Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:07:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStellar Arms / [anuStar] - retro styled run n gun -
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Stellar Arms / [anuStar] - retro styled run n gun -  (Read 17502 times)
Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »

hello guys, it's Laz from stellar-Ø. i rarely post here though, but today im in the mood so i give it a go .

Game info~
Stellar Arms / once known as [anuStar] project
Genre: linear run n gun, platformer
Emphasis: level design, AI design, intense boss battle, fluid aesthetics
Art direction: retro, pixel art
Theme/setting: modern-fantasy, abstract

Story~
story's not yet polished, we just throw out simple ideas in mind, like parasol(as weapon)-wielding family members, fighting over an ancient ultimate umbrella.

you play as Sol, wields sun parasol, works as flame-thrower, fighting horde of waterdrop minions.

*UPDATE*
A genius professor Umbra sets up two children of his (Sol and Pluie), to challenge each other in one big challenge (the stages), the winner will get the infamous-legendary weapon-umbrella (thus called the Stellar Arms), the world seeks. Pluie agreed though Sol didnt look interested fighting his own brother.

Both of them needs to survive through (different) stages full of monsters he created, at some parts of the stage they see each other and ought to duel to proceed the stage.

Development story~
i work on multiple project now, this is one of it. Stellar Arms (first known as anuStar) is started by hipon (the coder and game designer), who's kinda obsessed with TREASURE's level design. one day he said to us, "hey let's clone gunstar heroes" i thought it was a joke, but he actually made a prototype without my help as the artist, haha.

this is kind of trial project we want to make, 1 stage, a miniboss and a boss, is our current aim. Sega Genesis version of Gunstar Heroes is our big inspiration for the project, but hopefully it turns out into something different, and even better.

Progress~

CODE - hipon (@ricolemba)
jan/2014 - still working on core engine
feb/2014 - implementing new tilesets/original assets
mar/2014 - new map, spawners, added miniboss
apr/2014 - added pre-miniboss, the wall
may/2014 - placeholder title screen, miniboss update
june/2014 - boss rough pattern, some bugs fixes
july/2014 - implementing boss sprites, particles

GRAPHICS - Lazcht (@lazcht), Reijubv (@regianart)
jan/2014 - still working on Sol's key sprites
feb/2014 - rough tilesets, more of Sol's sprites, concepts
mar/2014 - monster, boss sprites, sprite polishing, visual effects
apr/2014 - optimizing/ merging explosions, sprite polishing
may/2014 - mockup draft title screen, particles
june/2014 - concept arts, separating stage1 BG into layers, particles
july/2014 - boss's key sprites

AUDIO - clea leshlick (@clealeshlick)
feb/2014 - rough SFX
mar/2014 - stage 1 BGM, SFX polishing, rough voice acting
june/2014 - miniboss BGM draft
july/2014 - planning on new voice takes and batch of new SFX

FAQ~

Q: Why is the project called ANUS-tar?

A: It was actually a codename, we name prototypes with "anu"-something, and as this project inspired on Gunstar Heroes, we match the "anu" with "star", we weren't intended to make "anus" word, but it's been attracting lot of jokes, that's why we're totally okay.
more detailed answer here

Early stuff~

unused sprites (wrong scale)

Latest Stuff~

feel free to throw feedbacks, as that's one of my purpose posting this topic. demo might available later, i have to ask the others first Tongue

follow our devblog on tumblr: http://stellararms.tumblr.com (updated almost daily)
or follow the hashtag #anuStar on twitter for some realtime info :D

=first post will be updated with new contents later, so stay tuned.=

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:11:03 AM by Lazcht » Logged

EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »

looks cool, I really want to see how the water drop enemies will look like.
Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:32 AM »

looks cool, I really want to see how the water drop enemies will look like.
haha, thanks, sure, tbh im quite still confused myself for the enemy designs

and new things from me, nothing real interesting yet to show, but i'll post it anyway to keep the project updated.

enemies concept, haha, i want to put humor on their design and make them look generic, surprisingly challenging as im used to make the hero type, but not unimportant NPC/creeper type.

drople test

im not yet experienced on creating platformer tiles so this is still sooo experimental.

some screenshots (still using lot of placeholders)

somersault slash Tongue

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:38:39 AM »

This looks great so far! You've painted a great picture on how the game with play out with all the details above, awesome job, I'll be watching this for sure.
thelemba
Level 0

-lemba-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:28:13 AM »

This looks great so far! You've painted a great picture on how the game with play out with all the details above, awesome job, I'll be watching this for sure.

Thanks man, we're planning to release the demo first before we go further in this project, so please wait for it! :D

twitter : @ricolemba
thelemba
Level 0

-lemba-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:51 AM »

Hi guys, I'm hipon, lead designer, coder, and level designer of this game. It seems the first post doesn't give much information about this game, so I'll reveal a bit more!  Smiley

So in this game, enemies come from the object called "spawner", we haven't decided how this "spawner" will look like, but I'm thinking of a pipe like in Super Mario.

Enemies will spawn endlessly from this spawner unless player steps on it ( blocking the pipe hole ).And of course there is a limit to how many enemies on screen, the game would turn into chaos we don't limit it  Addicted

This concept works quite well so far, I could manage the intensity of the level design by adjusting the spawn rate,what kind of enemies will be spawned, etc..I think it's better than placing enemies individually on level editor.

here's a preview to show how spawner works :D ( some assets are placeholder )

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »

I dig the style but there's too stark a contrast between the enemies & the player in terms of aesthetics. The enemies have a lot more detail. There's no way to incorporate the higher res player sprite?
thelemba
Level 0

-lemba-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »

I dig the style but there's too stark a contrast between the enemies & the player in terms of aesthetics. The enemies have a lot more detail. There's no way to incorporate the higher res player sprite?

don't worry, the enemie sprites are placeholder, those are taken from the other game. This game will use 2x scaled sprites like the player sprite. We use that because it's faster to make and it gives retro feel to the game Smiley

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

So in this game, enemies come from the object called "spawner", we haven't decided how this "spawner" will look like, but I'm thinking of a pipe like in Super Mario.
You could use TMNT-style driller vehicles or drop ships which can pop up anywhere, allow you to surprise the player by appearing behind them, underneath them, etc.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 05:07:48 AM »

world concept before i go deeper on tileset, i underesetimated platformer tileset creation, it's surprisingly hard >_>

i trust almost all the game design on hipon since im already overwhelmed in graphics side, haha.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »

why is your game called ANUStar?

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 05:55:45 AM »

Lol I knew it's you guys just by the game's title alone Cheesy. As always, I dig the style. Is the circle around the player part of the gameplay mechanic?
Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:08 AM »

why is your game called ANUStar?
Cheesy

anu in indonesian means "something" but sometimes it's used as dirty jokes that's why we often get grins or laughter from locals.

we like to name our prototype anu-something, like anufrog, anublock, anuduel, etc. the case [ANUS]tar is totally accidental and this question was mentioned by a tweep once.

"anu-star" because it's influenced by Gunstar Heroes, it once named anugun though. Tongue

Lol I knew it's you guys just by the game's title alone Cheesy. As always, I dig the style. Is the circle around the player part of the gameplay mechanic?

it's nice to let people know it's us by the codename alone XD thanks to tuning in here, dude. the circle is the blade's range/hitbox, it's only there for debug purpose.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 06:24:36 AM »

I dig the the flamethrower parasol. It's like a hardcore super princess peach. Are you going to multipurpose it for floaty/hover jumps?

my twitter. my itch.io page.
FraktalZero
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 06:42:32 AM »

This is looking quite good. I love the character style Smiley
thelemba
Level 0

-lemba-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »

I dig the the flamethrower parasol. It's like a hardcore super princess peach. Are you going to multipurpose it for floaty/hover jumps?

yes! Actually it's a multipurpose weapon, it can be both sword and gun. the sword form has special ability which I'll reveal soon!

Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »

wip sprite for shooting (flame thrower)

cap of the parasol (i dont even know what's that called) absorbs heat (just like solar panel) and converts it to flame

i cant explain it really well since i dont know the english terms of umbrella parts  No No NO but i hope you understand what happened

also here are the earlier sketch concepts i made before i sprite

thelemba
Level 0

-lemba-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »

Update! a concept for 1st miniboss Smiley

Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »

another tileset mock, still playing with color palette, since the current version is a tad too bright and really catch the eye.

that blue pipe are one of the spawner, still has to be contrasted though, i think.

let me know what you think folks!  Tongue

Mr.Blue
Level 0

Hello.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:53 AM »

It indeed reminds be of Gunstar heroes in the best way possible.
Your MC is cool too.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic