Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:24:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Smash Ball
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Super Smash Ball  (Read 17321 times)
Conker534
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »

I like #2 the most, fits the graphic style by far the most.
Guv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »

I would suggest a mix.

Maybe successful returns of the ball, builds its power and speed? As the power/speed increases, you could turn the glow effect on. When the power/speed is really going, it could be red/firey.

Kinda like Tekken Ball.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »

I like #2 the most, fits the graphic style by far the most.
Yeah I love the smoke, that would need to be in there in any case.

I would suggest a mix.

Maybe successful returns of the ball, builds its power and speed? As the power/speed increases, you could turn the glow effect on. When the power/speed is really going, it could be red/firey.

Kinda like Tekken Ball.
I wanted to prevent using multiple colors just to display it's power/damage, because I might switch from green to a different color when the ball gains other properties (a temporary state where the next shot is powered up for example).

In the end I tweaked the glow and just went for a mix. I think it looks good for now.
I've added some new graphics for the dash aswell, it's alot clearer to see what's going on now.

I had a little play session with a friend today, it was pretty fun.

I love how he trolls me here.

This shows some of the more fast paced action with the dash.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:51:51 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

Blambo
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »

This looks sick! It's like platformer windjammers
Savick
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »

I hope you get an artist you like for this! It looks like a fantastic concept for fast paced fun.  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »

Saw this on screenshot Saturday! Keep it up looks super fun.

Conker534
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »

I can't wait to see high level play for this game.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »

This looks sick! It's like platformer windjammers
Yeah windjammers is a great source of inspiration Smiley It feels alot different to play though, since you can't "hold" the ball in smashball.

I can't wait to see high level play for this game.
Yeah that's definately something I'm keeping in mind while developing the game. During the playsession with my friend we already found some "advanced" moves where you charge your shot and dash towards the ball.
When timed perfectly it feels very good.

Balancing will be very hard though, and I also have to find a way to make 4 player mode not total chaos :p

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

Just popping in to say that these latest gifs are looking really promising. I think you're gonna have an awesome game on your hands here.

You can tell just from these early gameplay excerpts that the final game is going to have some serious depth and fun factor.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »

Just popping in to say that these latest gifs are looking really promising. I think you're gonna have an awesome game on your hands here.

You can tell just from these early gameplay excerpts that the final game is going to have some serious depth and fun factor.
Thanks, the gifs make it look better than it is though. At times it feels really clumsy and you're just running towards the ball like 2 goofballs. There is definetely still some basic stuff missing, but I can't lay my finger on it.

As a pause from all the tweaking I worked on some of the super moves, they look totally over the top and are alot of fun to use, but are less powerfull as may seem.

Whilst overwhelmingly powerfull, the beam takes a while to start, and moves slowely, so you opponent has enough time to manouver the ball away. (the AI in the gif is just really bad haha)
However, if you do get the first shot in it's easy to score multiple goals in a row.
The beam will also be a great tool for destroyable objects which will be introduced later in the game.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »

No replies to the beam? I kind of like it haha.

It's been a while since the last update.  I've done alot of tweaking to the ball and the basic punches, it now reacts a bit better with rotation velocity and such.

I've added one of the level features I posted a while ago, the cage.

During a match the cage might drop in the center of the screen. The cage has an amount of damage that needs to be dealth before it breaks.

Here's where another new feature comes into play; The ball tracks whoever last hit, indicated by the inner circle on the ball.

The cage uses this mechanic to track who dealt the most damage before it was destroyed. The player with the most damage is indicated with a crown when the cage is destroyed.
Upon it's destruction a swarm of frogs is released. The crowned player is not bothered by the frogs, neither is the ball when it is in his possesion.

The uncrowned player will have collision with the frogs, as do his shots on the ball.

The frogs can be destroyed by the uncrowned player by hitting the ball against the frogs with X velocity.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:30:49 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »

OH GOD SO MANY FROGS! Durr...?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Jayden
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 12:24:38 AM »

looks really fun, even from the first few gifs!
Kekec
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 03:34:05 AM »

If you guys find this fun, you should go play Rayman Legends' Kung Foot. When I first saw this game I thought OP took the idea from there. I've played more of that minigame with my friends than the actual game. Smiley
I hope you add cool stuff OP, like different levels and interactions within, as well as different ball types, characters and weapons. That'd be awesome.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »

If you guys find this fun, you should go play Rayman Legends' Kung Foot. When I first saw this game I thought OP took the idea from there. I've played more of that minigame with my friends than the actual game. Smiley
I hope you add cool stuff OP, like different levels and interactions within, as well as different ball types, characters and weapons. That'd be awesome.

Well , there are hundreds of mini games like Kungfoot on the appstore , so yeah , not original idea
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »

It had the idea for a long time, it was inspired by smash brothers, I loved how you could hit the opponent in any direction you'd like.
But it's not an original idea by any length, I just want to make some multiplayer fun.
Kungfoot did was a trigger to start development on this, because of the similarities with the idea I had in mind. It made me think "I could do this better" haha.

The current level is pretty static because that's the best environment to test all the gameplay mechanics. I have 3 other levels thought out right now, but I want to find an artist before I start on that.

millyrainbow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »

the concept at first seems a little dull, but the execution so far seems rather solid. I wouldnt mind trying this out myself one day O:
I especially see this getting into the more 'sporty event' types as well :D
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

the concept at first seems a little dull, but the execution so far seems rather solid. I wouldnt mind trying this out myself one day O:
I especially see this getting into the more 'sporty event' types as well :D
I guess that's a compliment?  Droop

I wacked together a level quickly to see how smaller levels work. I think it will be one of the more hardcore levels. Right now it's still too hard to block shots since the characters are so small, but I played with them on 2x scale and that was alot better.

I modified the dash a bit too, when you hold the dash button for it's complete duration you will retain your velocity of the dash. This is great for getting back to you goal quickly when your opponent is on the offense.

I've focused too much on the offensive part of the game and now the defensive part is lacking.

I've been thinking about this feature from the beginning, and I think I'm gonna try and see how it works in the game soon.
- Shield
Some sort of large shield in front of the player to cover a bigger area to block. The shield's duration would be very short, requireing high reflexes.
Upon a sucessfull block a small shockwave would be occur, knocking back opponents a bit. This gives the defending player an opening for attack, and also reduces mindless hitting on the ball during the game a bit.

I'm also gonna modify the dash to make it easier to block stuff with it.

I've been having more problems with my health lately. I have some interest from artists, but to step up the tempo a bit I'm gonna consider paying them up front a bit instead of solely providing rev-share.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »

I've added the shield. To keep it balanced it duration is very short and there is a bit of a cooldown.
It blocks shots, and when the time between starting the shield and blocking the shot is smaller than 200ms it will act as a counter, knocking back your opponent to give you an opening for offensive manouvers.

I like the way it turned out, but I still have to playtest against human opponents to see how it works in a real situation.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »

Really like what you have so far.  Reminds me of an old prototype I had for a dodgeball inspired game.   Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic