Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:52:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSomewhere - an exploration game set in a surreal colonial India.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Somewhere - an exploration game set in a surreal colonial India.  (Read 24446 times)
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 02:21:49 AM »

# Update four point two.

People from Gubblepur. Character sketches from our current alpha, still work in progress.

Given that this is a somewhat early attempt at sketching humans ( and funny ones at that ) would really appreciate feedback.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:33 AM »

Hey this looks great, I have nothing negative to say about it as it stands, and I think you know your project best by the images - so just keep at it!  Smiley

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 03:22:43 AM »

The previous pages are amazing, and very inspiring!

You guys have the same workflow as me (SketchUp to Unity), but you've managed to get a much cooler atmosphere than what I have so far, while still keeping a somewhat low-poly look. I might have to re-evaluate the direction of my own project now, or at least do some more experimenting with style...

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »

Looks very interesting!

But please design another character. It just looks silly and detracts from the vision and the beauty of your world.

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »

@SamLewisJones  Thank you !

@eobet Appreciate your kind words regarding the art for the game world ! I just played a portion of your game, and the low polygon tunnels look wonderful ! I suppose our art differs a little bit with the addition of textures, lightmaping and a reliance on geometric architecture that Sketchup is particularly well suited to handle, compared to the organic spaces from your game world. Good luck with your game !

@Michaël Samyn  Really glad you like the game world ! I think you might be right about the characters though, they do seem to tend towards caricature. A feature that the game world itself does not reflect. I was hoping that bizarrely crafted people in a game world that is otherwise surreal would work, but these integrations might just be a little too cartoonish to sustain a serious narrative.  We might even tone the caricature down while turning them in to three dimensional meshes.

Thank you for the feedback, it certainly helps to reevaluate major game aspects form time to time !

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2014, 06:50:44 PM »

# Update five point one.

Work in progress ! Creating the rest of the Sarai. Images from the central courtyard. ( First rough lightmap )

Sketchup

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

Pretty! Making me nostalgic for when we were playing with Middle Eastern architecture in 8. Beautiful work!

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »

Wow, really lovely work.  Looking forward to walking around in that space Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

@Michaël Samyn  Thank you ! The Sarai used to be a British outpost so we are using using a lot of Indo Saracenic architecture as reference. Revival architecture simplified the Mughal forms from which it derived most of it's geometry and this suites our bolder color pallet and lack of intricate surface detailing.
8 looks wonderful ! Some of your screenshots remind me that the use of jalis /intricate geometric screens, add wonderfully to the sense of a semi enclosed space. Going to try that out.

@Zaphos   We are trying to complete this build by the IndiCade late deadline so we ought to have a playable build complete in the next ten days or so. Really glad you like the game !

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »

# Update Six point one.

We are working on a new movement mechanic that lets you walk into the images in your inventory.
The video below ( on our Tumblog ) describes it best.

We are also reworking fictions for our IndiCade submission and the new mechanic is a predominant part of the rewrite.
Here are some wip screens from the reworked build.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »

Every update makes this look better and better. I cannot wait to play it.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2014, 04:11:49 AM »

@Panurge   Thank you ! We are slowly inching towards completing a playable build. Should have something soon.

Experimenting with a main menu, superimposed on a live scene.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »

Okay so we only have one or two character models to work with. But at least we can turn them blue !

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »

I love the visual style. Regardless of what the gameplay will be, I'm happy to have explore this world, when will be release.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »

I love the visual style. Regardless of what the gameplay will be, I'm happy to have explore this world, when will be release.

Thank you ! The game world is rather complex and full of it's own little stories, so should certainly be fun to explore. We are a long way from release yet and the images above are largely from an early alpha build. But periodically we do release short playable builds. If I had to guess, I would say about eight months to a complete game, meanwhile we do plan to release a comprehensive alpha at the end of this month.

afilionComposer
Level 0

Music Composer for Games and Media.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »

Love the art Smiley

Music Composer for Games and Media.
http://Afilion.ca
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2014, 07:45:34 AM »

@afilionComposer  Thank you !

# Update Seven point one.

We are posting again after a bit of hiatus and there were some environments that we were experimenting
with in the interlude that I am going to skip. Might post some images from them later.

With this specific room we are working within smaller environmental confines.
The idea to to concentrate of non architectural and context specific details. Objects that build narratives within the game world.

In tandem with a basic shift in scale I am also using this room to explore the a more saturated pallet of hues,
and sharper contrast with fewer lights.

dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »

These environments and textures are great! Such a unique style.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »

Thank you @dqhendricks. Glad you like the art !

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

# Update Seven point two.

Here are some more screens from the same environment. wip of course. I am trying to build odd volumetric paintings by placing three dimensional meshes and layered textures within window like painting frames. The portraits that are crafted like this look rather strange ! Still need to make the frame less window like.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic