Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:27:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject: Infinitesimals
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Project: Infinitesimals  (Read 52852 times)
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 02:13:17 AM »

the animations are stellar. Is that blurring on the legs when it moves really fast? Looks great!

On STEAM ยป
SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:39 AM »

Ok, so my day job has been taking a lot of time up recently but i've been working on a combat concept animation on the side. It's almost complete and I just have to add some final touches (and sound).  I'll post the full sequence with the POD bringing down a much larger opponent very soon but for now, here's a preview snippet:

Woah, what is this magic, looks pretty great Addicted

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:55 AM »

Insane, I love it

cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »

Well, it's coming along. Still have some VFX and sound to do, but this is the sequence...

The POD distracts the Dishredder with a decoy hologram, which is what I have to add next and is missing at the moment.

migrafael: yep, blurred legs Wink
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Looks great, would you mind putting the whole thing on gfycat so I can watch it in one go? It got 24mb and 17mb gifs down to 2mb for me. It also handles high framerates pretty well.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

I'm quite confused by the amount of time you are spending on these concepts. You might as well just make an animated short instead of a game. These segments look amazing, but I hope you aren't setting the bar too high if/when it comes to actual gameplay.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be realistic. You have an amazing concept and a great grasp on character design and animation. If you're some sort of wizard and you can throw these together in your sleep, more power to ya!  Beer!

cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »

I'm quite confused by the amount of time you are spending on these concepts. You might as well just make an animated short instead of a game. These segments look amazing, but I hope you aren't setting the bar too high if/when it comes to actual gameplay.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be realistic. You have an amazing concept and a great grasp on character design and animation. If you're some sort of wizard and you can throw these together in your sleep, more power to ya!  Beer!

Hi Reilly,
It s a fair question! Smiley They don't take a huge amount of time to make, but for me the important part is showing the vision of the game clearly at the start of development (and this project is in the pre-production stage). I need to recruit some programmers so another reason I'm doing these are to whet some appetites for when I put the call out shortly.

I've worked on a lot of projects in the past where the dev team didn't really know what sort of game they were making - or at least they had a very mixed view of it. From my experience I'd say that most dev team members don't really read the design documentation of the projects they are working on apart from areas relevant to the section they work on (at least in bigger companies). And even if they did I think that even clear design docs can be open to a lot of interpretation and people come away with differing visions of the final game after reading it.

So these animations are mockups of how I want the game to be and I do believe that we can reach very close to these (and certainly surpass them visually). It's important to set a high bar and to communicate the vision right from the start.

So I won't be doing hundreds of these but I'm planning on doing a few more to showcase specific gameplay aspects that I want to clarify from the start.
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »

Looks great, would you mind putting the whole thing on gfycat so I can watch it in one go? It got 24mb and 17mb gifs down to 2mb for me. It also handles high framerates pretty well.

Hi Darth, I'll post a full youtube video of it soon, which will be uninterrupted with sound Smiley

Edit: Wow, gyfcat works a treat!...
http://gfycat.com/AliveLiveIndianpalmsquirrel

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:07:20 AM by cubit » Logged
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2014, 01:25:11 AM »

I think you have to link to it or it doesn't do the compression, it doesn't use the fancy compression when you embed it with IMG tags. It did take a while to load so I think it was full size for me.

Either way, it looks really good and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a programmer with art like that.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »

Ah, I getcha, I getcha.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »

It s a fair question! Smiley They don't take a huge amount of time to make, but for me the important part is showing the vision of the game clearly at the start of development (and this project is in the pre-production stage). I need to recruit some programmers so another reason I'm doing these are to whet some appetites for when I put the call out shortly.

I think you're absolutely right to spend significant time on the concepting.  It is certainly a high bar you're setting, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of programmer attention from such beautiful concepts.  If I weren't finishing up a 2+ year project, I'd totally be on board  Smiley

Having such amazing concepts also makes this project infinitely kickstarter-able.  Something I'm sure you've considered.

Good work and good luck!

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »

This is pretty incredible looking. The effects are stunning. Looking forward to seeing how it all translates over into playable gameplay.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »

That first image on the first page, are those the game's actual visuals?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 02:14:55 AM »

That first image on the first page, are those the game's actual visuals?

Yeh, that's a unity screenshot of an environment test scene Smiley

Not sure if we'll keep the macro photography depth of field or not yet. It makes things look small as if we're viewing the POD from a humans sized perspective as opposed to viewing the world from the POD pilots scale.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:47:59 AM by cubit » Logged
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »

SO well animated, love it.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
cubit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2014, 06:51:59 AM »

So, next update is the combat concept with sound:

And I also been working on some of the natural environment assets. These are first pass though and i'm not really satisfied with them... will hopefully spend some time this weekend getting a full in engine scene together with decent looking materials...

superchop: Yeh, hopefully that's the case!
johnki, ephoete: Thanks Smiley

So, I had a look at unreal 4 last night, the new licensing model is appealing and it does make me wonder about switching from Unity (having the source code to the engine is a real plus, among other things).
Zav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2014, 07:04:25 AM »

Wow... I love it. Everything changes with sounds Smiley
And the natural environnement looks promissing  Coffee
sorensilk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »

Shocked  Looks sooooo good  Shocked

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »

Wow, the sound gives an impressive sense of scale that the graphics alone didn't give.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »

Ahh! I figured it out! The final plot twist is that the pilots are gonna actually be Charlie Brown and Linus!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic