Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:54:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHow to Be a Tree
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: How to Be a Tree  (Read 120259 times)
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »

> All I have so far is this attempt to make the word tree out of tree parts from the game ...

I think that works and is quite fitting, but it needs more segments. The ninety degree angles kinda ruin it now. Also subtle animation would be nice; branches swaying in the wind and such.
Yeah, I was trying to mimic the game's tree very closely but I think you're right that I need to lose the 90 degree angles to make the text look good.  Thanks for the advice!

I'm a fan of this direction! Obviously could use polishing, maybe the final version could have the eye floating around and judging it, too.
Thanks!  I like the idea of the eye featuring somewhere in the logo.

Hey I'd love to design you a logo. Honestly I mean you could make one yourself, and it'll probably end up just alright, but a game this cool needs a good logo. Shoot me an email [email protected] and I'll send you my portfolio.
I do like trying to make things myself, and I'm not sure what my budget is, but you're probably right that you'd do a better job!  Love your Miniverse logo Smiley  I'll send you an email.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2014, 09:45:49 AM »

So... why not use the rendering code to generate the logo real time (allowing for subtle movements to give it life), and export a frame to png or gif animation if needed?

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »

Just seemed easier to lay things out in photoshop!  I suppose I could try that once I figure out how I want the logo to actually look Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

This looks amazing and I loved Realistic Kissing Simulator. I'll be watching eagerly.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »

Realistic Kissing Simulator

Huh? What's that? [checks sig] "press A+Z and UP+DOWN simultaneously"

Oh god, I HATE THIS LAPTOP WITHOUT N-KEY ROLLOVER!
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »

Realistic Kissing Simulator

Huh? What's that? [checks sig] "press A+Z and UP+DOWN simultaneously"

Oh god, I HATE THIS LAPTOP WITHOUT N-KEY ROLLOVER!
Aw, sorry; I have been meaning to write a key config for people who have key ghosting issues but haven't gotten to it yet.

In the mean time, you can try S+X instead of A+Z and/or P+L instead of UP+DOWN, and see if your keyboard can register those keys simultaneously ...

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »

http://zaphos.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/tree_chew2.gif?w=218

Possibly one of the greatest GIFs I have seen.

Also, the falling/stopping through chasms looks really fun.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2014, 06:05:46 AM »

More RPS coverage!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/05/how-to-be-a-tree/

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »

You know, the "do nothing" option just reminded me of one of my favourite secret paths in gaming of all time: Warioland 2. It starts with Wario sleeping in bed, with an alarm clock somewhere in the castle. However, if you do nothing for half a minute (after finishing the game once) he'll sleep through the alarm clock and it opens up a secret path

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »

Hooray! 

You know, the "do nothing" option just reminded me of one of my favourite secret paths in gaming of all time: Warioland 2. It starts with Wario sleeping in bed, with an alarm clock somewhere in the castle. However, if you do nothing for half a minute (after finishing the game once) he'll sleep through the alarm clock and it opens up a secret path

Haha, that's pretty cute!  I love secrets like this Smiley

Mini progress update: Still mostly doing things that don't result in cool gifs.  Optimization, bug fixing, etc.  For example, today I just realized that ftgl pixmap fonts are actually quite slow on my mac (even though they didn't seem that bad on windows) so I'm replacing them with texturemap fonts (which are orders of magnitude faster, apparently).  On the marketing front, I registered howtobeatree.com and just posted a little poster thing I made for The MIX LA on it for now (in which I call the game a QWOP-like platformer ... I should probably figure out what I actually want to say the genre is, heh).

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »

Hooray! 

Haha, that's pretty cute!  I love secrets like this Smiley

Mini progress update: Still mostly doing things that don't result in cool gifs.  Optimization, bug fixing, etc.  For example, today I just realized that ftgl pixmap fonts are actually quite slow on my mac (even though they didn't seem that bad on windows) so I'm replacing them with texturemap fonts (which are orders of magnitude faster, apparently).  On the marketing front, I registered howtobeatree.com and just posted a little poster thing I made for The MIX LA on it for now (in which I call the game a QWOP-like platformer ... I should probably figure out what I actually want to say the genre is, heh).

How To Be A Tree...a realistic arboeal simulator

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »

Haven't posted in a while but I've still been doing stuff!  Had a bunch of tweaks to work on after watching people play the game at The MIX in LA.  (Also, took a brief detour to learn Haxe and remake an old game of mine with it, Endless Frog Kids)

Most recently have been toying with these simple doors that require the tree make a specific pose to open.  Perhaps a good intro mechanic / a nice bit of flavor at the entrance to a Temple of Trees?

They're mostly harmless although they can crush you if you are slow about getting out from under them.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »

Gosh, poor tree  Tongue

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »

The leaves being carelessly scattered is so sad... it's very effective!

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »

This needs to be reported to the RSPCP!

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2014, 02:09:44 AM »

Most recently have been toying with these simple doors that require the tree make a specific pose to open.  Perhaps a good intro mechanic / a nice bit of flavor at the entrance to a Temple of Trees?
Love it!
gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2014, 03:26:41 AM »

Looks great!  I love the Sierpinski triangle / fractal reference  Grin
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »

Thanks for all the nice words Smiley

Looks great!  I love the Sierpinski triangle / fractal reference  Grin
I still need to work in exactly how the Sierpinski triangles come into the story of it ...

I was thinking there is some sort of fractal spirit/god figure who talks to the tree in dream sequence levels.  I was playing with weird color effects (mostly by just messing with "glEnable(GL_COLOR_LOGIC_OP); glLogicOp(/*anything but the default will prob look funky / cool*/);") today, thinking they might be good for those levels.  Here's a giant page of color tests that resulted from that ...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »

Aww yeah!
Luachra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2014, 01:25:51 AM »

Just stopping by to say how stupidly fun this game looks. I love the shapes/ positions you can make with the tree, really pleasing to look at visually and they all seem to serve some kind of function which is great! Love the angular art style too. Can't wait to see more! Hand Clap
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic