Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:19:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArms of Telos - Spidermechs, zero gravity, grapple hooks (video)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Arms of Telos - Spidermechs, zero gravity, grapple hooks (video)  (Read 13547 times)
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

Got new loadout menus working today. 

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »

I've been tweaking some stuff based on playtester feedback. One thing I've done is tweak the grapple physics so that you do not lose any speed while swinging in zero gravity -- less realistic, but more fun than gradually slowing down. I also added some zoom zoom lines when going fast -- this enhances the sense of speed a bit and also communicates which direction you're moving, which is helpful in zero g.

Here's a webm showing it off:

http://gfycat.com/FineDangerousFruitbat

If you notice, I let go too early and had to correct my trajectory as I went back indoors, which lost me some speed -- but if you're skilled enough with the grapple, you'll be able to get practically anywhere without any loss.

Here's a few more screenshots from the last playtest:

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »

New vid:

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 04:24:04 AM »

Dang, that grappling hook looks like a ton of fun. Will there be any rope physics? Meaning like will it catch on anything between you and the grappling point?

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 05:52:48 AM »

Dang, that grappling hook looks like a ton of fun. Will there be any rope physics? Meaning like will it catch on anything between you and the grappling point?

Thanks! I did experiment a bit with more realistic rope physics, but decided to keep it simple. My top priority is for it to feel intuitive while using it -- having the rope wrap around things or run into things makes the swing arc much less predictable. Especially when other players are trying to shoot you, you don't really want to keep an eye on the rope to see what it's doing -- once you're swinging, you're concerned with where you're going and when to let go and a predictable arc really helps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:57:58 AM by Justin Pierce » Logged

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »

Hey everyone! Been a while since I've posted -- have had my head down working hard. Here's a few things I've done recently --
I've added the first deployable equipment to the game.

I wanted a universal system for implementing build time for deployables so that I could quickly add more in the future without having to do unique animations for each (can always come back and add those later). That iconosphere will scale to the size of the deployable. The display text shows what's being built and there's a progress bar.

After that I went and tweaked the spinning thing.. thought it looked weird in a cool way so I kept it.

Then I tweaked the look of the deployed Speed Gate itself and added effects for when you do damage and destroy it. Arms of Telos can have very long sight lines and I didn't want it to be too easy to destroy a deployable from across the map, so I have it to where the hitbox only shows up when an enemy is near.

Also,

Reworked the healing equipment, Light of Apollo. The beam used to be rigid -- just shot straight wherever you pointed. Now it it's magnetized. White circle represents the aiming threshold -- the healing beam locks on, but only if the target is within that radius.

Green circle marks the potential target (who would be healed if you clicked) or the current target that is already being healed. When there's multiple teammates within the white circle, it'll pick the one closest to your crosshair.

If the target goes outside the white circle or something blocks your line of sight, the healing beam will disengage and it'll stop healing. If you don't let go, it'll remember your last target and reengage if the target becomes valid again.

There's no limit to how far the beam will travel, but the healing strength is modulated by both the distance and the aiming accuracy. So it'll heal faster if you have better aim. Here's the current falloff curve for distance (using Unity's AnimationCurve) -- as you can see, the healing strength decays fairly quickly so you won't be healing much when very far away. The thickness of the beam modulates based on healing strength, too.

Also, I’ve recently been making an effort to keep my gifs small so I can upload directly to Twitter. I did some tests with Photoshop and GIFBrewery — you can see the results here: http://discourse.armsoftelos.com/t/gif-compression-comparison/306
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:08:26 PM by JP (@JTown_) » Logged

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »

This looks insane... In a good way  Wink

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »

This looks insane... In a good way  Wink

Thanks  Corny Laugh

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »

Working on a time trial race challenge to use at expos -- discussed here: http://discourse.armsoftelos.com/t/showing-arms-of-telos-at-expos-ideas/299/

Basic checkpoint system implemented:

Pointer thing to help direct players to the next checkpoint:

Higher quality webm: http://gfycat.com/SlowIndolentHaddock

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »

Continuing to expand my automated builder Unity extension

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »

Made it so you can view the debug logs in-game, which should be really handy when trying to troubleshoot bugs during online playtests.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 07:25:22 AM »

Experimenting with more relaxed physics model for zero g: http://webmup.com/2cdb3/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:36:42 AM by JP (@JTown_) » Logged

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »

For most people, this might not be something they give much thought — for Tribes and arena FPS players, projectile inheritance can be a big deal. For Arms of Telos, it will be a key component of how a lot of the weapons feel. And I’m a game design nerd so I like talking about this sort of thing.

What is projectile inheritance?

Line up your crosshair, pull the trigger, and hit the target? Not necessarily. In the real world, if you shoot a bullet while you’re moving, the bullet’s velocity will be relative your movement — in other words, the bullet will inherit your velocity. Consequently, you’ll actually miss a stationary target if you were aiming at it when you pulled the trigger while moving to the side. Compare these gifs where we fire at a stationary target while moving laterally:

Here, there is no inheritance. The bullet lags behind the crosshair (at the moment of impact, my crosshair is now to the right of the target) — instead of inheriting my velocity, it travels to the point I was looking at when I pulled the trigger as if I were not moving.

Here is the same shot with full inheritance. The bullet inherits my velocity and therefor stays centered on the crosshair. When the bullet reaches the target, it has also traveled sideways (as I have) and misses the target. If I wanted to hit the target, I would have to pull the trigger to the left of the target to compensate for my lateral movement.

Some of you may think “ok, I see why it’s realistic, but doesn’t that just make things harder?” — yes and no. It can really depend.

Here is another gif with full inheritance — except this time, both the target and myself are moving in the same direction at the same speed (imagine they just took my flag and I’m chasing them). Relative to each other, we’re not moving — now it’s like firing at a stationary target while not moving ourselves and we just have to point at the target and shoot. On the other hand, if that rocket did not have any inheritance, I would have to lead my target to compensate.

Inheritance is also important for the rare games that let the player move extremely fast. If you're moving at 350km/h and launch a grenade in front of you that travels only 150km/h, you're going to eat that grenade if there's no inheritance.

Games like Quake usually don’t have inheritance. The maps are usually smaller and it’s easier to read the trajectory of a target by using the ground and walls as reference points. In Tribes, the weapons usually have inheritance and this is important because you’re often flying around chasing a target in the sky and your best reference point for the target’s velocity is often your own velocity. Arms of Telos has more variety in this respect — it has both the close quarter combat of Quake with the long range combat of Tribes — so I don’t think Arms of Telos will necessarily lean in one direction or the other.

In a lot of games, projectile weapons have partial inheritance — this means it’ll essentially drag behind your crosshair. I think having partial inheritance makes things more complicated, but I assume their reasoning is that they want to avoid situations where firing backward while going very fast will result in a projectile that has no speed or even travels backward (relative to the world). In the real world, gravity makes it less awkward — when projectiles don’t have gravity, they basically just stay still until they expire. A little weird, perhaps, but I don’t think it’s really a problem. 

While some situations might lend themselves better to one or the other, a lot of it also comes down to personal preference for each player. If there was an objectively superior option, this would have been settled long ago -- instead, you still see debates about how much (if any) inheritance projectiles should have in different games. Heck, some people even seem to prefer partial inheritance -- I don't know why, but they do.

What is Arms of Telos doing differently?

With Arms of Telos, I’m going to try opening it up to the players. Depending on their play styles and preferences, players will naturally have different opinions on the ideal inheritance values — so I’ll just let them tune their own weapons as they like. These are accessible through a client-side config file.

The way I see it, it’s similar to tuning your gear ratios in a racing game. Some gear ratios may be better suited for different tracks, but it also comes down to personal preference. Allowing players to tune them to their own preferences will hopefully give them a better sense of ownership over their experience.

Instead of getting into heated arguments on the forums, they’ll hopefully be helping each other find their own ideal inheritance settings. I can even use those discussions to help inform the values I choose as defaults.

By the way…

Right now the game is in private playtesting, but since I am a small indie it's not quite like a closed beta you may have experienced for larger games. You can find more info about getting involved on the official forums.

There’s various ways you can keep up with the game’s development – the official devblog is on Tumblr, and I’m often posting smaller updates on Twitter (there’s also an official twitter account for the game if you don’t want my personal tweets). You can subscribe on YouTube to keep up with new videos and I’ll be streaming stuff on Twitch as well. I welcome you to join the community on the official forums, as well as the IRC channel and subreddit. I’m on Facebook and Instagram, too. I also post updates to development communities like IndieDB and TIGSource.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:54:17 AM by JP (@JTown_) » Logged

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »

Upgraded the project to Unity 5, created a new lighting model that runs faster and gives me a lot more control. Can also explore some neat effects

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 07:39:26 AM »

I've been blocking out some new level design (still very very rough) -- it feels like designing a race track and FPS map at the same time because of the way the movement works.

WIP hovercars for scale

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »

pretty!

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »

Been working on in-game tutorials for Arms of Telos, which are part of a larger Challenge Mode. Quick example video here: https://twitter.com/jtown_/status/683339598362062849

Pretty basic right now, but I'll be iterating as I get feedback. Wish I'd done this a lot sooner.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »

Flag cap from last playtest

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:42:26 PM by JP (@JTown_) » Logged

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2016, 08:07:33 AM »

I'll be doing a visual pass before the greenlight trailer. I have some ideas for what I want to improve, but I'm too close to it -- so I'm asking you what you think needs the most work. Anything especially ugly or hard to read? Something look unfinished?

Don't worry about my feelings -- I want blunt truth!

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »

​Clips from last night's playtest + developer commentary

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic