, but I think a Shader Forge bug is in my way.  Eventually I'd like to use it so that certain effects can be reactive to explosion and muzzle flash lighting.  

After that I toyed around with approximating frosted glass using refraction.  It looks ok (at normal distances), but I'll try a proper blur in the future.  I figure refraction (simple UV offset) would be cheaper so I wanted to give it a shot.  

Up close it has some funky patterns.  

Next week I'm going to start implementing the main game mode objectives and a rework of the map to facilitate them, which will probably take a while.  I'll try to do more small art bits during that time as well. 

Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »

oh man, this is so stylish. loving your use of color. and that melee weapon seems like a great idea. definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »

Ok this looks hot.

Not to much of a fan of the co-lours or the low poly modelling style, but the movement makes me really happy.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:09 AM »

Livestreaming some dev at the moment http://twitch.tv/overpoweredgames

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 05:39:35 AM »

Because Telos has both zero g and normal gravity, the flag stand needs to be omnidirectional. This is my first pass -- not 100% sure I'll continue down this direction, but if I do there'll definitely be some refinements for the visuals. I want it to communicate things like flag status and score -- this is the idle animation, but there'll be other states too.

I wrote a shader that lets me easily communicate two related values in one bar. It's a pretty simple UV mask and while the example uses simple solid colors, you could do a lot more with the art and the shader will take care of the blending. This is

where you have your health bar, but there can be an off-color section communicating recoverable health. Telos won't have a shield like halo or regenerating health as a universal mechanic, but some weapons/equipment will utilize this concept of special damage that is recoverable.

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 07:43:05 AM »

I love the colors and the clean visual style. I tend to prefer "heavy" mechs (still waiting for a good new Mechwarrior-like game) but this game looks great so far Smiley

@APantaloni | Currently working on: Exgenesis | Out now: Avoid Sensory Overload | www.48hstudio.com
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:25 AM »

I love the colors and the clean visual style. I tend to prefer "heavy" mechs (still waiting for a good new Mechwarrior-like game) but this game looks great so far Smiley

Thanks!  Yeah, they're big mechs (about two stories tall) but they're not the slow bulky kind.  I figured that instead of going with a human scale like most games, I would have more new territory to explore with a large, atypical, scale for a first person shooter -- things like environment art, weapon design, particle effects, etc.  Seemed like a simple way to stand out from the crowd.  I'm focusing more on gameplay right now but I'm excited to work on the visuals more later so I can better flesh out the scale. 

Also, I elaborated a bit on why I went with a spider mech, for reasons other than scale, in the TIGForum Devlog Showcase: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41740.msg1041455#msg1041455

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »

Trying out Prototype from the Asset Store.  It's a plugin for Unity that provides Hammer-style level creation.  Seeing if this would be useful for level design prototyping -- once the level is functionally working to my liking, I'd go back and remake it in Blender with actual artwork etc. 

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

Some captures from the CTF playtest

Still need to work on some stuff before I make the video explaining Telos' custom CTF variant, but here's some gfys/webms as well Smiley

Some of these are slightly sped up due to being converted from 60fps video into 30fps gifs

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 10:06:04 AM »

woooow, this is so impressive. Great job man!

When do you think you'll be sharing something playable? Would love to get my hands on this.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

woooow, this is so impressive. Great job man!

When do you think you'll be sharing something playable? Would love to get my hands on this.

Thanks!  Going to try and have an early access style release by the end of the year. 

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »

I put in the ability to customize loadout (pick weapons/equipment) and needed to pad out the selection so I started prototyping a simple railgun variant.  The first shot is instant and does some damage, but after a short delay a second shot happens along the same trajectory as the first and does more damage (the inspiration was lightning/thunder).  

The idea is that it's less effective on moving targets (harder to land both shots), gives the victim a bit of time to react, and introduces an interesting mechanic of optionally leading the target to hit them with the more damaging part of the shot (which is more risky than simply pointing directly at them and hitting them with the weaker shot).  

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »

Messing around with a shader for a shield thingy

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »

more (gifs too big, so there's webms): http://overpoweredgames.tumblr.com/post/100335093674/screenshot-saturday-10-18-14-its-been-a-while

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »

Reworking the UI.  I don't consider myself much of a graphic designer so I'm trying to go with a minimal design.  Need to do the loadout screens and the HUD, then I'll go back through and try to refine everything. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic