Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:01:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMini Metro [playable build + Greenlit!]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Mini Metro [playable build + Greenlit!]  (Read 40659 times)
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »

Awesome.  Keep an eye on the calendar though.  Lots of gamedev summits happening this month (Bitusmmit, GDC, Rezzed) so it might be hard to get attention, even for an awesome game like this.  You should definitely reach out to "pocket tactics".  they're a strategy oriented mobile gaming blog.  This isn't quite strategy but I think it's still in their wheelhouse.

peterc_nz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »

Thanks for the info Ryan, I knew GDC was coming up but never even thought about how it would affect press coverage! Duh. They happen so far away from us here in NZ that they're easy to forget about. Smiley I suppose it's not much different in the Philippines?

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »

I found out about this game through the TIGSource DevLog magazine, and just gave the alpha a spin. Way more enjoyable than I had expected it to be! I didn't realize tunnels were an upgrade at first.

I know a ton of transit nerds who would be head over heals for this game.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »

Ok, this game is seriously all kinds of awesome. Played 6 rounds already, and can't bring myself to stop. Also, just voted for it on Greenlight!

peterc_nz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »

Thanks man! The feature in the devlog magazine was a bit of a welcome surprise. I haven't had a chance to look at many of the others yet, I don't get many hours in front of the laptop now and since putting Mini Metro up on Greenlight most of that's been responding to feedback.

I just checked out Relativity on IndieDB - looks interesting and very cool!

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »

If you've ever wanted to design a subway map, you should play 'Mini Metro' @ The Verge

SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right
peterc_nz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »

Yeah ... it's gone a little crazy over here! The hits from that article are pouring in. I had to add some server capacity (thankfully we're on a VPS) after the site went down this morning, now hurriedly trying to put the build on a CDN. Good problem to have!

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »

Not really a bug, but I found something really annoying anyways that made me restart the alpha.

That stupid little bridge was so annoying. Could there be some way to make sure that doesn't happen? It seems dumb that it wouldn't be able to go around the river instead. Could you possibly stop the terminals from popping up in areas where this would occur?

Just a small nitpick, otherwise the game is quite addicting. I didn't realize at first that you could connect a single-colored line to multiple terminals, but after I did I started creating some beautiful and complex lines. Voted on Greenlight!

davemakes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 06:24:09 AM »

I love this game, it's simple and brilliant and fun. I haven't read through the devlog, I've just some notes for polish based on my experience with the alpha.

Grabbing the handles on lines can be finicky. When I want to extend a line, sometimes I accidentally create a new one. Or if I try to reroute a line, sometimes I wind up extending it instead. I'd like to see hover states for the different interactive parts so I know what action I will be taking when I click. I would also like to be able to pull out the middle of a line to loop in a new station without unraveling it from the end and going back over all the stations. I would like a visible number of how many lines & tunnels I have at my disposal so I can plan better. When the game ends, I want to take a minute to see my map and the station that killed me so I can think about how I can play smarter next time. I would like a leaderboard and additional stats about my game (# of stations, # of linese, etc.) so that I could see my progress and really judge if a strategy worked for me.

On balance, I don't feel like I have a lot of agency over my success after a certain point. I've played a few times now, and it seems I don't fail because of strategy so much as because the amount of passengers grows faster than my ability to upgrade my infrastructure. I'm wondering if I'll break through this feeling if I play more, or if it's really a game balance issue. Either way, I'm having a lot of fun.

davemakes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2014, 06:25:40 AM »

Not really a bug, but I found something really annoying anyways that made me restart the alpha.

Also, yes, this defect is annoying. Lines connecting stations on the same side of the river should never build tunnels.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »

That stupid little bridge was so annoying. Could there be some way to make sure that doesn't happen? It seems dumb that it wouldn't be able to go around the river instead. Could you possibly stop the terminals from popping up in areas where this would occur?

Are you sure it was being counted as a tunnel? Sometimes the game lets you get away with that and doesn't really count it.

I'm not sure it's really a bug though, if that is counted as a tunnel. If either station were in line with the square station to the left, or the if the river came down just a little farther, a tunnel between those two stations would still be unavoidable. The alternative, optimising station spawning to conserve existing routes and tunnels, seems at odds with the challenge of the game. Changing the route is the solution to that problem.
billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »

Are you sure it was being counted as a tunnel? Sometimes the game lets you get away with that and doesn't really count it.

I'm not sure it's really a bug though, if that is counted as a tunnel. If either station were in line with the square station to the left, or the if the river came down just a little farther, a tunnel between those two stations would still be unavoidable. The alternative, optimising station spawning to conserve existing routes and tunnels, seems at odds with the challenge of the game. Changing the route is the solution to that problem.

Not up to speed on changes in latest build. This was an issue in previous though. It happens in the rare instance that the stations  below the river line up the way seen in the picture, in that particular spot. The tunnel is indeed counted, and it occurs at a time in the game when the player is allocated only one tunnel and isn't due for another in time to resolve moving passengers across the river (e.g. moving square passenger across river to square station).
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:24 PM »

Congrats on all the coverage (verge, kotaku, gizmodo) well deserved. Can't wait for alpha5!

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

Love the minimal look of this, will try it out.  Good luck!

Coffee

M.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »

Thanks for the info Ryan, I knew GDC was coming up but never even thought about how it would affect press coverage! Duh. They happen so far away from us here in NZ that they're easy to forget about. Smiley I suppose it's not much different in the Philippines?

Yeah we're basically in the same boat, except maybe worse.  At lease there's a sizeable tech community in NZ and Oceania that Western Press pays attention to.  For SEA if you're not in Singapore or Jakarta, meh.

Congrats on the Verge mention HOLYSHIT!

peterc_nz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »

Congrats on the Verge mention HOLYSHIT!

It's been insane. We had that article yesterday. I thought that would be the end of the spike, but then it got picked up all over the place and our traffic has just gone ballistic. Over 80GB of builds shifted over 24 hours. The site had a nearly tenfold increase in traffic yesterday, and looks like it'll be at least tripled again today. We're not in the top #100 yet on Greenlight but if the votes keep coming in like they have been it won't be long.

Oh and you were right about Pocket Tactics, they picked it up! Smiley

peterc_nz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »

Congrats on all the coverage (verge, kotaku, gizmodo) well deserved. Can't wait for alpha5!

Thanks Gorms! Now I'm just trying to clear my head so I can code. I've spent the entire day on one simple task and just can't concentrate.  Epileptic

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »

Try eating an orange

peterc_nz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »

Just had a vanilla milkshake that Mary picked up for me. She's rad.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 09:52:19 PM »

You got my Greenlight vote! I would vote twice if I could. This is awesome. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic