Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:54:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject: Infinitesimals
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Project: Infinitesimals  (Read 52791 times)
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »

Edit: Update with video overview of project so far:

Hello Everyone and welcome to the Infinitesimals - dev log.

Infinitesimals began as sci-fi side-scrolling cinematic platform adventure with a strong emphasis on story, atmosphere and fantastic environments. I decided to move away from the Side scroller genre and it's now a 1st/3rd person game.

You take control of  two aliens inside their mechanical spider like vehicle called an Ajoxian  Gyro.
The pilots find themselves on a HUGE planet full of big bugs and dimwitted bipedal creatures but that’s the least of their worries because there is another alien faction down there too.

The aliens will come in a variety of colours, some of them quite bright. As they age however, the colour of their skin desaturates.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ajoxian Industrial All terrain Multi-Purpose Gryo Pod.
(Officially abbreviated to AIATMPGP. For your convenience you may refer to it as a POD)  

Dimensions: about 3.5 millimeters tall, 8 millimeters wide – including legs in idle stance. Crew capacity: 2

The pilots can   climb out of the POD and  walk around but their suits only have a limited   air supply (it’s also  very dangerous!).

The POD’s cockpit itself is  mounted within a 3 axis gyro. This ensures that the pilots are  sitting upright regardless of the POD’s hull orientation. This is  valuable for comfort of course but also ensures minimal spillage from  beverages in the seat mounted cup holders.

Here is one of the very first concepts of the POD:

The POD is modular and will be fully upgradable and customizable with a multitude of attachments and modules.

Here is an early 2D animated concept for some of the POD’s  locomotion/abilities. I should note that the games art style will not be  black and white silhouettes – it’s just quicker for me to animate the  concepts this way…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The POD will come up against some formidable foes. Such as this Hunter gatherer (piloted by currently unidentified adversaries!)

Here is an initial rough concept for how a smart POD crew might bring down one of these large Hunter Gatherer's enemies...

Then came the creation of a 2D animated mockup of a Hunter Gatherer takedown...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next step was to create a more polished 2D animation to better represent the games art style:

Inside the POD's cockpit, the outside world is displayed to the pilots on a screen that spans almost 360 degree's. Here is an early mockup of the POD's internal UI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the latest shot of the hi-res POD with side panels removed.

And a leg addon concept:

--------------------------------------------------------

James
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 09:49:58 AM by cubit » Logged
poe
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »

Looks amazing! Beautiful art and concept.
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »

Looks beautiful

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »

Wow, this looks incredible! Gameplay shown in the video looks great so far, can't wait to see more. Are you going to be using flip screen style camera predominantly, or will the game camera follow the pod (or will you be using some kind of mix between the two)?

FraktalZero
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:47:14 AM »

Looks really cool!
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »

Thanks Everyone!

Turbogun: I think we'll end up using a combination of both but the majority of the time the camera will track your motion. Of course that all might change once we start prototyping it! Wink
Hypnotron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »

will there be ants?
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:24 AM »

will there be ants?

The plan is to have ants yes. :D
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 05:14:29 AM »

And spiders? Addicted

my twitter. my itch.io page.
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »

And spiders? Addicted

Hopefully so! I'd like a nice range of different animals roaming around... though it's too early to say what kinds at this stage.
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »

Excellent! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »

Beautiful. I'm curious about the visuals, how are you achieving this?

jiitype
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »

Niiiiccccce.

On the HUD those directional buttons look like the ones in Dualshock 4, PS4 version coming?
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »

The POD has several cable launchers built into it's hull, this will allow it to swing around the world. It will also be able to drag objects around with them...

Video:

cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »

Niiiiccccce.

On the HUD those directional buttons look like the ones in Dualshock 4, PS4 version coming?

I'd love to get it on some consoles, but at the moment it's too early to say if we will be able to - PC/Mac/Linux are the first port of call.
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

Beautiful. I'm curious about the visuals, how are you achieving this?

Thanks Diegzumillo,
The engine is unity 4 DX9 - modelling done in Z-brush and 3dsmax. The Concepts are done in Photoshop and After Effects.
Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »

Very promising! Character movement looks very good, great work there! I love the concept as well. Smiley I assume you're not going for that Limbo-ish look right?

I listened to the music for the game you have on your youtube channel as well, very nice atmosphere, I would add a few synths there to add that mech sound to the mix Wink

I'll be definitely following your progress, cheers!

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 04:30:22 AM »

Wah looks beautiful. The animations are just splendid, perhaps just one thing to say about it: be careful not to forget that it's to be playable and reactive. Some actions seem a bit slow.

Just listened to the soundtrack as well.... Too bad somebody's already on there, I'd have really liked to give it a try myself but the soundtrack sounds very very good, congrats to James McWilliams.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:38:48 AM by ephoete » Logged

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 04:35:16 AM »

@ephoete: That makes two of us Wink
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:57:19 AM by Music Vortex » Logged

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »

Very promising! Character movement looks very good, great work there! I love the concept as well. Smiley I assume you're not going for that Limbo-ish look right?

I listened to the music for the game you have on your youtube channel as well, very nice atmosphere, I would add a few synths there to add that mech sound to the mix Wink

I'll be definitely following your progress, cheers!

Thanks! Yeh that black and white silloette look is just temporary. It will look like the images in the first post (well, hopefully better!)

Yeh, I'm wondering about how much synth to put in the score, it's very much open at this stage! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic