Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:38:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHow to Be a Tree
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: How to Be a Tree  (Read 120701 times)
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

This game looks nuts. I particularly love how you've given something as basic as a tree it's own set of limbs and locomotion.
Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »

This game looks nuts. I particularly love how you've given something as basic as a tree it's own set of limbs and locomotion.

I see what you did there

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »

This is AWESOME.

I like games with that level of weirdness.
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »

This game is all kinds of crazy and all kinds of brilliant! I love it.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2014, 02:33:48 AM »

Thanks so much for all the encouragement Smiley

Minor update: I tried to make a more interesting level goal than the basic flag I had before.  Experimenting with variations on the Koch snowflake led me here ...

... I think it might still need some work to really convey "portal out of level," though.  Maybe some glow?

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2014, 04:55:08 AM »

This looks awesome. I am seriously curious as to how the controls actually feel.

fuguelike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2014, 08:30:30 AM »

It's hard to make a game that works and is fun when you go out on such an experimental limb. But it looks like you've got something here. Awesome.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »

So... is this like the flora to QWOP's fauna?
srslypretentious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »

Trees are people too!

But on a more serious note, looks fun, keep at it  Smiley
Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »

Thanks so much for all the encouragement Smiley

Minor update: I tried to make a more interesting level goal than the basic flag I had before.  Experimenting with variations on the Koch snowflake led me here ...

... I think it might still need some work to really convey "portal out of level," though.  Maybe some glow?

You need to do something, but NOT a glow, since nothing else has glow, it would look weird.

I suggest you using more fractals to make the portal more portally, maybe using more colours.

Maybe instead of being black the portal can have a fractal texture? (not necessarily animated, but who knows).

Although I guess that a mandelbrot although still fractor would still look out of place since you only use plain colours in the game.

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

Maybe a color cycling effect?
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2014, 10:26:40 AM »

This is cooooooooll. I reminds me of a kids book, I believe it's called straight line story, about a jumping straight line and his friends who tell him not to. Very cool mechanic, great visual style, overall awesomeness. I'm always looking for cool games to play with my little kids and this looks perfect!

M.

TheIndieForge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »

I love this concept so much, it's just the right amount of surreal for my liking!  Smiley

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words!

You need to do something, but NOT a glow, since nothing else has glow, it would look weird.

I suggest you using more fractals to make the portal more portally, maybe using more colours.

Maybe instead of being black the portal can have a fractal texture? (not necessarily animated, but who knows).

Although I guess that a mandelbrot although still fractor would still look out of place since you only use plain colours in the game.
Good points.  I feel like *maybe* I could get away with something a bit out of place for the portal because portals are supposed to be weird and out of place by nature?  But yeah, glow is probably not right!

Cool, maybe -- Worth a try!

This is cooooooooll. I reminds me of a kids book, I believe it's called straight line story, about a jumping straight line and his friends who tell him not to. Very cool mechanic, great visual style, overall awesomeness. I'm always looking for cool games to play with my little kids and this looks perfect!

M.
Is it this? http://www.amazon.com/The-Straight-Line-Wonder-Mem/dp/1572552050  Looks cute!

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2014, 01:20:23 AM »

There is also this cartoon:

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2014, 04:53:23 AM »

I want to...i want to, i want to be a tree! Awesome idea, art, and project over all. Love how everything is coming together.

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2014, 05:36:16 AM »

Zaphos: yeah you found it! It's an awesome, weird book. My kids totally dig it. Reminded me of your concept a lot.  Really excited about your project! My kids will love it. Is there a beta coming? I want to show it to them.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:40 AM »

Zaphos: yeah you found it! It's an awesome, weird book. My kids totally dig it. Reminded me of your concept a lot.  Really excited about your project! My kids will love it. Is there a beta coming? I want to show it to them.
Cool, I'll have to try to get a copy Smiley  Re beta: Probably eventually!  But I'm still not sure when.

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:21 AM »

Those gifs! Big Laff Really looking forward to this.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »

Hey guys, you got mentioned on RPS!

Not as cool as your previous feature on the Devlog Magazine #15, I know, but still!  Wink

Congrats on all the exposition, I love How To be a Tree's novel concept a lot  Kiss

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic