Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:33:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKaiju Panic by Mechabit Ltd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Kaiju Panic by Mechabit Ltd  (Read 19457 times)
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 05:05:08 AM »

Would anyone be interested in a sneak peek at the greenlight page?

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »

I met the people from http://www.specialeffect.org.uk/ when I stopped by their stall at EGX Rezzed, accessibility has always been important to us in terms of game design so I was intrigued by their eye tracking car game made by Codemasters, SOAP. I was also impressed by their charity work with disabled gamers and asked if there was anything we could do to help.

We had a chat just now and it dawned on me that you could play Kaiju Panic entirely with the mouse if you wanted. With a few small changes to include linger and blink controls we could allow a whole new group of gamers play our game. This would likely be an optional control scheme in the full release or a modified version specifically for eye tracking. Most eye tracking hardware can control mouse movement so you wouldn't need any specific device or you could even use a mouse if you felt it made the game easier to control.

If there are any other accessibility concerns or suggestions please feel free to contact me about them!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:43:19 AM by spinaljack » Logged

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »

If anyone's interested in how we storyboard animated sequences here's an example from our trailer animation:

EDIT: oops too big

Here's an early stage video:

Do note that sounds and images are placeholder. It's meant as a test for pacing.
We might change locations in the video as the story isn't really set in stone either.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:00:57 PM by spinaljack » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

Holy shit thats a big thing.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »

Another interview has gone up:

http://www.nerfed.co.uk/kaiju-panic-video-interview-rezzed-2014/7542

and a review:

http://leviathyn.com/previews/2014/04/17/kaiju-panic-preview-egx-rezzed-2014/

MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »

Wow, really interesting to see the progression of the game (I mean the PR as well). Just read the thread and I think you guys got it going. Keep up the good work, love the simples style and specially the smooth animations that's an important thing sometimes underrated in games, animations. Just always keep an eye open to not end up falling as a "Revenge of the titans" alike.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »

Wow, really interesting to see the progression of the game (I mean the PR as well). Just read the thread and I think you guys got it going. Keep up the good work, love the simples style and specially the smooth animations that's an important thing sometimes underrated in games, animations. Just always keep an eye open to not end up falling as a "Revenge of the titans" alike.

Thanks, the game has moved away from RotT more since dev vid 1, it's now more like an action game with direct control of a hero character. We plan on having different types of levels as well, some having puzzle elements or epic boss fights.

I'll get some new screen/vids up as we make more progress.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:53 AM »

It's been a while since the last post but I've brought some gifs!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:16:59 AM by spinaljack » Logged

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »

So I thought I'd talk about some of the development work on Kaiju Panic.
One of the things that allow us to develop maps quickly is our tile based system.
Not only does it allow us to pack textures more efficiently but it also allows us to swap pallets for different biomes, give each tile a different physical property, quickly paint blocks using the editor tool, generate new maps at runtime and also makes path finding simpler.

I'm going to talk about that last thing a bit.

For a tower defence style game with 100s of units all moving towards a common goal(s) it would be less efficient to use something like basic A-Star pathfinding unless you group units or share pathing data. Instead we went for a Dijkstra style graph search system. This means that path generation only happens once and all the units then check the next tile they need to move to using this path map. Whenever the map changes significantly the whole graph does need to be updated however.

We also use a separate graph for each monster behaviour type. Do they prefer roads or just pick the most direct route? Do they go for the HQ or do they hunt down your harvesters? Will they try to avoid your turrets? As the game progresses we'll introduce new monster types each with their own behaviour.

At the moment the system takes a few seconds to calculate a graph on a medium sized map which does cause a bit of lag between when the monsters will react to a change. The path generation is put on a separate thread which means there's no frame rate drop on the main thread but it's still not ideal. I might have to experiment with faster path generation.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:56:26 AM by spinaljack » Logged

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »

This looks like it's come on loads since Rezzed! Keep it up!

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »

This looks like it's come on loads since Rezzed! Keep it up!

Thanks! We intend to launch the steam Greenlight next week and send out alpha builds to the pre-order customers. After that I hope to keep a regular alpha update schedule like Prison Architect does.

I'm counting on people spreading the word about Greenlight Smiley

_metamythical
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »

This game looks really great! I'm a fan already! Cheers  Beer!

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »

Thanks for the comments,  they are very encouraging Smiley

Today I'm going to talk about business.

EuroGamer Rezzed was a huge success for us, it was the first expo we attended as exhibitors and it also generated a lot of good feedback and reviews. We didn't manage to cover all the costs with pre-orders though so we really have to think twice about attending future expos with an alpha version game. (The cost was close to £1000 for entry + travel, insurance, hotel and other marketing materials)

We do wish to attend more expos as it's a lot more easy to get noticed there than relying on the internet alone. The next one for us would be EGX London, Play Expo in Manchester and Tokyo Game Show in Japan. "Japan? That's crazy!" you might think but Sony are footing the bill for indie game devs this year so it's actually not a bad idea provided we get selected. We can also apply for match funding from the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce and UKTI for international trade.

Those expos are in September and October so the game should be finished or nearly finished by then which will hopefully mean we can better gauge interest and make a firm judgement on how much we should be spending on marketing. Opinions vary based on who you're asking and it's a difficult thing to measure but hopefully we'll make our money back.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 05:45:19 AM »

Here's some things we're thinking about adding:

WSAD to move character - This seems like a good option but we don't want to remove the current click to walk controls so we'll keep both
Gamepad support - For you sofa warriors, we'd have to include a build wheel for construction options as well
Better tutorial - If anything we learnt from watching people play the game is we need better instructions
Sandbox mode - For replayability/leaderboards etc.
New game+ - These are coming back into fashion and it's always fun to replay the early levels with all unlocks
Voice acting - If we manage to get a budget for this, some people just don't like to read
More animations - Current story bits are static comics style frames, might add a bit of motion to the frames at least for polish
Monster bestiary - Adds a bit of flavour text to the monsters, also tactics tips
Easter eggs - shh, it's a secret
More NPCs - There's still the option to have your face in the game if you want to support us Wink
Achievements - Possibly also granting a passive boost so you get something other than an icon pop up
Multiplayer? - Probably not but it's an idea..

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 07:10:14 AM »

Added 3 more biomes to the game (snowy, desert, and er.. eastern looking).
We'll release a new trailer/dev video to show them off soon.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245264358

Steam page is live now. Please vote Smiley

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 01:34:01 AM »

Have a look at our new trailer

Then vote on our steam page Smiley

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 06:37:59 AM »

Totally mesmerized by the Steam stats page and analytics.
We reached 11% and the first day isn't even over yet!
Most of the visitors are from UK and US but there's also a large number of Japanese and other language speakers.

Someone needs to pry my finger off the refresh button so I can get on with other stuff lol

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 06:50:05 AM »

PRY THOSE DAMN FINGERS

the trailer is really well done, i actually got the gist of the game just by watching the first 10-20 seconds. thats always a good sign.
i noticed you used a few grammatical errors in your dialog. not gonna be a grammar nazi, dont worry
i would really like this with multiplayer, it looks like it would be a ton of fun if me and my kid sister could play this together. hey, it might even get her off minecraft :OOOOOO

keep up the good work!
-connor

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 01:38:12 AM »

Oops, I need to update those screenshots.

I'm glad someone compared the game to minecraft XD

Multiplayer is on the list but quite far down sadly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic