Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:35:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Smash Ball
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Super Smash Ball  (Read 17332 times)
neozerahan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »

Gentleman looks awesome and feels epic! Now dont let that negative stuff goin in your head  Lips Sealed and finish the game so that we can play it!  Kiss

check out our game Yummy Bugz @
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38975.0

www.rocksaltgames.com
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »

It's looking nice mate , but the pixel art is clashing with those particles
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »

It's looking nice mate , but the pixel art is clashing with those particles
The art is placeholder, but I do want to mix pixel art with particles. It's hard to see in the shit quality gifs, but the particles are actually very low-res and blocky themselves.
There are other games that mix these styles very well, Touhou 10.5, Ys: Oath of Felghana and Ragnarok Online are some games that use it.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

I'm currently changing the character placeholder for a bigger sprite, it's ugly as hell but the smalll size of the character has been messing with the gameplay for too long.

Yea it's still mario, I can't be bothered to make anything else since it's placeholder anyway :p

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »

I realised the game was way too fast, it was pretty much impossible to react to opponent's shot because they were way too fast.
I also played some towerfall recently and it really came clear to me that the game doesn't have to be lighting fast to be competitive. So I slowed the whole game down, the characters are slower and the ball's max velocity is lower.
It's now alot easier to react to events in the game, it feels alot better.

I also added some new features.

- New sprites
The new sprite is about 1.5 times as large as the previous one and it makes the game so much better, the size really was a big issue. It's alot easier to both hit and defend the ball now thanks to bigger hitboxes.

- Better AI
I had to improve the AI since I can't play against any human opponents most of the time. The AI can now jump and dash. It will also move from an offensive to a defensive mode situationally.

- Timer in seperated mode
The mode with the seperator in the center of the screen now features a timer. The ball can't be on the ground for a certain amount of time or else it will result in a goal for the opponent. This steps up the tempo and prevents player from keeping the ball on their own side unnecasarily long.

- Stun/knockback upon hit

Whenever your character is hit by a strong shot you get knockedbacked and stunned for 0.5 seconds. This opens up some space for offensive manouvers. You can prevent this by either counter hitting the ball, dashing, or using your shield.
This mechanic really requires you to keep your guard up and not play mindlessly offensive.

Here's a situation where you are able to block the shot with a shield-break (counter, which also inflicts stun ).

And here's a situation where the shield's timing was incorrect, resulting in an absolute stun rape  Big Laff

I had improved the dash's block capabilitty a while ago. The entire segment that was covered by the dash now has a barrier for 0.5 seconds. Allows for some great last moment saves

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:41:57 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »

OH DAYUM THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME

So long and thanks for all the pi
poe
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »

Looking great, but will there be online multiplayer?
kednar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »

This game looks really fun!! The fact that there are other similar games should motivate you to search for something unique, distinctive. Go for it!!

Did you find an artist yet?
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »

seems fun to play, is it only local or will it feature online multi?

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »

Looking great, but will there be online multiplayer?
seems fun to play, is it only local or will it feature online multi?

I've been thinking about it, I worked solely on online multiplayer games for 10 month's at my previous job, so I have some knowledge on the subject. I would probably have to slow the game down to cope for the lag. I don't want to make any compromises on the gameplay, so there probably will be no online multiplayer.
I also think this kind of game will be a lot more fun with some friends on the couch.

This game looks really fun!! The fact that there are other similar games should motivate you to search for something unique, distinctive. Go for it!!

Did you find an artist yet?
Thanks! Yeah the game right now already feels pretty different than similiar ball games.
I had contact with an artist with the perfect style for this game. Unfortunately he hasn't responded for 3 weeks, it's a real bummer.

So I'm still looking. I'm really coming to the point where I'm sick of looking at these debug graphics, I hope I find someone soon. I was thinking of making a topic in the buisness section, but I don't think it'll grab any attention the way it looks right now.

Whenever I'm tired of tweaking existing features I take some time to experiment. Right now I'm playing with influence on the ball's direction after a charged hit.

It's really fun to play with. This amount of curving is too extreme for a normal move though, but it would be great for a powerup.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:17:41 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »

I love how you scaled the game!!
RedMeatGame
Level 0

Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »

Cool I like the idea and it looks like rope ability increases the sill cap of this game a lot. If you can get better at a game you keep playing it or at least that's what I'm like. I also like how the character movement flows so well.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »

Cool I like the idea and it looks like rope ability increases the sill cap of this game a lot. If you can get better at a game you keep playing it or at least that's what I'm like. I also like how the character movement flows so well.
I'm still not sure what to do with the rope, at this time you have access to it for 20% energy, which is convenient but sometimes it feels a bit like cheating haha.

I've finished the curving mechanic, I can't imagine the game without it anymore, it works great.
It's a bit hard to see, but the charged punch now has a forward motion, giving you a bit more range.
I've also added some knockback to the punches, which makes the game a bit more balanced; whenever you go into offense with the charged punch you pay a price (the knockback) which gives the other player a reward for defending the shot; an opening for a counter-attack.

The more I work on the game the more I get a feeling for this gain/lose philosophy.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »

Is there an email address I can reach you at?

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2014, 03:24:33 PM »

Is there an email address I can reach you at?
Check out this topic
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39546.0
Contact info is at the bottom

I've been very busy e-mailing with artists. I've had some great responses after placing an ad in the buisness section. I will probably pick someone next week.

In anticipation of finally finding an artist I focused on some more visual stuff. I finally implemented the water that I had prototyped in processing a few weeks back.

I also made a tilemap editor, which can be edited within unity's edit mode.

It doesn't have support for "holes" in the mesh yet, which is pretty important since there is going to be alot of empty space in the grid. So it's not usable yet. Kind of burned out on that though. First time dealing with generating meshes haha.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

gorgeous water, mandude  Shocked

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »

Cant wait to play this, it's got great motion!

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »

An email lies in wait.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

I've found an artist, hurray. We're still discussing terms, so I'll wait a bit before posting the mockup he made.

In the meanwhile I did some boring stuff, cleaned up some code and stuff.

During playtests I noticed that there are moments where you want to get the ball in the opposite direction, mostly to get it away from your goal. I wasn't sure how to handle this. I tried to implement grabbing, where you could grab and throw the ball. But I found myself instinctively trying to punch the ball to the other direction, so I removed the grab.

I fixed it like so;

When you hit the ball you have 100ms to flick the joystick in the opposite direction, doing this will move the character to the other side of the ball, and inverts the ball direction. It looks kind of silly without an animation, but I think it's a nice solution.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »

So here's the mockup of the artist I ended up choosing;

This character and level will be one of many different themes in the game. This character specifically will probably take place of the "all-around" character in terms of power and speed.

Here are 2 other mockups I had received and was allowed to share here.

Here's a cool reptile-ish character Marc-André Toupin made, I love how silly he looks haha

A quick mockup by David.
Kind of reminds me of super dodgeball haha.

It was really fun seeing different views that people had on the game.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 06:03:12 AM »

Gorg! :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic