Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:31:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Lakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!  (Read 36798 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »

There is no justice in the world if this doesn't get greenlit.

I love the way it ends up in space like Jason X.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:26 AM »

Thanks for the support you sexy people! Smiley I really do appreciate all the kind words. I tend to stress about little things a lot, so posting a game to Greenlight hasn't been a very fun experience. :D

In other news:
I added destructible buildings to the game. And by destructible I mean I change the buildings graphics if there's an explosion inside it. Still fun Smiley
And as a bonus; a melted face!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »

Wow, that trailer was fantastic. So reading through the devlog, this isn't just your standard point-n-click, but you can use weapons and fight enemies and other cool scenarios?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »

Yeah you can use weapons. Smiley They just work like they usually do in horror movies. So don't expect the killer to stay down with a single shotgun blast. You have to get a bit more creative with the stuff. Wink Hopefully that will equal cool scenarios.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 03:48:09 AM »

Haven't updated this in a long time! I'm still very much working on this game and here's a little gif showing latest additions.

If one of your characters get killed off-screen, the killer may put them up on display in the level.
This of course horrifies other characters and they might even vomit. I really need to work on the puke-graphics but at least it's working for now. Smiley

So dumb stuff but that's the stuff I can actually show you! I've mostly been fixing bugs lately and trying to get the games fps a bit better.

I'm also thinking about using the new games engine to remake the original Lakeview Cabin. For free of course! The Greenlight has been a bit dead lately so I think a free "HD remake" would help with that.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »

Haven't updated this thing in a long time. Took a few weeks off from developing it to focus on my Ludum Dare game. Now I opened it again and I feel kinda dispassionate about it. I've also been secretly wishing that I was making it in pixels again. I asked for peoples opinion on Twitter and everyone seemed to agree that the pixels were better. So now I'm even more disheartened about the whole game.

Downside is that I'd basically be dumping almost a years worth of work down the garbage. There's also been some good press on the game and I'm kinda ashamed about not delivering the product that I promised.
On the upside... I'd probably be happier? I guess that should be worth of something.

So what do you think?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »

Haven't updated this thing in a long time. Took a few weeks off from developing it to focus on my Ludum Dare game. Now I opened it again and I feel kinda dispassionate about it. I've also been secretly wishing that I was making it in pixels again. I asked for peoples opinion on Twitter and everyone seemed to agree that the pixels were better. So now I'm even more disheartened about the whole game.

Downside is that I'd basically be dumping almost a years worth of work down the garbage. There's also been some good press on the game and I'm kinda ashamed about not delivering the product that I promised.
On the upside... I'd probably be happier? I guess that should be worth of something.

So what do you think?
I think the cartoony art style has a lot of character and charm, and I don't think pixels would be able convey the gruesome body horror of that Thing-esque transformation from the trailer. Scenes like that are what sold me on the game and made me pretty excited for it. The current art style stands out IMO. I like pixel art a lot, but I think the style you have now is very engaging and colorful, and has a level of detail that pixels wouldn't be able to get across.

Personally I hope you don't change the art style

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
RecidivistSW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »

So what do you think?

Sticking with pixel art would have been fine but it looks great in it's current state.  I wouldn't go back.  There is no way that "The Thing" space monster will look any more amazing than it does now.  The trailer with the cartoony art looks amazing.  Soldier on!

(Also, I would forgo the temptation of doing any game gams, making any new prototypes, etc.  The 20/80 rule is a bitch but the only thing to do is get you momentum going again and power through it.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:38:17 AM by RecidivistSW » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

You know I've been looking forward to this for ages and it's a travesty that it hasn't been greenlit yet. The art looks great and seems a natural progression from the pixels of the first game.

I'm hoping that this is the part of the movie where the killer has you backed up into a barn and pretty soon you'll burst out riding a bull with a chainsaw in each hand. Smiley

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:34 AM »

What even happened to the greenlight?
I would say stick with the current art, I love pixel art but throwing all the work you've done so far away doesn't seem like a good idea.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 05:42:52 AM »

I'm really sorry, but I decided to go back to the old art style. I appreciate all the positive comments about the old style but the main reason for this change was that I'm happier this way. I wasn't able to convey the mood I was going for with the previous art style and it just made me unhappy with everything I had done. I feel kinda bad that I had to put a lot of work in to the garbage, but fortunately Unity allows me to use a lot of the old code and assets in the new version. It's already more far along than the previous version.

And don't worry about The Thing monster, I already did some tests, and let's just say it works better this way IMHO. Smiley

I also decided to forget about releasing the game in pieces. All the chapters will be immediately playable upon release. I don't like episodic games myself so I don't know what I was thinking before. Of course it would be better from a marketing point of view, but I was unhappy with it. There's just no point in all of this if I'm not happy. Hope you all understand and you still want to play the game.

PS: I'm unsure what to do with the Greenlight. Should I just update the page since it's merely a cosmetic change, or should I just re-post as a new game. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 07:15:13 AM »

Well how many votes do you have on the greenlight so far? If you've already got a lot I don't think it would be a good idea to dump it and start again.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »

I have gotten a lot of votes, it's more of a moral dilemma for me. Tongue They voted for a game that looks different. It's still the same game, just not sure how people will take it. They can always change their vote if they don't like it, right? Or maybe I'm just too concerned about a dumb thing like this. :D

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »

Yeah if they don't like it they can always change their vote.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:03 AM »

Worked on gasoline and fire stuff. Not sure yet how I want the enemy to react to fire. I have a couple things I've been thinking about, have to test them to see which one is the most fun.
Other news: development is going well, really really happy how everything feels more crunchy and "snappy" now, if you know what I mean.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 02:33:31 AM »

The vomit animation is amazing  Beer! ant that "pig" is awesome too
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:49 AM »

i'm of a mixed bag here; really glad you're feeling motivated but i have to admit i'm another fan of the toonier art style myself; the character designs in pixel form are somewhat ugly in comparison, and lack a lot of the charm.

but obviously you being happy with the end result is what matters the most. good luck with this.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:36 AM »

Thanks for being honest. Smiley I'm definitely more motivated with this style, don't know why. I hope people will like it once they play it. I can honestly say it is a better game now.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 02:59:08 AM »

I'm also a bigger fan of toonier art style in general but I must admit that I prefer the new pixel style, even more after seeing the particle effects with the fire.

Keep up the good work!

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2014, 03:06:51 AM »

I'm also a bigger fan of toonier art style in general but I must admit that I prefer the new pixel style, even more after seeing the particle effects with the fire.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you, the particle effects are a lot easier to make pretty now. One of the reasons this version makes me a lot happier. Smiley I'm able to put a lot more stuff on the screen without sacrificing any frame-rate.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic