Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:08:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSomewhere - an exploration game set in a surreal colonial India.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Somewhere - an exploration game set in a surreal colonial India.  (Read 24292 times)
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »

This game makes me think of the Grand Budapest hotel. Great atmosphere in the level designs.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »

Thank you. @hube That is indeed a flattering comparison ! The idiosyncratic style of Wes Anderson's films, while not a direct inspiration are definitely a beautiful source of visual reference.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »

happy New year everyone !

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »

Posting after a long hiatus! Here are a bunch of images from various incomplete bits of environments we have been working on.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »

Oh wow, new areas!  Looks cool Smiley

I'm not sure if I'm 100% sold on the pixel-y grass sticking up out of the ground (the pixelation against everything else being sharp just makes it look like a bad rendering artifact to me?) but everything else is pretty neat!  I like the rock outcroppings a lot.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »

Thank you ! Really glad you like the new environments. 

You are quiet right the pixel-y grass is rather incongruous. It is supposed to be solid and 'grass-like'! But this being our first attempt at building grass in Unity, it seems to have turned out a little perforated! Guess I need to learn how to paint grass properly.

also Figments ( the new build ) on Rock Paper Shotgun

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »

Starting work on an environment for the second act of figments. Still very much a work in progress.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:12:26 AM by oleomingus » Logged

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2015, 06:55:19 AM »

Update Ten

An overdue update after a long long hiatus!

We just completed a small breakaway build from Somewhere called Timruk.
It is a storybook with an entwined narration of a folk story from the mythical city of Kayamgadh.

The idea is to proliferate the complete game with several such small journeys that loop and wind
independent of the story but illustrate the world from and it's surreal Colonial setting in great detail.

With Timruk, the narration is broken into three basic nesting stories, wherein each story narrates the one within.
All these stories then are ensconced within our own enactment of them across several small stage like spaces.

There is little interaction and the story itself plays out almost linearly, but this gave a chance to test
some details we have been meaning to try, like the intercuts and small refinements to the way dialogues
operate and are shown.

The build was originally crafted for display for an exhibition at Indie Game Shindig (Kerela)
and a modified version of the same will be shown at Level 1 : an exhibition at Khoj (Delhi).

You can find Windows and Mac builds for Timruk on our itchio page.
Click on the image below.

'The parable of Timruk and other Stories'
is a collection of folklore believed to have originated in Kayamgadh.

These stories were found carved upon temple walls across BhulaDesh.
And the imprints from the carvings were first compiled into written form by a traveling poet at the
court of Rajah Brimanath at the Kotananku presidency in 1821.

This edition was later transcribed into a large folio, possibly crafted by the fabled calligraphist Maguru.
The edition was accompanied by a set of miniature paintings that were scavenged from the various
Persian and Mongolian manuscripts collected at the Maharajah's library.

The historian Prof. James P Fielding translated the folio edition while working at Bhutagunj,
a British cartographic outpost near the Kotananku Ghats.

His translation, was published as a companion to his controversial book,
'The several histories Kayamgadh',
after his death in 1903.

Our game is an adaptation of Fielding's book,
a reprinted copy of which is to be found in the archives at the Calcutta state library.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »

With Timruk the sapces are crafted more to illustrate the story than to narrate it.
Thus each location is almost a stage. Here are some gifs demonstrating a little bit of the detail we have
tried to add to the dialogues and the intercuts with  their miniature paintings and the new hand
animations we are working on. 

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2015, 05:41:40 AM »

Looks fascinating!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2015, 12:56:22 AM »

Explorative, historical, surreal, colourful -- I have nothing but the utmost praise! This game looks absolutely incredible! Posting here to get update notifications.

Great job already! Good luck finishing the game!

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2015, 03:10:32 AM »

@SnakeCoiler, @sidbarnhoorn and @TheWanderingBen
Thank you! We really appreciate your kind words regarding our work.

Yes we have spent a long while building and detailing the intricacies of the world for our game.

Somewhere is set between the 1830s and the late 1800s,
covering about seventy years and the start of the independence movement in the country.

Thankfully there is no dearth of writing from that time period and our influences which are both varied
and verdant provide us with enough historical insight to be able to mangle our own narratives
into the overriding concerns of Colonialism and Storytelling.

Here are some of our overt influences.

Nonsense literature, experimental theatre and the
deconstruction of narrative form - in folk, magical realist and vernacular literature.

Sukumar Ray.
Girish Karnard.
Italo Calvino.
Jorge Luis Borges.
Orhan Pamuk     
My Name is Red in particular is refered to rather directly in our new build Timruk.

Colonial and post Colonial authors.
Who created a formal yet intimate record of, regional life in the subcontinent.

Rudiard Kipling.   
In particular " The Man who would be King " and " Kim ".
RK Narayan.
EM Forster.   
The characters in Rituals are a homage to characters from " A Passage to India "
JG Farell. 
Empire Triology.
Satayjit Ray.   
Feluda.

A little wile ago we conducted a small presentation for Sketchup at the Denver ComiCon demonstrating some methods of organizing space and form that we use to create our environments. Here are a few screens from the same.

That is Kevin looking absurdly delighted!

The presentation eventually lead to an article that you can find here : SketchupBlog

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »

Just played Timruk! I'm still madly in love with your art style - the colors and compositions are impeccable and everything looks so polished. And I quite like the writing. At first, the scenes distracted me from reading, but soon, I was so into it that I totally forgot to check out the scenes, haha.

Looking forward to the next build!

PS: Is the curse of ImunShah a reference to forever working on a game and never being able to quite finish? Tongue
PPS: I had indian food today and my room was still smelling of spices. Perfect mood!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:39:15 PM by TobiasW » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »

Surrealism and India -- Two things that I have a deep fondness, respect, and affinity for.

I'll be playing THIS tonight!

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2015, 04:25:18 AM »

PS: Is the curse of ImunShah a reference to forever working on a game and never being able to quite finish? Tongue

@TobiasW

Haha ! Yes I suppose we suffer from Imun shah's curse as well,
I knew stealing videogames from the god of death was a mistake!

I am really glad  you enjoyed the game (in accompaniment with flavorful Indian food!). It is a small excerpt from our larger game - but since we were separating it for display at a few exhibitions, we decided to sort of finish and release it as a complete build or storybook.

With any luck our next build should take lesser time to complete, as the curse wears off a little bit.
Thanks again for playing!

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2015, 04:31:42 AM »

@M4uesviecr Thank you! I hope you enjoy our stories about mythical cities and fictional tribes of miniature artists!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »

Hey guys, very cool! I'll have to download the latest build - can't really tell what the gameplay is supposed to be like. Are you simple exploring the stories/settings and interacting with them? Or are there certain goals that need to be accomplished, etc?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »

Hey guys, very cool! I'll have to download the latest build - can't really tell what the gameplay is supposed to be like. Are you simple exploring the stories/settings and interacting with them? Or are there certain goals that need to be accomplished, etc?

@Hello Pixel Noise.
The new build is actually a storybook from within the larger game, so it simply has you reading through a few interwoven stories, that are strangely connected. The complete game itself, has you exploring and navigation, talking to characters and changing characters during the game - or moving through the story as different people and causing it to change. You can see a little bit of the same in our older build (Rituals, on our itchio page).

The idea is to narrate several stories associated with the search for the Mythical city of Kayamgadh, and use the trellis of their narratives to explore colonial India of the mid 1800s.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »

An article about Timruk, our new build on Rock Paper Shotgun! Take a look.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/15/timruk-oleomingus-free/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic