Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:58:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHow to Be a Tree
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: How to Be a Tree  (Read 120616 times)
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »

Are sawblades cliche yet?

(the gif makes the sawblade look extra funky, so much temporal aliasing and banding)

For the very first gifts I was like "alright another guy who's playing with a physics engine".... And then I was the dulls and the moving dentures.... And I was in!
Haha, "another guy who's playing with a physics engine" is still kinda true but I'm glad you're in!

The mechanics with the mouth enemies are fantastic.
Thanks!  It's actually kind of tricky to make the mouths a real threat to the tree; they move so randomly that often they just kind of bounce around uselessly.  I think I will give them a tiny bit more "AI" so they actively try to chomp the tree ... (right now they just open and close on at a fixed pace).

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

omagod , this is treerific
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

This looks so good. Remind me of Incredipede
Is this planned to be a paid release, a freeware game, etc.? Definitely pre-ordering if/when available, love physics platformers in general and I love Tree's aesthetic and gameplay.

The stuff with the lasers and other obstacles, so many possibilities here. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:45:33 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Blambo
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »

thisis currently the best fucking shit
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »

Posted about the game on Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/1w6eoz/how_to_be_a_tree/

As for suggestions, you already have some great ideas. And the movement itself just looks so satisfying and fun. The gameplay possibilities are just huge.
- Precision platforming areas where you need to avoid sawblades and lasers and other hazards
- Puzzle areas that revolve around using the tree in interesting ways (becoming a bridge for NPCs to cross over, etc.)
- More exploratory areas with NPCs and structures
- Stealth/infiltration as you shimmy and climb through vents and hide as a regular tree to trick enemies
- Themed areas. The desert like you said, a forest fire, a lumber mill, crazy abstract worlds and levels, high tech complexes to infiltrate, ancient ruins
- Story wise, maybe you're the first tree to move, and thus some people worship you or fear you, others want to destroy you, and you're trying to learn your true destiny or something.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:05:17 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 01:54:20 AM »

Is this planned to be a paid release, a freeware game, etc.? Definitely pre-ordering if/when available, love physics platformers in general and I love Tree's aesthetic and gameplay.
Maybe paid ??! / I don't really know what I'm doing!

As for suggestions, you already have some great ideas. And the movement itself just looks so satisfying and fun. The gameplay possibilities are just huge.
- Precision platforming areas where you need to avoid sawblades and lasers and other hazards
- Puzzle areas that revolve around using the tree in interesting ways (becoming a bridge for NPCs to cross over, etc.)
- Stealth/infiltration as you shimmy and climb through vents and hide as a regular tree to trick enemies
- Themed areas. The desert like you said, a forest fire, a lumber mill, crazy abstract worlds and levels, high tech complexes to infiltrate, ancient ruins
- Story wise, maybe you're the first tree to move, and thus some people worship you or fear you, others want to destroy you, and you're trying to learn your true destiny or something.
Really cool, thank you!  Precision platforming will be super hard / hardcore for a tree to pull off, but maybe I will be able to put in some of that later in the game, once I can teach players the tricks of moving well as a tree.  The rest of the ideas are great; definitely directions I want to explore Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Fincap
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:30 AM »

Is the game currently in a playable state? I would love to try this out. It looks right up my alley.

Sawblades will never be cliche, don't worry <3
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 05:37:21 AM »

Maybe paid ??! / I don't really know what I'm doing!

Really cool, thank you!  Precision platforming will be super hard / hardcore for a tree to pull off, but maybe I will be able to put in some of that later in the game, once I can teach players the tricks of moving well as a tree.  The rest of the ideas are great; definitely directions I want to explore Smiley
Think precision could work well. I mean here:

Seems like you have a lot of control once you know what you're doing.

Oh, and that Reddit post about your game is currently the #1 thread in r/Indiegaming. You got something with a lot of potential here, can't wait to see where you take it

AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »

ha this is great!! I can not wait to learn about begin a tree..  Wizard
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »

I also want to be a tree

ZeppelinCaptain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »

Where do I sign up for being a tree?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »

Where do I sign up for being a tree?
you don't

just become a tree

do nothing

jiitype
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »

This gif is particularly hilarious in all its lolrandomness. The explosive crunch when eaten is quite satisfying, I figure physics would be the thing that'll make or break a game like this.
Mystaceus
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

This looks fantastic - excited to see where this goes! The chomping teeth sell it.

To totally be that guy who offers help when it's not asked of him - I illustrated Incredipede, and I'd love to lend a hand if you need help with any art assets!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »

This is indeed weird and unique. I like the random crazy dialogue between the Eye and Tree. Really cool so far!

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »

this game is so yes

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »

Ok now this is truly turning into something completely mad and damn original. +1000  Mock Anger

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »

this is cool and creepy at the same time, I kinda like it  Smiley

also, this gives me flashbacks of a Judge Dredd comic, where a genetically enginered tree rebels, and starts killing citizens, by throwing fruits at them.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »

Not only is this fucking hilarious, but it really looks like it could be really fun to play.

My only suggestion is to calculate ahead of time where your line breaks need to be for the dialog text rather than doing it when adding new characters. That way a words won't abruptly move down to a new line while you're reading them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic