Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412111 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 29, 2024, 05:23:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLillian Gish and the Edge of Reason
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Lillian Gish and the Edge of Reason  (Read 7765 times)
just here for the ladies
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »

You play as Lillian Gish, a little bunny girl who has a passion for throwing knives.

The entire game is built around the idea of knife power ups.

I'm completely open to any and all criticism and suggestions.  I want this game to be as fun as possible for everyone.

I plan on creating an endless horde mode, as well as a story mode.

You can find the latest gameplay demos at : www.deviever.com

Created in Construct 2!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:07:08 AM by just here for the ladies » Logged
just here for the ladies
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

Let there be blood.

just here for the ladies
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »

just here for the ladies
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:09:35 AM »

New demo up : http://www.deviever.com/edge/

Would love to hear your feedback.
just here for the ladies
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:50:59 AM »

For those who don't have the time to play the latest Lillian Gish and the Edge of Time demo, here is a video :

davemakes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:00:47 AM »

Cool game. I would like it if the big knives followed the same rules as the little knives i.e. shot down in the direction of the cursor instead of the direction the character is facing.

just here for the ladies
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:25:21 AM »

Cool game. I would like it if the big knives followed the same rules as the little knives i.e. shot down in the direction of the cursor instead of the direction the character is facing.

Thanks!

... and yeah, I was considering that.  Would probably feel better.  Will switch it up next dev cycle (sometime tomorrow) and see how it feels. :D

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see changed / added!
just here for the ladies
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »

Some people just don't know how to follow instructions....

just here for the ladies
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »

New build and the first CHALLENGE of Lillian Gish and the Edge of Reason! GOOD LUCK!

http://www.deviever.com/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:12:04 AM by just here for the ladies » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »

i luv teh ttitle

just here for the ladies
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:24:39 AM »

i luv teh ttitle

Thanks. :3

- - -

Latest update!

Play it here : http://www.deviever.com/

- Added "aiming" mechanic for the big knife.
- Added jump down through knife button
- a few visual changes
- Updated level with more instructions / obstacles
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:12:12 AM by just here for the ladies » Logged
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:15:37 AM »

play is pretty fun, like it. sometimes i got stuck and had to mess the bigblade to find an exit because they go through the walls and the hold of the knives dissappears in the wall. also i got kinda stuck when the walls became tight so there was suddenly a lot of rumbling. but after jumping a few times i came out of it.

that was what i discovered so far but like said its huge fun to throw that blades and this holding w float is pretty nice too

just here for the ladies
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »

play is pretty fun, like it. sometimes i got stuck and had to mess the bigblade to find an exit because they go through the walls and the hold of the knives dissappears in the wall. also i got kinda stuck when the walls became tight so there was suddenly a lot of rumbling. but after jumping a few times i came out of it.

that was what i discovered so far but like said its huge fun to throw that blades and this holding w float is pretty nice too

Sweet.  Yeah.  I'm still sussing out the collision detection.  This is pretty much my third day using Construct 2 so I'm still getting used to the finder details. :3

Glad you enjoyed the floating and blades! :D  My aim is to have a lot more power ups and by the end of it all spelunky-level control over the character.

Let me know if there is anything you would like to see more of in the future and thanks for giving it a shot! :D
just here for the ladies
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »

This makes the game play a LOT more smoothly : http://www.deviever.com/

01.20.04 : build ad05001

- Fixed Lillian's jittery collision detection.
just here for the ladies
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »

My pixel art versions of a David North's enemy concepts.  Will be implementing these soon.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »

Heh, I really like the concept of an absurd action ability used also for puzzles! Very inspiring, this. Smiley

just here for the ladies
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »

Heh, I really like the concept of an absurd action ability used also for puzzles! Very inspiring, this. Smiley

Ha ha.  Thanks.  The original idea was that is was going to be a mindlessly fun run and gun game, but I think I'm going to break it up with more stealthy puzzle bits. :3

Would definitely love to hear any ideas ya got if anything comes to mind.  I'm still VERY early in figuring out the direction of this game!
just here for the ladies
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

ooh ah ooh ah ooh ah ooh ah

moar fluidity

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:50:56 AM by just here for the ladies » Logged
mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »

I played the demo and I really liked it! It has some neat mechanics that could make for a ton of puzzle stuff. Being able to use knives as platforms is pretty cool. I also like the art a lot. Pixels are the best!

The one issue I did have was with the big knife. When you hold down prior to launching it, it seems like if the translucent knife is already intersecting with a wall when you let go, it will ignore collision with that side of the cube, so if you are very close to a wall when you fire them they won't stop until they hit the opposite side. I ended up with a lot of big knives totally embedded in the wall that I couldn't use to climb.

just here for the ladies
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

Thanks Mike!

I'm still getting used to how Construct 2 handles collisions and will definitely be fixing the knife-to-wall collisions soon.

I kinda like the idea of the big knives going deep into walls so you can hit something on the other side.... the smaller ones are meant for more practical stuff like building ladders.

I think in the final game, the big knife will be more of an every-now-and-then power up of sorts that you can only use every so often.

Either way, you're right, I definitely need to figure out how to make it work more predictably. :/

- - -

Speaking of unpredictable things... working on the "wizard" enemy who takes your knives and throws them back at ya.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic