Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 07:04:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRealistic planetary physics 2D action/puzzle game beta.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Realistic planetary physics 2D action/puzzle game beta.  (Read 2742 times)
yaaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »

The game my team is working on, Luna's Wandering Stars, is in beta right now, and I'd love for you guys to try it out and provide any comments/critiques you may have.

We also have an online questionnaire (http://ucsas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6llGVd4aAwDSoVT) that I'd super-duper-greatly appreciate you fill out once you've played enough of it.

Win: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hl0qm81ei2lvdz/LWS_Betav0.7.9.8.5.zip

Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjfcnkr9zxmzl4z/LWS_Mac_Betav0.7.9.8.5.zip

Questionnaire: http://ucsas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6llGVd4aAwDSoVT

The beta has 90 levels, and 9 unique planetary "powers" that are switched up every 10 levels (aka every time you move from one planet to another). There's still a lot of tweaking to be done (especially difficulty and ease of use of the some the later powers/levels). This is going to be our first commercial game, so we're super excited to show it off to fellow indie devs! Again, I'd love feedback of any kind. Thanks!

Greenlight link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182979907
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:22:16 PM by yaaar » Logged

Games that add value and challenge.

Facebook|Twitter|Website
yaaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »

Also, in case you want to skip a planet in the beta and move on to other planets, all you have to do is enter the Konami Code (http://gamersushi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/the-code.jpg) on the MAIN MENU of the game. It will unlock all planets.

Facebook|Twitter|Website
yaaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »

So, it seems like a good number of people have checked this thread out. I'd really appreciate ANY feedback (even if it's about how you didn't feel like playing the game once you downloaded it; why didn't you want to?). Please help us out Smiley

Facebook|Twitter|Website
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:28:58 PM »

Checked out the thread, but am a dirty Linux user; tried running the windows version thrhough Wine but no luck! Sorry fellow nerd, I got nothing to give!

Edit: Greenlight video is cool though!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »

The dialog is cute, but I'm not willing to wait for it. The spacebar should make all the text appear instantly so I can actually read it, and then you press it *again* to make it go away...

I didn't understand the instructions at the beginning; maybe you should tell users to click and drag to set the initial velocity? Or start the first level with an arrow pointing to the moon and don't let users start the level until they have set a velocity? I was (for whatever reason) trying to do stuff *after* starting the level. It didn't occur to me for maybe 90 seconds and way too many crashes that I was supposed to do something before hitting the "go" button to start playing the level.

I like the music. Maybe it's Holst's The Planets, but I always think space games should have vaguely classical music. Very nice.

Other than that...I got fed up with it pretty quickly. I forced myself to play the first 18 or 19 levels, but I was done with the game after the first 9 or 10. I feel like it was usually obvious what you were supposed to do. So it wasn't interesting problem solving and getting creative with looping around things in unusual ways, it was just a whole lot of annoying fiddling around to get the orbit *just* right.

And when you get to the first of the bigger levels you should point out that you can drag the background to look around. And zooming would be nice. The huge mine-pathway in Venus that you have to dodge through was just annoying because you couldn't see what to expect, so instead of being able to check out the level and plan ahead, you had to work your way through the first part and then find out that there was something else ridiculous trying to kill you.

I dunno, maybe I'm not your target audience. But it felt like the Super Meat Boy of orbital mechanics games, and it was too slow-paced for me to be OK with dying and trying again a million times. And you can't speed it up because you need the time to respond...

I wish I had more constructive feedback to give you...but I don't know how to fix it. I think it's just really hard to make pure physics-based puzzles that aren't horribly fiddly. You see this with things like Fantastic Contraption and all those sorts of games inspired by The Incredible Machine: there are some fun puzzles at the beginning, and then they devolve into a long tweak/run cycle. Only there you often get silly and interesting things happening when you fail; here you're mostly just dying in the same way again and again.

Anyway, best of luck. Wishing you lots of fans who do have the tenacity to love playing this sort of thing, Smiley

--Josh
yaaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:23 AM »

jgrams, thank you so much for the feedback! You made some really stop-on points about the issues with this build. I really hope you can continue offering us feedback once we get an updated build up and running Smiley

Facebook|Twitter|Website
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic