Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:06:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creative2d animation for beginners?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: 2d animation for beginners?  (Read 7984 times)
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »

more advice, focus on one body part at a time, start with your legs then work your way up. Don't move on till it feels good. You want to look for stuttering which means you have an unnecessary frame somewhere (which you do in this animation). make things gradually move back and forth.

I just removed some neccessary frames - mostly where the legs didn't change their position much at all so they didn't warrant a new frame.  Coincidentally it fixed the stuttering on your gun.  Which makes me think you added frames just to stretch it out.  You're using graphics gale?  Play around with frame rates in each frame option, rather than add more frames - add frames if you need to.  if you can achieve a smoother looking animation cycle with less frames is better than more frames and a stuttering animation.

- >

it would also help if you put these gifs in img tags, numbering each frame, and also have it spreadout frame by frame.  You'll get more people who can offer you case by case advice if you moved this to workshop.

edit:
like I said you don't need a detailed model, just use blocks and rectangular geometry.  for side scroller put the camera facing straight on the model, for top down, have it above and rotated 45 degrees.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:23:17 AM by baby_fun » Logged
ostrich160
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »

more advice, focus on one body part at a time, start with your legs then work your way up. Don't move on till it feels good. You want to look for stuttering which means you have an unnecessary frame somewhere (which you do in this animation). make things gradually move back and forth.

I just removed some neccessary frames - mostly where the legs didn't change their position much at all so they didn't warrant a new frame.  Coincidentally it fixed the stuttering on your gun.  Which makes me think you added frames just to stretch it out.  You're using graphics gale?  Play around with frame rates in each frame option, rather than add more frames - add frames if you need to.  if you can achieve a smoother looking animation cycle with less frames is better than more frames and a stuttering animation.

- >

it would also help if you put these gifs in img tags, numbering each frame, and also have it spreadout frame by frame.  You'll get more people who can offer you case by case advice if you moved this to workshop.

edit:
like I said you don't need a detailed model, just use blocks and rectangular geometry.  for side scroller put the camera facing straight on the model, for top down, have it above and rotated 45 degrees.

Thats all really helpful, thanks. Ill still have a look at rotoscoping, and Ill try making a character in 3d again, but Ill also work more on my animations as you said focussing one body part at a time
Thanks again guys
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »

You need to keep an eye out when rotoscoping. It's a good place to start but it's by no means a finished product. Overly rotoscoped stuff tends to look really floaty and imprecise (Check out the 1970's Ralph Bakshi animated Lord of the Rings movie for some bad rotoscoping examples)

It's a good starting point to get the basic forms and poses for the animation, but you still need to put a fair bit of work into it to get something good. (Basically the same deal with Mocap in 3d)
Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »

Here's a tip.

Take a picture of an animation laid out. Here's a simple one from Animator's Survival Kit:

Look at the picture closely, study all of the parts that are in a different position in the next pose. Now begin imagining that still picture moving in your mind. Keep your mind focused on building a moving image. After a while, an image of some sort of moving character should begin to build up within your mind. Try to make it clearer and clearer. This moving image within your mind and your capability to separate it into parts like in the picture is the source in your head which helps you when you want to draw a moving character.

This is basically the same principle as with drawing compelling still pictures: Looking at everything around you, building a library of images within your mind. Now, instead of only trying to remember the interesting details on stuff around you in still images, begin looking at the interesting details in movement. Every walk and smile is different.

When looking at an already moving picture, try to separate it into still images similar to the one I posted. When looking at still images already separated into parts, try to put them together and build a moving entity within your mind.
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »

Also, make sure to study references constantly. They will be your savior.

..and practice drawing daily. That should be obvious, though.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic