Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:16:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject: Infinitesimals
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Project: Infinitesimals  (Read 52827 times)
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:04 AM »

The POD has a very wide stance. When you compare it to bipeds! This does bring up certain potential problems with it's leg positions on tight platforms and corners. Small gaps are simply stepped across. A lone small platform would force the pod to narrow it's stance in accordance!

Ideally, an array of small gaps could be treated in the same manner...

Jumping from wall to wall seems a pretty logical extension of if's abilities...

We're a not an arcade platformer, so some of the staples of such platformers are not present!... for instance, the ability to turn direction during a jump...

(that's not to say there won't be an upgrade to alleviate such things Wink )

It would likely feel rather restrictive if the POD was unable to traverse around some of the thin surfaces (branches of a plant for instance)...

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:44:57 AM by cubit » Logged
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »

Some of the enemies you face will be much larger than yourself. In human scales this Hunter Gatherer Machine is perhaps about 3 inches tall. To our protagonists it's a giant. Combat against these foes involves chipping away at their armour in order to deal critical damage to important components. Players with stealth leanings will be fully able to infiltrate past such encounters if they so wish!

This Hunter-gatherer clears areas of vegetation, but also provides security for less offensively armed HG units. All Hunter-gatherers are piloted by yet unseen antagonists Wink

Scrollbar>>>>

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:34:43 AM by cubit » Logged
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »

I know it's been said plenty of times before in this thread, but it definitely needs repeating. This is an amazing concept and will no doubt be a fantastic game. There is something so melodic about the movement and the atmosphere. You have captured a completely unique atmosphere with this and I'm interested to see where it goes Smiley.

There is one suggestion, which may be irrelevant if you've said this in an earlier post and I just missed it. I was wondering why you chose to go with the silhouette environment. It does seem to provide a nice atmosphere, but I'm wondering if you lose most of the stunning detail on the pod.

Either way, what you're doing is fantastic and you should keep it up.

-McMayhem

Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG
Viewpoint Games, Inc. || Titan: Dawn ||
Lucs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »

There is one suggestion, which may be irrelevant if you've said this in an earlier post and I just missed it. I was wondering why you chose to go with the silhouette environment. It does seem to provide a nice atmosphere, but I'm wondering if you lose most of the stunning detail on the pod.

Either way, what you're doing is fantastic and you should keep it up.

-McMayhem

He said it in an earlier post, the silhouette environment is used to demonstrate some gameplay ideas, it will be different ingame (rather like the first pics on the topic)
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »

McMayhem: Thanks! So the Silhouette view is just for those concept animations (which are not in game). It allowed me to focus on the motion and shape of the POD's stances without having to worry about any other details. When I design stuff, I tend to start with silhouettes first and then move onto the the actual details once I'm happy with the overall shape.

I created those videos so that other members of the team have a clear view of what we're aiming towards for the POD's motion. Sometimes static concepts do not convey enough! It's doubtless the PODs motion is going to evolve as we go of course Wink

So the final game will be full colour and non silhouette Smiley I'm hoping to start showing actual real-time in-engine videos quite soon however! We already have some of the cable firing mechanics working pretty well!
McMayhem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »

I figured that was the case and I apologize for not being more observant. You clearly have an incredible grasp of modeling, animation, and creativity which you've displayed in droves thus far. (At this point I'm merely trying to satisfy my own curiosity, so feel free to ignore these questions if you like.) Did you get your education specifically in this area? The pictures you use to display your motion and direction are so well structured and are quite easy to read. I'm sure it makes it a lot easier for your team to understand what you want and I think that's great.

I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Titan: Dawn - A Sci-Fi RPG
Viewpoint Games, Inc. || Titan: Dawn ||
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »

Hi McMayhem, no problem Smiley

So, during college I actually focused more on composing music - which was what I wanted to do with my life back then (film scores etc). But that ideal went away when I did my first proper scoring gig for a game, which made me realise that I didn't ever want to write music for other people again.

The Art side is just one of those things where I was always was doing art from childhood so that's just been self taught too. When I went to college in 1997, they just didn't really have any courses to do what I wanted to do, so I did more of a general film making course. I got my 'break' in the games industry about 12 years ago as a UI artist/designer and so that's been my main area of focus professionally.

I always wanted to make my own games though. I pitched a game idea to a publisher in 2011 and they bought it and funded development but then development got canned mid last year. Indie is the life for me now, I'll never again go down the publisher route - for me it's just not compatible with my idea of what making games should be and I'm fed up with working for big studios.

Oops, that turned unto a rant! Wink
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:24 AM »

This looks really good!
Following.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 01:44:51 AM »

Looks really cool, how far are you from an in game video/gif?

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »

Awesome concept. What you're trying to do with the pod animation really looks a lot like Rain World's procedural animation system from more than an angle.

JLJac went into great detail over his process in the devlog, so you guys might want to take a good look at how he's making the magic happen.

Also: following  Blink

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »

So beautiful!   Kiss
And so cool!  Addicted
Also, the sfx are specially good!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »

Leo J: Thanks! Smiley

DarthBenedict: It's hard to tell exactly because at the moment this is a side project for all involved and we at the mercy of doing work to pay the bills (The aim however is to make it a full time project asap!). But, I'm hoping to start showing real time stuff within the next couple of months at the latest.

Bandreus: Yeh, I agree there are some things to learn from Rain world :D

Thecoolestnerdguy : Thanks, glad you like it!   Smiley
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »

Cool concepts!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »

I really love this game's visuals.

cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »

Ok, so my day job has been taking a lot of time up recently but i've been working on a combat concept animation on the side. It's almost complete and I just have to add some final touches (and sound).  I'll post the full sequence with the POD bringing down a much larger opponent very soon but for now, here's a preview snippet:

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »

My Word!

cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:07 AM »

The sequence is hopefully ready tonight. In the mean time I also composed some more concept music...

These are tracks that won't likely be used in the game, but are just stylistic sketches, so to speak.
Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:19 AM »

This is utterly splendid.  Love that movement!
Tangrin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 02:55:45 AM »

This looks amazing. Looking forward to in-game material Wink.

cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »

Thanks guys! Smiley

Well, I got a bit carried away last night and decided to add a lot more to the background to set the scene a bit more. I really want to start making these even more representative of target gameplay and give a sense of the scale too.

Hopefully will have the whole sequence done in a couple of days from now...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic